Pokémon Go!

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

On 9/5/2016 at 20:17, Zeta Orionis said:

Bored with the game now tbh

I'm nearly up to Level 24 and am enjoying it more as it get harder because the rewards are better.  Just keep catching those silly ones for stardust and visit the Pokestops, it's surprising how soon your XP level goes up.  Have a pop at gyms and stick your creatures in (took the Tower of London one today, memories of Arsenal boxing day '77), get coins, buy incubators, hatch eggs (you never know what you'll get) and see what's nesting or spawing in your area on the web.  A couple of visits to Blackheath over the weekend has got me a Charizard and an unexpected Lapras as an example.  Don't rush to evolve or power up low or mid-level Pokemon, maybe run them from first to third stage in one go if you have enough candy from a good starter by checking it's IV online.  

Sometimes I wish I could start again and do it all differently, saying that though I've tended to dump the earlier catches and evolutions for stronger ones I've caught as my XP level has risen.

All done honestly too, other than following the tracker hoards around Blackheath, who would'nt?

13 hours ago, Peckham Blue said:

I'm nearly up to Level 24 and am enjoying it more as it get harder because the rewards are better.  Just keep catching those silly ones for stardust and visit the Pokestops, it's surprising how soon your XP level goes up.  Have a pop at gyms and stick your creatures in (took the Tower of London one today, memories of Arsenal boxing day '77), get coins, buy incubators, hatch eggs (you never know what you'll get) and see what's nesting or spawing in your area on the web.  A couple of visits to Blackheath over the weekend has got me a Charizard and an unexpected Lapras as an example.  Don't rush to evolve or power up low or mid-level Pokemon, maybe run them from first to third stage in one go if you have enough candy from a good starter by checking it's IV online.  

Sometimes I wish I could start again and do it all differently, saying that though I've tended to dump the earlier catches and evolutions for stronger ones I've caught as my XP level has risen.

All done honestly too, other than following the tracker hoards around Blackheath, who would'nt?

I agree with that statement so much. I did so many evolutions when i was a low level CP and wasted candies. I'd love to be able to go back and save them. I remember wasting all my candies and stardust powering up my first pokemon ffs. 

On 9/7/2016 at 06:44, RIP Mourinho said:

I agree with that statement so much. I did so many evolutions when i was a low level CP and wasted candies. I'd love to be able to go back and save them. I remember wasting all my candies and stardust powering up my first pokemon ffs. 

What was it? Please tell me it was a Rattata!

• 4 weeks later...

I haven';t seen or heard anyone playing around town for at least a month. I gave up as well, just wasn't fun, was so repetitive. The idea was solid, but they went about it so badly. Just a cash grab really.

I'm still playing religiously.

I suppose there are two sides to this game, collecting and battling.  

This game is hard, it's intricate and you have to be there for the long haul.   I don't blame anyone for dumping it, there's more to life but it's a free game, or can/ought to be and if you can put the time it is still a lot of fun.

Since my last post I've risen to level 27, need five more for for the Euro Pokedex of which three can be got via the Buddy system and two have to come from 10k eggs or lucky catches, Aerodactyl and Chancey if anyone is interested.

I have bought incubators to hatch eggs, for the 5k usually but I'm not going to any longer unless I get 10k ones for those two I need hopefully.  I have all the 5k Pokemons anyway.

Rising a level is really hard from now on, 250k and increasing.  Which means catching and making as many of those crap 12 evolution Pokemons,  allied with training and battling as may gyms as possible.  As I posted last time I wish I'd done things differently.  I dumped hatched Pokemons that I already had for ones I'd caught with higher CP.  What a mistake, CP isn't everything IV is and I now check every potential high level one I catch against hatched ones, usually the latter is the one to keep.   It's all about potential and to reach that it it's all about stardust and candy.  The more sh*t ones you catch, the more stardust you have and a few more catches of that Pokemon means you can power it up for gym battles.  It's also about move sets which are random which I suppose is the unfair part about the game but in real life there are humans who as teenagers have massive growth spurts and others who don't and there are those who excel and others who fail. By this I mean you can have a stage one Pokemon with 90% potential and best movesets who by the time you evolve it to level three has dropped and has crap moves.

More catching crap ones, more hatching eggs hoping for the 100% IV with the best moveset to take and hold gyms.  As I said it's intricate and clever and above all patience and determination is required.

I'm a huge fan as you can see

• 3 weeks later...

Latest nerd update.

One third of the way through Level 28 now and f**k me is it hard, only 300,000 xp needed to move up to 29.  Only three left to catch for the Eurodex but still those bar steward two from the 10k eggs.  Gyms are what it's all about now, getting stardust these days is like finding a fast flowing river in the Sahara.

The kind people at Niantic have introduced a Halloween special, double candy for everything from 1am tonight until November 1st,  for Pokemon caught, hatched, transferred or walked as a buddy.  The last is great if you have a Lapras or Snorlax for battling but both still need a lot of stardust to power up, other gym battlers like Charizard or Dragonite for me are not so important as being in London I can pick up Charmanders or Dratini's fairly regularly anyway, maybe not so much for those outside the capital or away from nests and rivers. 

Here's the crux at present. I've had to turn the game off as I have 9 x 5k eggs about to hatch and want to time them for a happy egg as I need the xp desperately more than anything, not what's in them as I have everything in the 5k's other than maybe upgrades with better IV's or movesets.   In the meantime I need to catch about 30 Pidgeys to evolve to transfer for the double xp/Halloween bonus and without moving a km all in the 30 min happy egg window!!  Afterwards fill the blank eggs window ASAP start hatching and hopefully pick up a couple of 10k's, move the required distances over the week and hopefully get some decent hatches with double candy .  At the end of the day there are going to be some mightily strong powered up Pokemon in Gyms in the near future.  I'm going to Green Park on Friday for the Charmander mega-nest.  Thirty of those little red sh*ts will keep me going for a long while.

Cynically, buying incubators is what this is weekend is all about, the more you walk, the more you hatch, the more eggs you pick up, the more you hatch, the more candy, etc, etc.  It's plain to see but whatever, it's still a lot of fun and even those that don't want to spend on the game can still enjoy the bonuses.

• 11 months later...

I stopped about a year ago, it was a good way to get me to run more for a few months, trying to hatch those eggs, but there was literally nothing around where i lived, so could only play in town on lunch breaks, so the only way to really get the eggs was to buy them.

17 hours ago, Zeta said:

I stopped about a year ago, it was a good way to get me to run more for a few months, trying to hatch those eggs, but there was literally nothing around where i lived, so could only play in town on lunch breaks, so the only way to really get the eggs was to buy them.

That IS one of the major issues with the game. Very mega-city centric.

Downloaded it again while I was out for a walk, to see what it's like these days, though I don't recognise a lot of the pokemon, as I was never really interested beyond the first generation.

Caught a few Staryus, an Oddish, a Wartortle, a few things called Chinchou, and this dude was my first catch in over a year:

Screenshot_20170929-143733.thumb.png.4b4eebbe4890269f56e1a34b39b80b94.png

Downloaded it again while I was out for a walk, to see what it's like these days, though I don't recognise a lot of the pokemon, as I was never really interested beyond the first generation.
Caught a few Staryus, an Oddish, a Wartortle, a few things called Chinchou, and this dude was my first catch in over a year:
Screenshot_20170929-143733.thumb.png.4b4eebbe4890269f56e1a34b39b80b94.png
I played Gold on the GBC. Chinchou evolved into a Lantern which was an Electric/Water type which was brilliant. I think it had Thunder/Surf/Ice Beam and Signal Beam(bug). It basically had an attack that was super effectice against most Pokemon.