Welcome N’Golo Kante

55 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

I disagree, i think if you told him not too wander i think he can adapt to it. Its the best position for him to get into this team.

Easier said than done, brings us back to the phrase old dog new trick. 

Struggling with Kante.  If our defenders can pass better and bring it out on the sides, do we need Jorginho or Kova, and are we just better with Kante sitting infront of the defense.  

No idea if this is accurate, but it does feel as though he concedes more free kicks now and gives the ball away often.  Also has started a pattern with his first touch immediately taking him back towards our goal.  Likely how we receives, but again not sure what is best role or position is these days.

13 hours ago, reparto corse said:

As someone said in the match-thread. Kante hinders us offensively and doesn't do a proper DM's job either when we are defending

That was me.

Kante have declined massively. I don't see half the player he once was in him unfortunately. Sure, a fair bit of it comes down to him not being suited to possession-based football but he's also not nearly as good of a ballwinner, passer or ballcarrier as he once was.

I think we will be a better team if he's sold and we replaced him with Rice.

Wasn't at his best under Sarri either but at least he was still putting in solid performances now and then. Not sure what's happened to him.

Not sure I would sell him though unless we get an outrageous fee, he should just sit on the bench until Joringho is injured or needs a rest.  I have more faith in Jorginho being able to sit in front of a defence than I do Kante.

2 hours ago, Remodez said:

Wasn't at his best under Sarri either but at least he was still putting in solid performances now and then. Not sure what's happened to him.

Not sure I would sell him though unless we get an outrageous fee, he should just sit on the bench until Joringho is injured or needs a rest.  I have more faith in Jorginho being able to sit in front of a defence than I do Kante.

:ohmy:

Have you seen how easily opposition players go past Jorginho?

Kante might have dipped in form, but he still gets a foot in and breaks things up. Players go past Jorginho as if he isn't there - it happens time & again.

Frank thought Jorginho needed resting and long may that rest last!

45 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Kante might have dipped in form, but he still gets a foot in and breaks things up. Players go past Jorginho as if he isn't there - it happens time & again.

He is not fast but Jorginho gets in a lot of interceptions which is more important to me in a DM than running around and sticking your foot in. 

1 hour ago, Nibs said:

I kind of disagree. Even though Jorginho isn’t as physical as Kante we almost always struggle to maintain control in the midfield if he doesn’t play. Having control of the midfield is a key part of the brand of football frank wants to play.

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

We seem to have a lot of good CM's but can't seem to find a way to get any of them to work together. Sometimes it will work one week, then next week it will fall apart.

Having a consistent starting XI will help with that, we will get there eventually.

9 hours ago, Sindre said:

That was me.

Kante have declined massively. I don't see half the player he once was in him unfortunately. Sure, a fair bit of it comes down to him not being suited to possession-based football but he's also not nearly as good of a ballwinner, passer or ballcarrier as he once was.

I think we will be a better team if he's sold and we replaced him with Rice.

Yeah but he's World Class. 

Out of all the things that Lampard is still working on, the fact that he is completely unable to find a balance in regards to our midfield is the most baffling thing.

You have Jorginho, who’s a mainstay at one of the up and coming national teams in Europe at the moment. You have Kovacic, who plays fairly regularly for a very good national team and you have Kanté, who looks very good in France’s team.

Regardless of whether you think Jorginho is too lightweight, Kova not direct enough and Kante not good enough on the ball, you should still be able to form a decent midfield out of these players. Especially when you factor in that Havertz can shoulder a lot of the creative burden.

The fact that Lampard seems to think that Declan Rice, who’s completely average on the ball, is the solution to this conundrum doesn’t assure me for the future. I get that he shouts a lot, is a Chelsea-boy and has grit, but there is not a single top club in Europe who plays with such a poor ball handler at the base of the midfield.

If we absolutely must pick up an English defensive midfield player, Phillips from Leeds would be a far better alternative for what we as a club aspire to be; a modern, dominant team.

5 hours ago, Nibs said:

Jorginho may not be the greatest defensive player to ever live but with him you can atleast say there's a trade off in regards to helping with first phase play and allowing us to control possession.

With Kante (as a sitting DM) he goes charging around all over the place to hunt the ball which gives teams free runs at our defense when they evade him and unlike with Jorgi we get no positive trade off while in possession. This was never his position, even in his prime any attempts to play him there backfired, it's truly staggering how many people call it his "natural position", sheep like mentality at it's finest!

51 minutes ago, Argo said:

With Kante (as a sitting DM) he goes charging around all over the place to hunt the ball which gives teams free runs at our defense when they evade him and unlike with Jorgi we get no positive trade off while in possession. This was never his position, even in his prime any attempts to play him there backfired, it's truly staggering how many people call it his "natural position", sheep like mentality at it's finest!

I first noticed that under Conte when Matic's face looked in sheer panic as he faced two attackers coming at him, funny though we still won more than we lost.  

6 minutes ago, driller97 said:

Hearing rumours that Inter are interested in a swap deal involving kante going there and Skriniar AND Brozovic coming this way.

I personally think its a good deal imo and we should go for it, especially if they offer us some money as well.

That deal well the Skriniar aspect would have made sense without Thiago Silva, makes zero sense now. We have Thiago, Zouma, Christensen, Tomori, Rudiger, then Malang Sarr, Ampadu on loan, I can’t  just see it. Brozovic is an average midfielder so wouldn’t improve us.

If Lamps is insistent on getting a deal done, loan with an obligation to buy next year.

3 minutes ago, ducavis said:

That deal well the Skriniar aspect would have made sense without Thiago Silva, makes zero sense now. We have Thiago, Zouma, Christensen, Tomori, Rudiger, then Malang Sarr, Ampadu on loan, I can’t  just see it. Brozovic is an average midfielder so wouldn’t improve us.

If Lamps is insistent on getting a deal done, loan with an obligation to buy next year.

Zouma and Rudiger look to be on their way out. As good as Thiago is, he's a stopgap given his age so we only really have Christensen, Tomori and Sarr with Silva maybe for a year or 2 max. Ampadu i think we would play as a DM.

Brozovic I think can break up play and move the ball forward quickly so i think he would improve us in that regard. Him and Kovacic already have that chemistry for Croatia, and I think they could replicate it for us.

Of course if Inter just offered us a flat fee of 70m+ then i'd be happy with that too. Our squad is just too inflated right now and it needs to be sorted out.

28 minutes ago, driller97 said:

Zouma and Rudiger look to be on their way out. As good as Thiago is, he's a stopgap given his age so we only really have Christensen, Tomori and Sarr with Silva maybe for a year or 2 max. Ampadu i think we would play as a DM.

Brozovic I think can break up play and move the ball forward quickly so i think he would improve us in that regard. Him and Kovacic already have that chemistry for Croatia, and I think they could replicate it for us.

Of course if Inter just offered us a flat fee of 70m+ then i'd be happy with that too. Our squad is just too inflated right now and it needs to be sorted out.

Zouma?! He's our best defender! I'm pretty certain he was rested on Saturday but no journalist was good enough to ask Lampard about it. 

Edited by bisright1

I can't see anything in Skriniar's playing history to suggest he is anything other than bang average, and the same goes for Brozovic.

If they are any good, why don't Inter want to keep them ?

We are hardly short of centre backs in the club ; we just need some of them to kick on in their development and become consistently reliable (Tomori, Christensen, Sarr, Mbuyamba, Guehi, Ampadu, Clarke-Salter, Chalobah etc etc). Agree that Zouma and Rudiger will probably be sold, as I don't think either of them is good enough on the ball for what Frank is looking for ...

2 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Zouma?! He's our best defender! I'm pretty certain he was rested on Saturday but no journalist was good enough to ask Lampard about it. 

I'd say he's our best defender, but I am not sure his face fits ... I think Frank is looking for a pair of ball-playing centre backs, which is why Christensen gets the nod over Kurt and Rudi.

1 minute ago, Sexyfootball said:

I'd say he's our best defender, but I am not sure his face fits ... I think Frank is looking for a pair of ball-playing centre backs, which is why Christensen gets the nod over Kurt and Rudi.

Zouma is our best ball playing centre back. He gives the ball away less and can complete a 30 yard pass better than any other player in the team. 

1 minute ago, bisright1 said:

Zouma is our best ball playing centre back. He gives the ball away less and can complete a 30 yard pass better than any other player in the team. 

Frank obviously doesn't agree as he didn't play him. You don't really need to rest centre backs. At least we never did when we had Terry, Gallas, Carvalho ... etc etc

41 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Frank obviously doesn't agree as he didn't play him. You don't really need to rest centre backs. At least we never did when we had Terry, Gallas, Carvalho ... etc etc

Or he was injured. He started against Liverpool and brighton.