IliyaKrostin

Welcome N’Golo Kante

1 minute ago, atomis said:

Well......not many Kante's out there are there.......he walks into any team instantly.

Yup. Kante is a whole lot harder to find than.. well, you get it... 

1 hour ago, jack_super_class said:

Thought this was an interesting video. People who think he is just a DM, in this game to he's playing further up the pitch like he is for us now.

Great vid!!! 

1:34... only time I have literally seen Kante argue a ref's decision haha, I love this man!!!!

As important it is to tie Eden down to a new contract, we need to be doing everything we can to get N'Golo on a new contract, too!

Kante is the best or second best defensive midfield player in the world. But, by restricting him to the most disciplined role in a team, you also remove his greatest asset; his ability to run faster for longer than everyone else. Kante is at his best when he can press freely, make a lung bursting defensive effort to stop a counter attack, and move the ball 40 yards up the pitch ... in the same sequence ... all throughout the game. Not confined to a small area of the pitch.

I am 100% confident in Kante's ability as a player, and Sarri's ability as a coach. They will figure it out, and if I'm being perhaps overly optimistic, I reckon that the little guy once again will be the best midfield player in the Premiership come January. He's that good.

Think he has looked really average this season. He has set the bar high but just feel that he is looking a little lost in this system. Doesn't have much influence on the game and I have yet to see one performance this season where I have gone, wow Kante was excellent and just concerned with his performances.

5 minutes ago, STATS said:

Think he has looked really average this season. He has set the bar high but just feel that he is looking a little lost in this system. Doesn't have much influence on the game and I have yet to see one performance this season where I have gone, wow Kante was excellent and just concerned with his performances.

I can understand that. His opportunity to make tackles and intercept passes is cut in half with the possession numbers flipped this season. 

Hes most impressive when he’s breaking up play, tracking back, and tackling, and that role is not needed as often as it has been in a counter attacking squad that we saw under Conte. 

But here’s what I love. When the time comes, he’s still all over players like a rash. And if we NEED him to be a pit bull out there, he can be. 

His game hasn’t changed. Chelsea’s has. If that means more possession and less tackles for Kante... I’m all for it. 

7 minutes ago, Skinnedy said:

I can understand that. His opportunity to make tackles and intercept passes is cut in half with the possession numbers flipped this season. 

Hes most impressive when he’s breaking up play, tracking back, and tackling, and that role is not needed as often as it has been in a counter attacking squad that we saw under Conte. 

But here’s what I love. When the time comes, he’s still all over players like a rash. And if we NEED him to be a pit bull out there, he can be. 

His game hasn’t changed. Chelsea’s has. If that means more possession and less tackles for Kante... I’m all for it. 

I just think that we can get a lot more from another player with more attacking nous. I see your point but there was a point where I was like to myself, Kante has really improved his technical ability but he does not impose himself enough on the ball. I just feel for all the praise and rep he has, he needs to dictate the game a bit more and impose himself more.

Don't think he's doing much wrong personally. 

He's getting forward quite well, gets passed his man quite often and is finding players in space in the final third. 

Okay he's not setting up many chances himself but then again he doesn't need to. 

We're just so used to seeing him playing at the base of the midfield putting in constant tackles and interceptions that now he's being asked to do a different job it looks like he isn't performing as well. 

I think Kante is enjoying himself though probably he will personally assess his situation at the end of the season. His assessment will probably depend on how he progresses within the system as the season moves on.

In the big games for me he's nailed on to start any day of the week but I'd like to see what Kovacic (or Loftus-Cheek) can do in his position, with the options we have in midfield there's scope for rotation.

Edited by the special one

I think we are going to have this debate after every poor team performance. Kante was excellent against Burnley, and I think at least one of the goals came from him pressing and winning the ball back. 

He wasn't great last night, but neither were the rest of team, and with everything that has happened with Leicester, I think you have to cut him some slack for last night. 

Apart from the west ham game, I think he has been very good this season, and he looks like he is growing with confidence in the final 3rd. 

40 minutes ago, mbh said:

Getting rid of Kante would be like cutting off your right arm, just too begin learning to write with your left, a pointless excise for no good reason.

The irony would certainly not be lost on me if the club who got Makelele from a Real Madrid side who undervalued him ended up giving undervaluing his near twin Kante and sold him to another club.

His role had grown, but he is still needed for what he has always been superb at...breaking up the opposition play.  He's just doing it higher up the pitch and quite frankly I'd be suprised if Sarri didn't want a Kante on either side of Jorginho if he had the option.  That we see Kante as less influential is simply due to how successful Sarri has been in getting the team to implement his tactics in such short time.

Bringing it full circle, certainly wouldn't be the first club who undervalued a world class talent and came to regret it.... might be the first to be on both ends of that type of transaction for nearly identical players though.

Edited by Barry Bridges

2 hours ago, Barry Bridges said:

The irony would certainly not be lost on me if the club who got Makelele from a Real Madrid side who undervalued him ended up giving undervaluing his near twin Kante and sold him to another club.

His role had grown, but he is still needed for what he has always been superb at...breaking up the opposition play.  He's just doing it higher up the pitch and quite frankly I'd be suprised if Sarri didn't want a Kante on either side of Jorginho if he had the option.  That we see Kante as less influential is simply due to how successful Sarri has been in getting the team to implement his tactics in such short time.

Bringing it full circle, certainly wouldn't be the first club who undervalued a world class talent and came to regret it.... might be the first to be on both ends of that type of transaction for nearly identical players though.

I have never seen kante as a makelele type holding midfielder, I think he is closer to essien, as he has the ability to break with the ball from midfield, which he has always done regularly for us. 

You would never see makelele run with the ball, he would shield the back 4, win the ball and play it fairly simple. 

Kante played more like makelele at the world cup for France, and while he was good, I think he was better for us and Leicester, when he had licence to carry the ball, while drinkwater, or matic covered. 

I admit he has looked a little uncomfortable when he's found himself either out on the right wing, or when the ball has fell to him in the box, however I think he is getting more comfortable in these situations, and actually put in a great cross from the right last night, which morata didn't anticipate. 

The rest of his game is coming along very nicely, he's winning the ball back high up the pitch, he's pressing really well, he has got into the rhythm of 'sarriball', and he has been playing a few cuter passes to open things up, especially that slide rule pass in between centre back and left back, for Azpiliucueta to run onto. 

Still one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

Couldn't have put it any better, it's like they want Kante to be superhuman. He's doing the role he's been asked to do the role he started playing in France and at Leicester.

He also looks like he's enjoying that role alot enjoying his football alot

15 hours ago, Semper Fi said:

Are people forgetting what happened at Leicester? Do you not think he was affected by this? Of course he was! 

I completely forgot he was at Leicester, I thought it was only Drinkwater who was there. 

That was his poorest performance since arriving in the EPL. No player should ever be bigger than the team or undropable. No matter how great he was in the previous two seasons, this experiment of him in this position is clearly is not working and surely Sarri can see that. 

12 minutes ago, Dixon said:

That was his poorest performance since arriving in the EPL. No player should ever be bigger than the team or undropable. No matter how great he was in the previous two seasons, this experiment of him in this position is clearly is not working and surely Sarri can see that. 

Unbeaten in all competitions, 2 points of super dooper city, 2nd highest goal scorers, 3rd best defence. Clearly not working.

19 minutes ago, Dixon said:

Kante is and always has been best as a b2b, so where is the experiment?