David Luiz back at Chelsea

3 minutes ago, g3.7 said:

great post mate, aside from the above.

you don't have to trust conte. we don't even know if he wants him.

but if he does, and this is speaking as someone who was pro conte coming for months, then this right here is his first big mistake.

remember how at inter and then at city and liverpool, and for italy too, you had manager after manager look at mario balotelli and see someone with technique, strength and speed and think "I can get inside his head and turn this guy into a player"? each of them failed, some of them lost their jobs on the back of this gamble. yet, for a time, they still lined up.

signing david luiz is hubris of the highest order. if conte is behind it I think it is time to put a mark in your calendar. in a year or two when we look at how he lost his job, this will be the first day we look at.

if it isn't conte, if it is anyone at this club, a person or people that already know him, then they need to leave the club, and probably football. if you miss luiz' wacky personality so much, get a skype account. 

this is, in a way, potentially the worst transfer in the club's history. 

we know how bad he is. 

Tell us how you really feel.

2 minutes ago, g3.7 said:

but if he does, and this is speaking as someone who was pro conte coming for months, then this right here is his first big mistake.

remember how at inter and then at city and liverpool, and for italy too, you had manager after manager look at mario balotelli and see someone with technique, strength and speed and think "I can get inside his head and turn this guy into a player"? each of them failed, some of them lost their jobs on the back of this gamble. yet, for a time, they still lined up.

signing david luiz is hubris of the highest order. if conte is behind it I think it is time to put a mark in your calendar. in a year or two when we look at how he lost his job, this will be the first day we look at.

if it isn't conte, if it is anyone at this club, a person or people that already know him, then they need to leave the club, and probably football. if you miss luiz' wacky personality so much, get a skype account. 

we know how bad he is. 

Now come on g4 . This time yesterday we'd have taken another centre back. Any centre back.

Well, weve now got David Luiz. Not quite what anyone had in mind granted...

Lets just go with it.

1 minute ago, g3.7 said:

we know how bad he is. 

I completely agree. While this morning this looked like an (admittedly quite funny) joke, now it's starting to seem like a reality I am completely speechless. Fleecing PSG for this loveable parody of a defender was probably one of the best deals we've managed to complete this decade. To undo it is unfathomable stupidity. I simply can't understand it. While I have stated on the forum in the past few weeks that a new centre back is soon going to be an imminent requirement, I also stated that I was willing to wait until next summer unless we can find the right man. I have no earthly idea how anyone could have come to the conclusion that David Luiz is that man.

I feel like this is all of the snide comments I've made about people complaining about our transfer activity and the incompetence of the board coming back to bite me in the arse.

6 minutes ago, g3.7 said:

we know how bad he is. 

I'm not sure if you are being serious but if you are then this is a massive over exaggeration.

Reasonably happy with the signing. Love his personality, hopefully Kante and Matic in the middle allow a bit of cover when he does go walkies. Not super happy about the fee but he is a better CB than Cahill and more athletic than an aging JT, at 29 we can reasonably expect him to see out a 4-5 year contract which if he does will be worthwhile. With him and Alonso I feel we have met the needs of the squad if not with our first choice players we've certainly done better than Papy, Hector and Miazga last year. We have to remember that;

1.) We literally are desperate

2.) He wants to come

3.) We havent even been linked with a better CB this summer

4.) If he cements himself in the first team, Terry moving on next year and Christiansen coming into the squad will be a decent transition. Especially if Zouma comes back well.

If you believe everything you read in the press...

"Express Sport understands Abramovich will also play a huge hand in convincing Luiz to return to the Premier League.
It is said the Russian owner was gutted when he left and would love to re-sign him.
Abramovich apparently grew fond of Luiz when he first arrived at the club, and he was groomed to be a future captain before he was shipped off to France."

Edited by the special one

Just now, Ernie_blue said:

Everyone seems to love his personality, commitment and passion. What about his defending?

He's an outstanding defender when he's not having one of his occasional complete lapses of concentration.

This news is actually making me feel giddy, I'd love the geezer back at the Bridge. :biggrin:

27 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Reasonable price, your joking right? Reasonably reliable, he will be the least consistent CB at Chelsea, you never know what your going to get. For some fans that seems like a fun thing.

Chelsea have enough CBs, if they was going to sign one it had to be one to improve the defence, not make it weaker. If they wanted more cover buy someone for cheaper, better and more reliable as a stop gap till you can get one of your main targets.

Chelsea need a forward anyway. Going into a season with only 2.

God help Zouma and Christensen playing next to Luiz.

You only have to look at some of the transfers this window to see that yes, it's an entirely reasonable price. Pogba £90m? Stones £50m? Even Batshuayi £30m? I can't see us getting a player (in any position) capable of getting anywhere near the first team for less than £20m.

For reliable, I think his general eccentricity focuses more attention on him, I'd argue he's made less genuine "mistakes" than every centre back we've had in the last 5 years bar Terry. As for "If they wanted more cover buy someone for cheaper, better and more reliable as a stop gap till you can get one of your main target" - you clearly missed the point of my post, there isn't a player out there that fits that bill in my opinion.

And while I wouldn't mind a third choice striker as an option, you're kidding yourself if you reckon a striker is the priority right now.

3 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

I also stated that I was willing to wait until next summer unless we can find the right man. I have no earthly idea how anyone could have come to the conclusion that David Luiz is that man.

He may not be that man, but right now we do actually NEED someone. Maizga is unproven, Terry and Cahill are our first choice who came 10th last year hardly keeping a clean sheet. Zouma has f**ked his ACL, from which there is a decent chance he will never be the same again, Ivanovic is a 5/10 defender at the best of times, Dave is quality, playing out of position. 

I would have been just as happy to loan someone like Mangala or Jones for the year and allow Christiansen to move into the squad but we'd have been in the same position as this year With needing a defender, Ivan, Cahill and Terry a year older and all out of contract. This is at least putting a sticky plaster on the problem.

1 minute ago, Ballanda said:

Wrong player from PSG to join us. f**king disgusting. Good job board, pray we get top 4 anything above is fine delusion at this point.

Disgusting is a bit much no?

Bringing in a CB is a step in the right direction is it not? He might not be great but he has been here before and performed well at times helping us win the biggest club trophy in European football.

I think you are being a tat over dramatic and need to cool down.

10 minutes ago, bjd said:

Now come on g4 . This time yesterday we'd have taken another centre back. Any centre back.

Well, weve now got David Luiz. Not quite what anyone had in mind granted...

Lets just go with it.

nope. not having that.

we've got JT, cahill, ivanovic and potentially people like chalobah and tomori before january. that is, worse case scenario, enough for us to deal with a league and league cup campaign (for that is all we have). in january the window opens again, we should have zouma back and we could start to pursue people again. if napoli were out of the title race and europe then they might be happier to consider selling koulibaly for example. if not then we are 6 months away from christensen returning and we'd have a good idea of how useable the players we currently have are.

I always felt a fullback was a more important signing (although I have my misgivings about alonso). I even said in some other thread I'd rather not buy just anyone. back then, in those heady, cloud free days, I had forgotten luiz existed.

honestly when we sold the bloke I felt like I was a foster parent being told little damien was being moved on.

now apparently there was something wrong with the forms, he's back, and in the interim he's started to collect antique weaponry.

p.s. @Shotgun883 four or five years?!!! give me a break mate! this is like the election all over again.

Edited by g3.7

He has passion but can't defend GREAT. We all have passion here. He obviously wouldn't be starting for PSG leaving hence while there willing to sell.

how can you tell Luiz has improved, just from the champions league? He has been playing in a very low quality league.

He's a good defender mate but has the occasional lapses in concentration. A lot of 'world class' defenders have them