Michy Batshuayi to Chelsea

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I think the discussion around lukaku leaving illustrates

That (1) lukaku wasn't fitting in with Jose and I recall him always shooting his mouth off. I can excuse that in a young talented guy, probably no different to a young tennis player, but still it gets noticed. (2) jose's last spell was very destructive and seemed to build fear rather than the loyalty of his first spell. We sold a lot of talented players and didn't replace them properly.

I am hopeful that with conte we may have a bright new future. Not disrespecting Josie's achievements but seemed to come at a very heavy price.

Lukaku and Costa would not make a good pairing in my view. This may turn out better, although more risky. I also think lukaku's size will make for a shorter rather than longer career, but then i have a lot of left field thought bubbles.

Basthuayi will be better than Lukaku after just one season at Chelsea, Forget Lukaku - he flopped at Chelsea, move on and let's use what we have. He's going to give us goals and we are going to do well under Conte. Stop this whining and just love what's coming. I'm excited for next season. Come on Chelsea!!

I'm not denying what Lukaku has done elsewhere but this is purely Chelsea I am talking about.

If he shone or at least showed something in those cameos or league cup games he would have got more chances, that's what Traore did, he had three sub appearances, not only looked good but netted in all three, and was rewarded with a fair few starts and was trusted ahead of experienced alternatives when Diego went off vs PSG, he earned that, he didn't get it handed to him just because he is young and "deserves' a chance.

At any top club, you are not going to get a run of games if you are not showing anything, and Lukaku didn't, if Rashford f**ked up vs Arsenal he would have had to wait longer for more chances, but he didn't and the rest is history.

The 500 minutes at chelsea? Spanned over 2/3 seasons? Most of them as a teenager? sorry, but would DD have survived that test? I think not.

I think Lukaku was quite good against bayern in his sub appearance. Worked his ass off and made a couple of brilliant runs. Specially one where I think Lahm made a great tackle or he would have gone 1v1 against Neuer. It ended anti-climatic with lukaku missing the Penalty but that was a very good performance. 

Again, You are misplacing Traore and Lukaku's positions. playing a second fiddle to Costa would be acceptable to 99% of the strikers in the world. Moreover, like i said before, Traore did not score 17 league goals for WBA, more than double of torres and Ba's combined tally. THATS the difference here. That he did not get a chance. Would you work your ass off knowing that your manager would not give you a single oppurtunity or your boss is going to screw you over no matter how hard you worked? That was lukaku's situation. Traore got a chance from Guss, not Jose. If i remember correctly, jose still bought on falcao numerous times when we trailed. So you cant compare these 2 cause there situation simply was not the same. 

Lukaku did not get a run of games. A league cup match is played every one month. He was 18 years old then. RAW TALENT. if every time you start a young player and he flopped, and you kept rejecting him, then you would never him a decent young player coming through. Delle Ali just had a shocker of a euro. Each game. Does this mean to drop him forever? Hell no. Some players are worth sticking for, and Lukaku was one of them.

Don't know much about this kid but within two minutes of him coming on for Belgium the other day I thought, sod the rest we need this lad. Couldn't tell you exactly why but he instantly looked like he had something special about him to me.

I for one hope we get this finalised.

There's something about Tinga.

There's something about Mitchy.

Sounds good.

Don't know much about this kid but within two minutes of him coming on for Belgium the other day I thought, sod the rest we need this lad. Couldn't tell you exactly why but he instantly looked like he had something special about him to me.

Yes - he is athletic and with how I've seen Contes teams play, he's a perfect fit. I'm excited and this kids will get he goals. He comes with no buggage and huge expectations too, means less pressure so we need this kind of signing

Yes - he is athletic and with how I've seen Contes teams play, he's a perfect fit. I'm excited and this kids will get he goals. He comes with no buggage and huge expectations too, means less pressure so we need this kind of signing

Hope you give him some time.

The 500 minutes at chelsea? Spanned over 2/3 seasons? Most of them as a teenager? sorry, but would DD have survived that test? I think not.

I think Lukaku was quite good against bayern in his sub appearance. Worked his ass off and made a couple of brilliant runs. Specially one where I think Lahm made a great tackle or he would have gone 1v1 against Neuer. It ended anti-climatic with lukaku missing the Penalty but that was a very good performance.

Again, You are misplacing Traore and Lukaku's positions. playing a second fiddle to Costa would be acceptable to 99% of the strikers in the world. Moreover, like i said before, Traore did not score 17 league goals for WBA, more than double of torres and Ba's combined tally. THATS the difference here. That he did not get a chance. Would you work your ass off knowing that your manager would not give you a single oppurtunity or your boss is going to screw you over no matter how hard you worked? That was lukaku's situation. Traore got a chance from Guss, not Jose. If i remember correctly, jose still bought on falcao numerous times when we trailed. So you cant compare these 2 cause there situation simply was not the same.

Lukaku did not get a run of games. A league cup match is played every one month. He was 18 years old then. RAW TALENT. if every time you start a young player and he flopped, and you kept rejecting him, then you would never him a decent young player coming through. Delle Ali just had a shocker of a euro. Each game. Does this mean to drop him forever? Hell no. Some players are worth sticking for, and Lukaku was one of them.

I'm not saying he has to be amazing every time he plays at 18, I do however want to see something that makes me look forward to seeing them play again, I never got that with Lukaku that season, quite frankly I enjoyed Abraham's display vs Leicester more than any Lukaku appearances in Chelsea.

Even in a small space of time you got show something, you go for a job interview at 16 and f**k it up massively, are the management going to be like "well he's still young, give him the job see what he can do" if he was nervous but shown something he might get a further chance, but if he ballses it up? Forget it.

Like I said young players don't have to be amazing when they get a chance, they do however have to be a little bit better than beyond hopeless, which Lukaku was every single time he entered the pitch for Chelsea that season.

Well I was actually comparing Traores position under Guus to Romelus under AVB more than either under Jose, Andre turned Romeu into a regular starter, why? Because he had his chances early on (he got even less than Lukaku initially), took them and got more, I don't see any reason as to why Andre wouldn't have afforded Lukaku the same if he impressed.

I'm not saying he has to be amazing every time he plays at 18, I do however want to see something that makes me look forward to seeing them play again, I never got that with Lukaku that season, quite frankly I enjoyed Abraham's display vs Leicester more than any Lukaku appearances in Chelsea.

Even in a small space of time you got show something, you go for a job interview at 16 and f**k it up massively, are the management going to be like "well he's still young, give him the job see what he can do" if he was nervous but shown something he might get a further chance, but if he ballses it up? Forget it.

Like I said young players don't have to be amazing when they get a chance, they do however have to be a little bit better than beyond hopeless, which Lukaku was every single time he entered the pitch for Chelsea that season.

Well I was actually comparing Traores position under Guus to Romelus under AVB more than either under Jose, Andre turned Romeu into a regular starter, why? Because he had his chances early on (he got even less than Lukaku initially), took them and got more, I don't see any reason as to why Andre wouldn't have afforded Lukaku the same if he impressed.

First thing first.

DD, Anelka, Kalou - as "bad" as this line up of replacement strikers is, its a 10000 times better than remy, falcao, pato. So lukaku had NO chance. He was "one for the future". Romeu's competition was literally only Mikel. Essien was injured more often than not, we played a 3 man mid with Lamps, Rambo, Mikel, Meireles and Romeu as options. Compare that to 1 man upfront and a 50 million pound torres (who had to start because of the price tag) along with Anelka and DD as the support cast is not comparable. Again, I feel you are comparing apples and diamonds and coming to the conclusion that apples are useless to eat since they dont sparkle. Well, that not how things work.

We bought lukaku for a reason. Spending 18million on a 17 year old would not have been a decision that was taken in a split second, right? I am sure or atleast I hope it was thought of. Lukaku came short of the expectation, and yet, in the next task set up for him, he scored 17 goals. How can you overlook that? How can you base your decision about a teenager on his 3 starts in the league cup rather than his consistently good/very good performances scoring 17 goals in the next season? And even after that, he impressed in the 13/14 pre-season, he played a couple of good sub-apperances for the club even against a team like Bayern. And then we go on to buy, not rooney/cavani/falcao (of that time), but a semi-retired 33 year old. Meanwhile our coach kept yapping about "young eggs", "small horses". All of this is a world cup year. Well, there are "chances" and then there is what lukaku got. I mean I can imagine what would be going through lukaku's mind when schurrle started the game at OT. He was not just behind Ba and Torres but even apparently behind Schurrle and now Jose wanted to buy another striker. Well, thats fair for a striker who just scored 17 goals, right? And to be fair, lukaku got only 122 minutes after his 17 goals in 12/13, spread over 3 games and no starts.

Edited by didierforever

i don't get why that Lukaku decision impacts any of our future move in transfer market
you say we make a mistake signing Batshuayi because he is more expensive than 28 mil Lukaku

well so what, are we not allowed to sign anybody for more than 28 mill now?
and why are you comparing Batshuayi's price with Lukaku PAST price? he is quoted at 60 mill now. you are acting like we can sign him NOW with only 28 mill

It is interesting, to watch him, and know so little about him.  One thing I've noticed (other than his two-footed-ness) is that he seems to rely a lot on his initial burst of pace.  Watch that Youtube video, and he will have a ball played through to him, and he'll pause, letting the ball run past him while the defender comes to the man...then his first step will burst him away from the defender, creating that crucial first step of separation between him and his defender.

i don't get why that Lukaku decision impacts any of our future move in transfer market

you say we make a mistake signing Batshuayi because he is more expensive than 28 mil Lukaku

well so what, are we not allowed to sign anybody for more than 28 mill now?

and why are you comparing Batshuayi's price with Lukaku PAST price? he is quoted at 60 mill now. you are acting like we can sign him NOW with only 28 mill

Read "properly" and then write.

I have multiple times said that Batshuayi is a talented player.

Was just pointing out the hypocrisy of some on here who ridicule lukaku or "dont rate him", and yet think Batshuayi is going to be world class.

we are heading into the 2016/17 season and people are still crying about Lukaku! :laugh2:

One person, who's either Lukaku himself, his agent or his mam. I just hope he/she has stocked up on tissues as he must be getting through a lot with all these tears. Edited by dkw

Guest Sindre

I'm sensing we will buy another striker yet. Perhaps more a support/link striker.

Wouldn't surprise me eighter. But i can imagine Conte trying to use Hazard in that position.