Jump to content

Welcome N’Golo Kante


Recommended Posts


After 10+ games it's worrying that we still prefer to rely on Kante's work rate and Mount's work rate just to get back possession, that's having almost no real plan as to how we will attack and control games, no wonder it all ends with Chilwell's crosses.

We clearly have a problem to organize our own game plan, our attacks are one dimensional, every ball forward is predicable, the ball is going almost in a straight line and this is probably why we look so weak even when we have the lead because even in that situation we are tactically just giving the opposition all rights to attack us and to come back into the game while still relying on Kante's and Mount's work rate to simply get the ball back, we are never in control because Kante's main strength is to interrupt the play of the opposition and Mount's is to press, both in turn are just playing into the hands of the opposition that wants to have the ball and wants to challenge us.

Turns out it's not so simple to just buy a new keeper, put T.Silva in there and in front of them put Kante.

At this point I would be happy to see Lampard going back to a 4-2-3-1 where Kante and Mount would be the base of the midfield and where we wouldn't need to rely on them to create something other than putting up a long ball forward once we drop deeper due to that formation, at least then Pulisic and CHO will have more space to work with and Tammy, Giroud and Werner up front would also have more space to make a run. At least in the scenario where we have the lead this would be beneficial to us, the midfield and backline would be more connected and we would look more dangerous once the opposition opens us in their effort to come back into the game.

Our 4-3-3 hasn't been working in the last 5+ games, now I know that at certain points during a game it does work but that's still less than 30 minutes where our formation is giving us the good amount of space and good speed of the ball going forward. At the start of the season we knew how to transit the ball to the final third pretty fast, that is now almost totally gone.

 

Edited by Gol15
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lampard saw that Kante had a few bad games at the start of the season and placed him in this new role and as time passed by I was openly saying that Jorginho didn't do that role worse than Kante but we had more options when it came down to attacking.

Now Kante has had several games where he failed to contain a dangerous attack, he slipped a few times and now vs City he has been totally out of his depth.

The 4-3-3 doesn't work, at least not with Kante playing there. Last season our 4-2-3-1 worked for most of the season and several players were doing their jobs, right now there is not a single player in a good form, not Kante, not Mount, not Kovacic, not Jorginho... Nobody.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

Lampard saw that Kante had a few bad games at the start of the season and placed him in this new role and as time passed by I was openly saying that Jorginho didn't do that role worse than Kante but we had more options when it came down to attacking.

Now Kante has had several games where he failed to contain a dangerous attack, he slipped a few times and now vs City he has been totally out of his depth.

The 4-3-3 doesn't work, at least not with Kante playing there. Last season our 4-2-3-1 worked for most of the season and several players were doing their jobs, right now there is not a single player in a good form, not Kante, not Mount, not Kovacic, not Jorginho... Nobody.

Still rather play Kante there than Jorginho. We once lost 6-0 to Man City with Jorginho playing DM. Also Kante could do with a rest, he must be knackered. He seems to have played every minute.

Edited by jack_super_class
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

Still rather play Kante there than Jorginho. We once lost 6-0 to Man City with Jorginho playing DM. Also Kante could do with a rest, he must be knackered. He seems to have played every minute.

At least with Jorginho we had a system that worked, that system gave us the results, we could attack and we finished top3 and top4. 

Man City played this game without a striker ffs and they managed to casually score 3 goals after the first 10 minutes. Kante has been average, sorry but you can't play there if you're going to lose the ball that's very dangerous and he is also slipping almost every game, I saw that he lost the ball 15 times in the previous game and now vs City he casually gave Man City the ball and they scored in that counter attack, he doesn't actually protect the backline, Foden is a 20 year old that did whatever he wanted there.

Last season Lampard had Jorginho and Kovacic in a 4-2-3-1 and both did the job, now he doesn't have a single midfielder playing well, I wrote in my previous comment, no real top team will rely on a player like Kante and Mount to organize the play when they only do well when the opposition has the ball, that's not having a system that is called playing reactionary football and against a top team that doesn't work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Deary me. Never have so many knees jerked all at once.

Poor today but was largely our best player through the autumn. Also still the only genuine world class player in the team. Over the years on here I've seen people turn on Cech, Ivanovic and other top players but this anti-Kante sentiment could be the most bizarre of all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Deary me. Never have so many knees jerked all at once.

Poor today but was largely our best player through the autumn. Also still the only genuine world class player in the team. Over the years on here I've seen people turn on Cech, Ivanovic and other top players but this anti-Kante sentiment could be the most bizarre of all. 

Fully agreed. Yes he has had a couple of poor games in a row but before that he was comfortably our best player of the season to date. 

Its largely stirred up by people who think Jorginho and/or Kovacic are superior players  which is farcical 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, loz said:

Fully agreed. Yes he has had a couple of poor games in a row but before that he was comfortably our best player of the season to date. 

Its largely stirred up by people who think Jorginho and/or Kovacic are superior players  which is farcical 

Farcical is the word. Every big club in Europe would happily have Kante. Bet they wish a few of our posters ran Chelsea transfer policy!

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Deary me. Never have so many knees jerked all at once.

Poor today but was largely our best player through the autumn. Also still the only genuine world class player in the team. Over the years on here I've seen people turn on Cech, Ivanovic and other top players but this anti-Kante sentiment could be the most bizarre of all. 

In the position that he plays in currently, he isn't a world class player.

Only if you're mindblown by sideways passes and an occasional slip but whatever floats your boat...

Link to post
Share on other sites

He's an excellent player - more energy and work rate than most and never stops trying.  Technically he looks a little limited recently, but it would be foolish to write him off.

The balance in the midfield is all off - position, instructions, execution - the whole lot.  Exaggerates the mistakes as we seem to get punished every time.  I was a big advocate for the 4-3-3 to accommodate Havertz or Mount as a no.8, but neither is happening through selection or execution.  Perhaps better dropping to a flat holding two midfielders.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is, Kante and Mount never get a rest because the alternatives (Jorginho and Kovacic) aren’t good enough. Both of them have played way too many minutes with how much running they do on the pitch.

Adding Rice, who I was skeptical about but he seems to be the real deal, and selling Jorginho would change our team entirely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

The problem is, Kante and Mount never get a rest because the alternatives (Jorginho and Kovacic) aren’t good enough. Both of them have played way too many minutes with how much running they do on the pitch.

Adding Rice, who I was skeptical about but he seems to be the real deal, and selling Jorginho would change our team entirely.

Rice would certainly be a better option than Jorginho. But an expensive one if it happens. In the meantime why not give Gimour a go?

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, forbzy said:

Rice would certainly be a better option than Jorginho. But an expensive one if it happens. In the meantime why not give Gimour a go?

In certain situations, I would definitely be open to Gilmour playing. Sunday was a great example.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!