Jose Mourinho thread

I think you need to be able to draw the line between football and personal stuff.

I find benitez quite a decent bloke and he's a good manager too. I'm pleased he is at a club where he's close to his family after years apart after leaving Liverpool and where he's got a good relationship with his fans. I don't wish him any personal ill and I don't think anyone should really. 

But he was never right for Chelsea given the rivalry his side had with Jose's , given comments he made when he was Liverpool manager and given his decision not yo retract some of them . It was a terrible move by the club and a nakedly cateerist (though more understable) move by him. 

It still annoys me that the club thought it was acceptable and is a great example of the gap between corporate ownership mentality and a football fanbase. 

We threw it away yes, but it is a cup worth winning in name only, completely pointless. We only needed to win two matches and one of them was against Monterrey, hardly representative as a tournament where the winners of six continental federations pit their wits for football supremacy.

On 30 October 2016 at 07:31, barak81 said:

Always loved Jose, backed him till that last and didn't want him to go. 

That being said, I'm enjoying the failure at united much more then I'd imagined. I initially thought i would be torn, wanting only the worst for united but not wanting to see Jose suffer with them, I'm surprisingly much more ok with it then I thought.

on the man him self

this is what I think... Jose was well ahead of the curv, a pure man motivator with fresh, if some one pragmatic ideas about the game, he left no stone unturned in his preperation for matches and always had multiple plans. I would still argue that the 2004/5 side was the best in the world and the beat the prem has ever seen. 

But I think he's been caught up, much like wenger, unless you are going forwards your going backwards and with the likes of klop,conte , porch etc there are more managers on these shours brining a new level to thing. Jose will have to adapt, much like fergi did time and time again, hopefully it happens when he goes back to inter 

It really was the best ever Premier League winning side, of course other fans will probably disagree but look at the reads we broke and how well we played against teams, I think that season we really hut our stride after Christmas and if we went 1-0 up that was it game over.  

On 30 October 2016 at 22:49, sonic90 said:

On Jose sucking up to United fans:

It's just what he does to buy himself time, if you watch the pre match interview before the game he actually says he never had fans like Chelsea fans before lol, even when we were losing almost every week he can walk down King's Road and not have a word of abuse.

On Rafa:

f**k that noise, Robbie was challenging for the title since day 1, he would've won the Europa League anyway with the sh*te we played against to win it and don't forget he beat United in the league cup so it was basically ours but no FSW couldn't beat Swansea over 2 legs. I took a day off to watch the CWC Final as well you fat bar steward.

The thing is Abramovich never wanted to give RDM the job, he had to cause he'd won the Champions League. The fact he took his time giving him the job says it all and I think from memory he was chasing Guardiola at the time.

23 hours ago, Charles Ryder said:

People like to dismiss the Club World Cup but we may never get the chance to win it again.

Yep. This is the only trophy that i haven't seen us win yet since i became a Chelsea fan and i would love us to one day win it. You have to win the Champions League to even get in it so it's not a competition we will be involved in all that often. Hopefully we get another chance one day soon.

On 2/11/2016 at 08:44, Bobbywoodhogan said:

It really was the best ever Premier League winning side, of course other fans will probably disagree but look at the reads we broke and how well we played against teams, I think that season we really hut our stride after Christmas and if we went 1-0 up that was it game over.  

With the goal of football being to win matches, and hence, points, surely 95 points is a more impressive achievement than going 'undefeated'.

27 minutes ago, Englishman said:

What made the Benitez thing worse was the way we dumped Robbie, who had done nothing to deserve the sack, to make way for him. That's still the sacking that annoys me the most.

I know it was all very unfortunate and we all thought a lot of RDM but regrettably it was inevitable.

Of course the FSW coming in made the situation a whole lot worse but in hindsight RDM should never really have got the job in the first place. He's an okay coach and somehow led us to the CL (but the will of the players / written in the stars had a lot to do with it). I think his record since then has shown that he hasn't got what it takes to manage a top club and he was never going to last long-term.

Yeah even after the CL win you knew a bad run of form and Robbie would be a goner. Roman clearly didn't want him as a long term choice but his hands were tied after the double.

Robbie got less time than most but his record since he left suggests that he was never going to be a successful long term choice for us. He done brilliantly to get the dressing room back and the players fighting for those two finals but that's as good as it got.

I think Benitez coming in made it 100* worse because we sacked a legend who just won the big one and hired the man most of us hate most of all in football management.

I wish Robbie well in football but I honestly see him as more of a number 2 than an actual manager.

1 hour ago, Nibs said:

I know it was all very unfortunate and we all thought a lot of RDM but regrettably it was inevitable.

Of course the FSW coming in made the situation a whole lot worse but in hindsight RDM should never really have got the job in the first place. He's an okay coach and somehow led us to the CL (but the will of the players / written in the stars had a lot to do with it). I think his record since then has shown that he hasn't got what it takes to manage a top club and he was never going to last long-term.

He was clearly doing something right though. He got the players on side, which AVB had failed to do, galvanised us and ending up achieving something that no other Chelsea manager has done. Maybe he shouldn't have got the job but after winning the CL he couldn't not get the job. My problem was really that he hadn't done a whole lot wrong when he got sacked. We were playing some fantastic football and were 4 points from 1st (and it would have been closer but for that dreadful Clattenburg performance against United). I'm sure he could have matched Benitez and won the Europa League.

1 hour ago, Englishman said:

He was clearly doing something right though. He got the players on side, which AVB had failed to do, galvanised us and ending up achieving something that no other Chelsea manager has done. Maybe he shouldn't have got the job but after winning the CL he couldn't not get the job. My problem was really that he hadn't done a whole lot wrong when he got sacked. We were playing some fantastic football and were 4 points from 1st (and it would have been closer but for that dreadful Clattenburg performance against United). I'm sure he could have matched Benitez and won the Europa League.

I know, it seemed harsh and was sad because Robbie was one of our own. But you say he didn't do a lot wrong - we were CL Holders and we got knocked out at the group stage. That was enough for the powers that be to press the button.

42 minutes ago, Nibs said:

I know, it seemed harsh and was sad because Robbie was one of our own. But you say he didn't do a lot wrong - we were CL Holders and we got knocked out at the group stage. That was enough for the powers that be to press the button.

On goal difference in a tough group. Is that really a sackable offence? Only by our ridiculous standards. Fergie, Wenger, Conte and Benitez have all been knocked out in the group stages before and kept their jobs. That same season City finished bottom of their group and didn't even win a match.

I think when he was sacked we had only won 2 out of last 8 or so games? Not that it was any reason to sack him as we were only 4 points off the pace when he was sacked and in third place.

You always got the feeling Roman was just waiting for the first mini crisis or result to pull the trigger on Robbie which was quite ruthless after everything he achieved a matter of months before.

I don't think we would have done any better had we stuck with him mind you but there was no reason to sack when the best available replacement was Benitez. Had we appointed someone like Guardiola or the likes you would maybe see the long term picture at the time but it was a kick in the teeth when it was Rafa who came in.

I think we can all agree Robbie was treated very harshly.

9 hours ago, Englishman said:

The problem was under Robbie we were nosediving, we looked a more expensive version of his WBA team in the prem and were totally disjointed, had he stayed the season could have had a similar outlook to 15\16 and not only that, his record since vindicates his sacking. A lot was made of Roman disrespect the fans with that move but i personally believe he gave Robbie the full time job because of the fans, unless it was to make way for Joses return, letting RDM go after Munich would have destroyed the feel good factor we had all summer.

7 hours ago, Englishman said:

On goal difference in a tough group. Is that really a sackable offence? Only by our ridiculous standards. Fergie, Wenger, Conte and Benitez have all been knocked out in the group stages before and kept their jobs. That same season City finished bottom of their group and didn't even win a match.

We actually went out on head to head, the Champions League doesn't do goal difference. If it came down to goal difference we would have gone through, we scored more goals than anyone else in the group stages. We went out on 10 points and scored more goals than anyone in the competition at that point. When you take that into consideration, it was a harsh sacking.

Another poor performance today.  Not sure what's going on, but to be honest, the days of players looking like they'd run through walls for him seem to be a distant memory.

I can't put my finger on what's going on, and without actually being inside the dressing rooms to hear team talks, and see how players react, I can merely speculate.  However, in pure speculation, it looks as if he has been "found out."  And no matter how many "go out and be Champions" type speeches he gives, they seem to be falling on deaf ears because his teams are failing.  I also think that Jose is very stubborn, and absolves himself of any blame.  So, we have him, his ego, one of the largest clubs in the world, a dressing room of egos, and a poor run of form.  I think it all adds up to trouble, and his reluctancy to change will cost him.

I could see him lasting maybe one season at Utd, and they'll can him.  I don't think he was a good appointment for them, and Charlton et all were talking about how he may not be Manchester Utd material even prior to him arriving.  Look, in the past, when he was our manager, our saviour, the second coming, etc.  We all knew he was a prick, but he was ours and he was a winner.  We would side with him in believing there was a campaign against us.  We would side with him when things went wrong. We loved him as one of our own.  These days, he isn't winning, he is still complaining and being fined, and he is extremely quick to point blame at his players (both here, and at Utd).  Comments along the lines of "I've given them all my knowledge, the players have let me down" who just how much he has a "well, I'm a champion, so I can't be wrong" attitude.  I'm actually glad I don't have to justify him any longer. 

I fully expect him to take a break from club football for a while.  Maybe he'll end up as Portugal's national team manager; however, I also think he couldn't stand to not eb in the limelight as little as National Team managers are.  If he does take a break, I also think he'll use that time to talk sh*t about Chelsea and Man Utd.  Gotta protect that Jose brand.

Thanks for reading my conjecture.

Scott

So has he been unlucky and suffered from staffing issues, will he prove he isn't yesterdays man, have United invested in the managerial equivalent of Fernando Torres?

As the future fog clears I guess we will know some of the answers to these questions, right now though I am happier with Conte at the helm than Jose, last season was enough.

It makes you wonder how considered Roman's decision to let him go a second time was.

He will get time and rightly so IMO.

United can't just can every manager every season when it's not going to plan like we have done...it simply doesn't work. Who would they bring in? It's pointless to bin him after a poor season (if it does end that way). Give him another few windows with the blank cheque book and he will revamp the side to his liking....United wont hold back in the spending unlike our board did after the title win so he has a good chance of getting his 1st choice players.

I don't think he trusts many of the players he has inherited and I'd imagine some of them don't take to Jose either especially the ones he is slating in the press.

Man United need to stick with him and let him build a side he in his image.

13 hours ago, mad_mac said:

I can't put my finger on what's going on, and without actually being inside the dressing rooms to hear team talks, and see how players react, I can merely speculate.  However, in pure speculation, it looks as if he has been "found out."  And no matter how many "go out and be Champions" type speeches he gives, they seem to be falling on deaf ears because his teams are failing.  I also think that Jose is very stubborn, and absolves himself of any blame.  So, we have him, his ego, one of the largest clubs in the world, a dressing room of egos, and a poor run of form.  I think it all adds up to trouble, and his reluctancy to change will cost him.

I know, brilliant isn't it?

14 hours ago, mad_mac said:

Another poor performance today.  Not sure what's going on, but to be honest, the days of players looking like they'd run through walls for him seem to be a distant memory.

I could see him lasting maybe one season at Utd, and they'll can him.  I don't think he was a good appointment for them, and Charlton et all were talking about how he may not be Manchester Utd material even prior to him arriving.  Look, in the past, when he was our manager, our saviour, the second coming, etc.  We all knew he was a prick, but he was ours and he was a winner.  We would side with him in believing there was a campaign against us.  We would side with him when things went wrong. We loved him as one of our own.  These days, he isn't winning, he is still complaining and being fined, and he is extremely quick to point blame at his players (both here, and at Utd).  Comments along the lines of "I've given them all my knowledge, the players have let me down" who just how much he has a "well, I'm a champion, so I can't be wrong" attitude.  I'm actually glad I don't have to justify him any longer. 

I fully expect him to take a break from club football for a while.  Maybe he'll end up as Portugal's national team manager; however, I also think he couldn't stand to not eb in the limelight as little as National Team managers are.  If he does take a break, I also think he'll use that time to talk sh*t about Chelsea and Man Utd.  Gotta protect that Jose brand.

Thanks for reading my conjecture.

Scott

Think this is all pretty well said, and I agree with everything. 

Back in the day of 04/05 he'd never blame his players, I think he is jaded.