Welcome N’Golo Kante

3 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

This is true, and I was often critical of his performances, but it's become clear that the issues Kante was having was because of injuries and playing a role in the team that didn't suit him or us. Our best midfield partnership last season was Jorginho and Kovacic, but it wasn't without some serious flaws, especially when it comes to the defensive side of the game. The way we are set up now just seems to have much more of a balance to it. Once Havertz returns, I expect Mount to take Kovacic's spot and I think that will be our main midfield 3 going forward.

Crazy thing is Kova has actually added (or I would argue rediscovered) a dimension to his game in recent games for club and country. Ie he may be better than last season when he was our POTY and yet may not be part of the main three. Shows how strong the squad is as others have pointed out. I think aside from Kante we’ll probably see some rotation in the midfield with all 3 of Mount, Kova and Havertz staking a strong claim for the number 8 roles. There will no doubt be a degree of natural selection owing to yellows, injuries, players needing a rest etc.. 

31 minutes ago, Dean said:

Crazy thing is Kova has actually added (or I would argue rediscovered) a dimension to his game in recent games for club and country. Ie he may be better than last season when he was our POTY and yet may not be part of the main three. Shows how strong the squad is as others have pointed out. I think aside from Kante we’ll probably see some rotation in the midfield with all 3 of Mount, Kova and Havertz staking a strong claim for the number 8 roles. There will no doubt be a degree of natural selection owing to yellows, injuries, players needing a rest etc.. 

Kovacic is now in his prime. He should be playing from the start given that he's in good form and Havertz should be the one waiting for his chance a bit now. Specially against Spurs since Alli was very rude towards him so he would be more motivated against them.

But the fact that we had the most convincing wins even without some of our best players like Kovacic, Pulisic does scream of the huge quality that we have in our squad.

4 hours ago, dkw said:

Yeah that's definitely the only reason.

It's well known that Frank Lampard bases his transfer decisions on social media clips and bromances.

This is why he was inseparable from his cousin, Jamie Redknapp and they played together at so many clubs

Edited by SydneyChelsea
18 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

This is true, and I was often critical of his performances, but it's become clear that the issues Kante was having was because of injuries and playing a role in the team that didn't suit him or us. Our best midfield partnership last season was Jorginho and Kovacic, but it wasn't without some serious flaws, especially when it comes to the defensive side of the game. The way we are set up now just seems to have much more of a balance to it. Once Havertz returns, I expect Mount to take Kovacic's spot and I think that will be our main midfield 3 going forward.

I'd play Kovacic instead of Mount agains't tougher opposition, like Spurs at home on Sunday. Just makes us better defensively for me.

1 hour ago, jack_super_class said:

I'd play Kovacic instead of Mount agains't tougher opposition, like Spurs at home on Sunday. Just makes us better defensively for me.

I personally think that Kai should be rotating with Kovacic and Mount alongside Kante should be part of our regularly starting Midfield. 

13 minutes ago, dkw said:

Do you think its a reason? Because if you do then you're an idiot.

Having a long term vision of Mount-Rice partnership is being an idiot? Should I call you an idiot insulting Lampard, because every single transfer so far was good... Your take is bollox.

47 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Having a long term vision of Mount-Rice partnership is being an idiot? Should I call you an idiot insulting Lampard, because every single transfer so far was good... Your take is bollox.

You said he was signing him because Mount and Rice get along, thats completely different to what you just wrote now. 

5 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

Mount is a stronger defensive player than Kova.. we may want to play kova over mount for many reasons.. but defensive cover not necessarily is it.

22 hours ago, Gol15 said:

He wants to buy Rice regardless because Mount and Rice get along well.

More like he wants to buy rice because he's been one of the best defensive midfielders in the premier league this season and he's only 21.

If declan rice was playing for lazio and was italian the same people who are being sniffy about him would  be desperate to sign him. 

2 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

We really have wasted a couple of years trying to play him as box to box haven't we?

I'd say no because I'd argue him being a box to box player for 4 seasons actually improved his decision-making, close control, ball retention and dribbling. 

He would have not played this well today back in 2016

9 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

We really have wasted a couple of years trying to play him as box to box haven't we?

This game he was more forward and his press led to our winning goal, at that same position he made an assist to Werner in some previous game. He fits tactically there too because of our pressing as well.