pacquiao

David Luiz back at Chelsea

We obviously have a different understanding as to what "speculation" means. You are literally saying that Luiz would do fine at City, and that Pep would have said yes to him, had they not secured a younger and (in my opinion) a better option. That can not ever be verified. Therefore, in my view, a speculative statement.

I said that Luiz has struggled with defending every team he has been in. I think this is verified by the fact that we sold him the first time around, that he was basically kicked out of the Brazilian national team after captaining one of the most embarrasing defeats ever, that PSG sold him, last year's season and his season up to date. 

As for Luiz' good season two years ago, I agree. He was very good. He had two centre backs watching his back, allowing Luiz to do what he does best - because that is good. After all, I noted that he's a good footballer. However, that's one good and consistent season, which he never had before that, and has failed to replicate since.

For David Luiz, the sore thumb that sticks out is his good one. In a career spanning over eleven years, that's not good enough, in my opinion.

Edited by opinionsarelike

I'm a Luiz fan. Think he is one of the real characters in a squad where characters are a bit thin on the ground. But that was shocking yesterday. In a big game against one of our biggest rivals he made some calamitous errors, errors that meant we conceded goals and lost the game. He HAS to be dropped for that. No player should get away with playing that badly and keep his place as it sends out a bad message. On that basis Jorginho too should be dropped as he was just as bad.

42 minutes ago, Nibs said:

I'm a Luiz fan. Think he is one of the real characters in a squad where characters are a bit thin on the ground. But that was shocking yesterday. In a big game against one of our biggest rivals he made some calamitous errors, errors that meant we conceded goals and lost the game. He HAS to be dropped for that. No player should get away with playing that badly and keep his place as it sends out a bad message. On that basis Jorginho too should be dropped as he was just as bad.

Like you, I'm a Luiz fan, but I'm struggling to forgive him for yesterday. I think you're being kind when you call them "errors". They weren't errors. Errors I can forgive. That second goal, that wasn't an error, that was a dereliction of duty. That was pure cowardice. That was disgraceful, against any team let alone Tottenham.

He just wasn't focused throughout the game. That third goal, we're still in the game but we can't afford to concede a third. It was embarrassing. You don't try and tackle, you stop the forward's momentum, you shepherd him away from goal, you don't commit yourself, and what a weak lily-livered attempt it was, exactly the same tackle that lead to their first goal, when he was penalised, but he didn't learn his lesson.

Unforgivable for such an experienced defender. Drop him and bring in Ampadu, but it won't happen and I'm beginning to think this is Sarri's fatal flaw. Too many players know they're safe, including Jorginho as you say. Both have to be dropped, along with Kovacic. 

Edit: I very much doubt it will happen.

Edited by Davey Baby

Brave Dave Luiz ran away. 
Bravely ran away away. 
When danger reared its ugly head, 
He bravely turned his tail and fled. 
Yes, brave Dave Luiz turned about 
And gallantly he chickened out. 
Bravely taking to his feet, 
He beat a very brave retreat. 
Bravest of the brave, Dave Luiz!

1 hour ago, Davey Baby said:

Like you, I'm a Luiz fan, but I'm struggling to forgive him for yesterday. I think you're being kind when you call them "errors". They weren't errors. Errors I can forgive. That second goal, that wasn't an error, that was a dereliction of duty. That was pure cowardice. That was disgraceful, against any team let alone Tottenham.

He just wasn't focused throughout the game. That third goal, we're still in the game but we can't afford to concede a third. It was embarrassing. You don't try and tackle, you stop the forward's momentum, you shepherd him away from goal, you don't commit yourself, and what a weak lily-livered attempt it was, exactly the same tackle that lead to their first goal, when he was penalised, but he didn't learn his lesson.

Unforgivable for such an experienced defender. Drop him and bring in Ampadu, but it won't happen and I'm beginning to think this is Sarri's fatal flaw. Too many players know they're safe, including Jorginho as you say. Both have to be dropped, along with Kovacic. 

Lets see what Sarri does now that games will be coming thick and fast.......we either buckle up and kick on, or he has to change it until we have the right personal.......fail at both and this League will chew and spit him out. Today's footy waits on no one.

3 minutes ago, Liam said:

Bravely ran away away. 

Decent that.

14 hours ago, Liam said:

Bravely ran away away. 

I see you've got a lot of time on your hands now, @Liam

Good to see you posting again, though.

On 25/11/2018 at 16:54, Ernie_blue said:

Luiz will always gift the opposition a few chances, it's just the way he plays in a back 4. It's the end result which makes people take notice or not.

If that were really the case, then he wouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11.  Obviously it isn't so, though like every player does have the odd off game. 

14 minutes ago, hutchslongthrow said:

If that were really the case, then he wouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11.  Obviously it isn't so, though like every player does have the odd off game. 

Well the options at CB are absolutely outstanding, Cahill and Christensen who gets subbed even in Europa league games. Luiz generally does give the opposition chances, whether they take them or not is another thing, also its quickly forgotten if Chelsea win. 

2 hours ago, Ernie_blue said:

Well the options at CB are absolutely outstanding, Cahill and Christensen who gets subbed even in Europa league games. Luiz generally does give the opposition chances, whether they take them or not is another thing, also its quickly forgotten if Chelsea win. 

we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. 

The last time we won the league he also made premiership team of the year which means he was voted as one of the best 2 CBs in the league for consistency over one whole season.  Obviously his performance  in the last outing fell way short of that (didn't understand that challenge on Son) but to my mind, someone who as you put it 'always gifts the opposition a few chances' would probably be playing park football...  

34 minutes ago, hutchslongthrow said:

we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. 

The last time we won the league he also made premiership team of the year which means he was voted as one of the best 2 CBs in the league for consistency over one whole season.  Obviously his performance  in the last outing fell way short of that (didn't understand that challenge on Son) but to my mind, someone who as you put it 'always gifts the opposition a few chances' would probably be playing park football...  

That was a season when Luiz was playing in a back 3, not in a back 2. There's Spurs, Arsenal, ball watching against Newcastle and Palace. Sure he made a mistake in the lead up up to a Utd goal, failed with a clearance against Everton which Bernard missed a good opportunity. I bet if I went back and watched the 90mins of every game I would find more.

Im not having a go at Luiz but we all know Luiz isn't the best defensively and there's always a chance in every game with a lapse of concentration. It's the way it is and always has been but you get the best defender on the ball in the premiership. 

The enigma that is David Luiz! He is capable of some brilliant things on a football pitch, but he always has a mistake in him. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I read today he has been responsible for 67% of the goals we've conceded in the league this season. 

It's interesting we are still being linked with Rugani, and also Skrinrar from inter had popped up recently aswell. 

At 31 and with a pretty battered hamstring, Luiz is definately not the long term partner for rudiger. Christiensen looked very promising this time last year, but he looks as error prone as Luiz at the moment, without the ability on the ball to partially compensate. I like Ampadu a lot, but he hasn't been given any minutes yet this season, partly down to injury, so you would have to think he is a couple of years off in sarri's mind. 

On 25/11/2018 at 17:08, Davey Baby said:

Hey! New person on this forum but wanted to join in the discussion about Luiz. Have always been a fan of his but of late, I cannot believe we are still playing him. Have been lucky enough to go to the Bridge a couple of times this season, and although CFC's play at times was some of the best I have seen, the defence, and Luiz, has been a concern. 

If you read some of the comments that Sarri has made, he has said that Chelsea's defence does worry him. What i dont understand is why we havent seen an significant deviation from the back four that has played most of this season in the Premier League (excl. Europa)? Why havent we seen Andres Christensen play? I am 100% behind Sarri and I think that he has one of the best football brains in Europe, but is there something I'm missing. 

I really hope they up their game for Sunday...

On 26/11/2018 at 09:29, icecoolguy22 said:

Hope Cahill/Christensen put in a good shift mid week and push for a start, I think Luiz is getting too complacent with his automatic pick every week, it's not just last week, he's been poor for a while now but bailed out by his mates.

In Sarris eyes David Luiz can do no wrong. He is so stubborn it is unreal. I think its time we get used to the fact Christensen Ampadu and Hudson Odoi wont get a fair chance whilst hes in charge. This has nothing to do with the fact we lost btw. 

On 27/11/2018 at 20:00, enigma said:

Dunno if it's Luiz to blame or the fact he's got Alonso to the left of him, which gives him little support in defence. 

He used to have Cole beside him and was still exceptionally error prone. He’s just not a very good defender in a 2 because he gets left exposed unlike a 3 where it’s covered up.

People seem to love trotting out Christensen’s mistakes, he’s a young defender learning and he made a handful of mistakes in quick succession and was punished by quality teams like Barca.

Luiz has made more mistakes this season that Christensen had in that spell. When it’s been against quality I.e. Spurs & United - he’s been punished. He’s just lucky against lesser sides they’ve not taken the chances. On top of that he’s a 31 year old veteran, he shouldn’t be making these simple mistakes.

Whether Christensen is the answer long term I don’t know, but we are extremely vulnerable at the back at the moment and for all the ability on the ball Luiz brings, he cannot defend very well in a 2.