David Luiz back at Chelsea

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I always wonder how a player like Luiz ends up as a centred back when he has almost none of the required skills, discipline or temperament to be one. Very odd. 

1 hour ago, yorkleyblue said:

Didn't there used to be a position known, very pretentiously, as the "Libero"?   That always struck me as an ideal Luiz role - no rigid structured responsibilities, just go out and play your game, son.

"Libero" reminds me of Ruud Krol at Ajax. Thanks for nothing, Kev :mad:  

On 02/05/2018 at 15:31, Stim said:

He is a ball playing center back. 99% ball playing 1% center back

A bit generous on the centre back rating there Stim...

Edited by Munkworth

On 01/05/2018 at 22:32, just said:

Anybody who thinks David Luiz would make us a better team should be strapped to a chair and forced to watch the FA Cup home game against Norwich on continuous loop for a month.

Just, I know you're not David's biggest fan, but he's exactly what our team needs right now, leadership, personality, a feeling for the club, and no little ability.

Last season we won the title. Titles don't grow on trees, they shouldn't be taken lightly. He was immense. Got into the team of the year on merit, no little feat considering he was largely ridiculed upon his signing. He was disciplined, he was tough, he was brilliant. Maybe you should have last season's performances on continuous loop.

Then there was the CL final, where he played with a dodgy hamstring, or a dodgy calf, I can't quite remember, he was only partially fit anyroad, and then there was his penalty. 

Edit: If we never see him in a Chelsea shirt again, we'll be all the poorer for it. The guy is a Chelsea hero.

Edited by Davey Baby

We've sorely missed David Luiz this season. I was even saying this when Christensen was playing really well, we just don't have that threat from playing it out from the back like we did last season. Last season we were also clinical, I remember how ruthless our counter-attacks were and they would always come from playing it out from the back. 

2 hours ago, Slojo said:

We've sorely missed David Luiz this season. I was even saying this when Christensen was playing really well, we just don't have that threat from playing it out from the back like we did last season. Last season we were also clinical, I remember how ruthless our counter-attacks were and they would always come from playing it out from the back. 

I have defended Luiz to hell and back down the years but he was playing early in the season when we were by inlarge average, infact him out and Andreas in led to a vast improvement in defensive performances until the Dane himself had a wobble Barca and beyond.

2 hours ago, Argo said:

I have defended Luiz to hell and back down the years but he was playing early in the season when we were by inlarge average, infact him out and Andreas in led to a vast improvement in defensive performances until the Dane himself had a wobble Barca and beyond.

I'm fully aware how bad he has been this season, but I'm pointing out how good he was last season, that hasn't just gone away. 

Perhaps I should've worded it better, but the David Luiz of last season is what we have sorely missed. 

That Giroud, despite not playing in the team with him, went over to celebrate with Luiz speaks volumes about what he brings to the club.

His being frozen out this season has hurt us a lot I think and I don’t think the club I’ll be too quick to release him should Conte leave in the summer.

24 minutes ago, Stim said:

Has he been frozen out though. Do frozen out players sit smiling and joking behind the dugout every game?

I do remember him not being so chipper when he was actually frozen out by Jose. In any case he should stick it out and next season under a new manager he should get another chance.

3 hours ago, Stim said:

Has he been frozen out though. Do frozen out players sit smiling and joking behind the dugout every game?

On one of the Chelsea podcasts, a well respected journalist said that Luiz is definitely injured and hasn’t been frozen out. 

I just don’t buy it. How can be injured for so long. 

45 minutes ago, JM7 said:

On one of the Chelsea podcasts, a well respected journalist said that Luiz is definitely injured and hasn’t been frozen out. 

I just don’t buy it. How can be injured for so long. 

Santi Cazorla has been injured for 19 months. These things can happen unfortunately. 

Edited by Munkworth
Sanyo Cazorla - a terrible cheap stereo system?