Michy Batshuayi to Chelsea

JMaher94

7 hours ago, Argo said:

Maybe my standards have got so low in recent years but I didn't actually think Higuain was too bad.

Against teams who played high lines his lack of pace was a serious issue but against low block sides who sit back his movement actually created a lot of space and said movement was a key reason we cut out the LVG esque football and started creating a lot more generally. For example, as soon as he came on at Anfield we created three clear cut chances very quickly. I actually think we could have done with him in some of the December horror games.

He might have worked if he had a pre-season, I agree about him finding space in the box yet often wasn't found by the other attackers.

Of course I don't think he could lead the line like Tammy yet we are playing a different system.

7 hours ago, Argo said:

Maybe my standards have got so low in recent years but I didn't actually think Higuain was too bad.

Against teams who played high lines his lack of pace was a serious issue but against low block sides who sit back his movement actually created a lot of space and said movement was a key reason we cut out the LVG esque football and started creating a lot more generally. For example, as soon as he came on at Anfield we created three clear cut chances very quickly. I actually think we could have done with him in some of the December horror games.

It was the sitters he used to miss that annoyed me, it was like we just brought in Morata 2.0. 

28 minutes ago, GhostOfDembaBa said:

With players in close support around him he's decent and a good finisher. 

I don't see how Dembele is an upgrade though. 

I dont think he offers anything more than playing Willian, CHO or Pulisic or any of our youth team forwards would do. 

He is a lovely bloke it seems so it is a shame he just does not seem a fit for us.

2 hours ago, axman2526 said:

I dont think he offers anything more than playing Willian, CHO or Pulisic or any of our youth team forwards would do. 

He is a lovely bloke it seems so it is a shame he just does not seem a fit for us.

I must disagree. He's a good finisher with both feet - much better than any of the those other guys - and score different types of goals. He's not cut out for leading the line at Chelsea though, in the current system. I'm pretty sure wherever he goes with half decent supply he'll get a good haul of goals each season. 

Edited by GhostOfDembaBa

3 minutes ago, GhostOfDembaBa said:

I must disagree. He's a good finisher with both feet - much better than any of the those other guys - and score different types of goals. He's not cut out for leading the line at Chelsea though, in the current system. I'm pretty sure wherever he goes with half decent supply he'll get a good haul of goals each season. 

I mean in our current system. The way we play he rarely offers anything.

3 hours ago, axman2526 said:

I don't think a 16 year old kid will suddenly become our 2nd choice striker 😆

8 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I don't think a 16 year old kid will suddenly become our 2nd choice striker 😆

Rooney and Whiteside started at 17, just wonder what Frank is thinking here.

Is the kid just a development squad acquisition or is he hoping he can play a role in the senior squad later this season.

15 hours ago, GhostOfDembaBa said:

He's a good player for a side that counter attacks with speed. He won't make it to the absolute top but he's a top 5-10 team type of striker

Edited by Deino

On 13/01/2020 at 01:09, GhostOfDembaBa said:

What happens with Michy at his new club is so predictable.

He will score a solid amount of goals for a Villa/Palace which will lead to some saying we've made a massive mistake without looking at the bigger picture of why he didn't make it here in the first place.

22 minutes ago, Argo said:

What happens with Michy at his new club is so predictable.

He will score a solid amount of goals for a Villa/Palace which will lead to some saying we've made a massive mistake without looking at the bigger picture of why he didn't make it here in the first place.

Spot on. He works well in teams that allow him to have the majority of his touches inside the box and where defenders will give him space to shoot. He's a great finisher, but that doesn't make a good striker these days. His movement off the ball and work with his back to goal is appalling. Pressing is seemingly non existent too. He's almost the reverse Giroud. 

I'm not sure we'll sign a replacement in Jan but Michy is third below Giroud for me. God help us if Tammy gets injured.

He's adding no value what so ever when he's been coming up lately, which means we only have 1 striker in this team. Maybe there's some rift between Giroud and Lampard, I honestly believe against teams defend deep, a big target man could do some damage, or at least create chaos in the box. Giroud has done that for years, Batshuayi hasn't. Lampard is asking for another striker, the people running the club should support him, even if Cavani is not everyone's cup of tea, and it's a short term investment

• 4 weeks later...