In my opinion we have sh*tty negotiators.

When negotiating always have alternative option to go after and let other side know that.

Also we freaking let them know that we want him badly so you can't blame them for wanting ridiculus amount.

To be fair, it's not an easy thing to pull off. It's clear that Conte wanted certain players to arrive and it wasn't for the lack of trying that we didn't get them. Nainggolan was happy to stay put at Roma and the club had no intention of selling him. The same with Morata and Real. If both the club and the player are against the move, what exactly are you supposed to do? In case of Koulibaly at least it looks like the player wants out, but he isn't forcing Napoli's hand, continues to train and play when called upon, which makes De Laurentis' position stronger.

Under the circumstances, you can either walk away and go after your backup options (Maksimovic, Romagnoli etc) which would be a major blow for the new manager who gets none of the players he asked for or keep at it and risk ending up with nothing. Also there are no guarantees you can land the alternative targets, either and the time factor is also important. Arguably timing is the most crucial element here, knowing when to walk away so as to get as much business done as possible before it's too late. I think we failed in that respect last summer and it remains to be seen if we have learned our lesson.

Edited by abramovich

Nothing is easy yet united got Pogba, City got Stones, people we have been actively pursuing. Everyone has a price and if you don't want to pay up, fine. You want to haggle over a few million like Wenger, fine again. But don't complain that life is tough for us.

This!

And when it domes to Stones last summer it was total mess! And some people say we have decent negotiators.

Maria especially is renowned for her ability for Chelsea and in business as well (nike deal).

Throwing money at something doesn't make you a good negotiator. I don't think there is anyone as good as us in the world of football

Oh please. Just think what happened last summer during transfer window. City got Stones for £47million this summer without any nonsense. Let's face it board not always backs our Managers.

Every club has that kind of signings - lately he had Cuadrado, Salah, and even Torres.

No, every club doesn't have those kind of signings. Sterling, Mangala and Bony together cost £120 million. How many clubs can write that off and keep spending big?

Only Torres can be viewed as a major money gamble that didn't work out for us.

No, every club doesn't have those kind of signings. Sterling, Mangala and Bony together cost £120 million. How many clubs can write that off and keep spending big?

Only Torres can be viewed as a major money gamble that didn't work out for us.

Otamendi, Negredo, Delph, Fernando, A few other strikers that I can't seem to recall.

Man City have had a lot more expensive failures than most so I wouldn't be too highly praising of there transfer negotiating

I imagine we will be adding Stones to that list before too long, if he plays anything like he did last season or against Sunderland he will Cost City the League

Edited by PedroMendez

Griezmann had a release clause of 40m before he upped his contract. Also, everyone has a price. Pogba wasn't for sale either.

Griezmann is happy at Atletico and doesn't want to leave, he stated that on many occasions. If he was available, every top club would be interested, not just Chelsea.

Pogba was close to joining us last summer but ultimately decided to stay for one more season. This time around he cost United so much money in transfer fee, agent fees and wage packet that no other club, even Real, was willing to enter into a bidding contest.

People need to get used to the idea that we aren't the richest club anymore, not even close. A lot has changed in the last few years.

Griezmann is happy at Atletico and doesn't want to leave, he stated that on many occasions. If he was available, every top club would be interested, not just Chelsea.

Pogba was close to joining us last summer but ultimately decided to stay for one more season. This time around he cost United so much money in transfer fee, agent fees and wage packet that no other club, even Real, was willing to enter into a bidding contest.

People need to get used to the idea that we aren't the richest club anymore, not even close. A lot has changed in the last few years.

Yeah.

People still expect us to go out and spend £150 odd million every summer but that's just not going to be the case anymore.

2 sides in this league alone can blow us out the water in terms of fee's and wages.

Yeah.

People still expect us to go out and spend £150 odd million every summer but that's just not going to be the case anymore.

2 sides in this league alone can blow us out the water in terms of fee's and wages.

Sounds stupid logic i'm sure but the fact no Champions league this year just adds another hurdle for us this summer. In all likelihood we qualify at the end of the season but nothing is guaranteed. To me the league is more competitive than ever before, at least since I can remember.

Edited by MissouriBlue

He was earning around 120k at AM before he upped his contract. We could have easily doubled it if we hadn't added all the deadwood. No matter how happy a player is, double money talks. We never were after him which is what i don't understand.

Pogba was never close to joining us. We maybe put in a bid on Aug 31 which had no chance of happening. Also, if the reports were true, we bid 90M for Pogba. United got him for 89M + add ons which might push up the price by 10-20M more.

I have no allusions that we need to outspend everyone every year. We don't have 150M to burn each summer. My point is we aren't really utilizing oyr money. We keep buying 10 pedros instead of 1 griezmann. I just brought in Griezmann as an example. Maybe he was ungettable but there were other better players than Salah, Cuadrado and Pedro. Add them all up and they cost 60M, money which could have been well spent on quality instead of quantity. An overhaul of our transfer department especially that high school girls coach needs to happen. His gambles really haven't paid off bar KDB and Lukaku (whom i still think cannot play for Chelsea).

He was earning around 120k at AM before he upped his contract. We could have easily doubled it if we hadn't added all the deadwood. No matter how happy a player is, double money talks. We never were after him which is what i don't understand.

Pogba was never close to joining us. We maybe put in a bid on Aug 31 which had no chance of happening. Also, if the reports were true, we bid 90M for Pogba. United got him for 89M + add ons which might push up the price by 10-20M more.

I have no allusions that we need to outspend everyone every year. We don't have 150M to burn each summer. My point is we aren't really utilizing oyr money. We keep buying 10 pedros instead of 1 griezmann. I just brought in Griezmann as an example. Maybe he was ungettable but there were other better players than Salah, Cuadrado and Pedro. Add them all up and they cost 60M, money which could have been well spent on quality instead of quantity. An overhaul of our transfer department especially that high school girls coach needs to happen. His gambles really haven't paid off bar KDB and Lukaku (whom i still think cannot play for Chelsea).

Brilliant post mate, couldn't agree more. Signings like Miazga and Djilobodji just seem like such a waste of time, effort and money...

Edited by MissouriBlue