David Luiz back at Chelsea

4 minutes ago, the special one said:

If you think Luiz is a liability I hate to think what JCS would be like at his age. Just saying.

I would like to think, that he will mature.

Luiz had the potential to be World class. Anyone could see why we would shell out 25mil for this 25 year old from benfica.

I think (guess), that our scouts and management expected him to mature as a defender with experience and become a brilliant defender. Unfortunately, he did not. And now going back to Luiz is just frustrating to say the least.

Edited by didierforever

1 minute ago, Remodez said:

No one's going to sit here and tell you he's world class but he's had plenty of good games for us, which is why I'm baffled at your comment as that is generally what I would see being said for the likes of Torres,etc.

he's a totally unreliable footballer who plays in a position where reliability is paramount. I watched him in person for years and as a result attend a weekly david luiz survivors group. it isn't a big group, a parisian who like to thumb through a dog eared copy of the myth of sisyphus, @just pops in from time to time, franco baresi accidentally did some punditry on him once so he's pretty much a regular, and other than the entire population of brazil there aren't too many others.

there are some players who you need to watch live to see quite how good they are. makelele, crespo, van nistelrooy, gallas etc...

luiz is the exact opposite. and more than that, he often inspired visible panic in his teammates, who clearly could not predict or anticipate what he was going to do. was he going to charge out of defence to win the ball in midfield? or dribble down the wing? or throw an elbow for no reason? or drop deep to play 3 players onside? everything was instinctive and off the cuff. I hate footballers like that. total individualists. to a point, they can still be useful if they are attacking players, like faustino asprilla, for example. I was so happy when joe cole showed the dedication and humility to learn how to play as part of a team. luiz never did. and for a defender, that is totally unacceptable.

6 minutes ago, didierforever said:

I would like to think, that he will mature.

Luiz had the potential to be World class. Anyone could say why we would shell out 25mil for 25 year old from benfica.

I think (guess), that our scouts and management expected him to mature as a defender with experience and become a brilliant defender. Unfortunately, he did not. And now going back to Luiz is just frustrating to say the least.

I agree I'm sure he'd mature, but where would we be in the league? Aina has already demonstrated in pre season why youth isn't given a chance... naive mistakes (due to lack of experience/physicality/ability, etc) and lack of positional awareness leads to chances against = goals against

Edited by the special one
1 hour ago, Ernie_blue said:

Just to think that we could have had Ashley Williams for £12m... ;)

You compare that scrub to Luiz? Liverpool needs defenders, Chelsea needs defenders, Arsenal needs defenders, City needs defenders, Mourinho always needs defenders despite he had them in United... and no one interested? Is that a coincidence?

Edited by Pendergast

Far from perfect this signing but for a complete panic buy this is pretty ok. Luiz has no problem coming in the team and to the league. No problem at all. 

He is gung-ho but maybe Conte can talk some sense in him. Always loved Luiz. Never worried he celebrated his goal against us, no problem at all.

The singning of CB needed to be done a month ago but it never happened. Hope the club sees the ineptness of the recruiting-process and does something about it.

3 minutes ago, Pendergast said:

You compare that scrub to Luiz? Liverpool needs defenders, Chelsea needs defenders, Arsenal needs defenders, City needs defenders, Mourinho always needs defenders despite he had them in United... and no one interested? Is that a coincidence?

Didn't take long for PSG to accept the offer, did it? Must be gutted he's leaving.

Edited by Kante Conte
3 minutes ago, RMCM said:

Azpilicueta is a left back. Also a right back. Aina is a left back. Also a right back. Yes i would have preferred to see Ake in the squad, but he's not as highly rated as Christensen is, he's almost a guarantee to come back into our squad at this point. 

Why do you keep bringing up his age? 29 is not old for a centre back. 30 million is standard money in this market, you wouldn't get any other seasoned vice captain of a national team for that money in this market. The club couldn't land our top targets for whatever reason. Luiz is a good alternative, we know what he is, we know what he isn't, and I'm sure Conte knows everything we know, multiplied by 50. 

Azpi is a makeshift LB, as is Aina. As was Kenedy. Just because Cuadrado played a few games as a RWB, i wont call him a RB. 
In today's world, FBs are so so important in attack and yet both our first team full backs cant seem to cross a ball in the box. Taking on their man and beating them is a pipe dream. Anyways, we digress.

Lukaku was highly rated too. Yet we lost him. I wont be surprised if next season we are looking to buy another CB considering the fact we are just increasing a number, not quality. 29 IS old for luiz. He is a defender who relies on his athletism. He is not a JT, a puyol, a Zanetti. 

Look mate, lets have an argument of what we know about the defender/player. There is no point of making a point with "I am sure conte knows what he is doing". In that case, jose knew what he was doing with Baba or SAF knew what he was doing selling Pogba. Lets keep the discussion localized to us fans here.

Forget the fact we are thin for defensive cover, forget he has had regular football with a top defender like silva since he left, forget Conte's influence over players and the fact Luiz can play DM if matic falls into depression again and that he is decent at set pieces, a big game player who will get you goals, it's not fifa, it's not about his one on one defending ability only (Issues with which are exaggerated) Garry and JT got ripped apart by lower half teams one on one last season because they back off, but here is the major difference it's not the one on one it's the style he allows you to play, with a pairing of JT and Gary we have to sit deep defensively, it inhibits us going forward and most importantly leaves a gap in midfield which allow us to get ripped to shreds, we looked solid against Burnley because we defended from midfield which is what happened 2 seasons ago and DIDN'T last season. Not only can he get about quicker he can himself become that defensive mid cover,  in a big game him and kante in DM and no one is getting at our defence, add to that Ivan gone and zouma back and we are solid, this is far far better than what people think. 

The club have again hardly covered themselves in glory this window but I guess this forum/thread/signing goes to prove you cant please everyone. I include myself in this.

Moaning about not signing a defender all Summer.

We finally sign a defender.

Moaning he costs too much.

Moan more that we need another defender.

We sign another defender.

Moaning hes rubbish and a liability.

Its the right of being a supporter i guess!

14 minutes ago, the special one said:

I agree I'm sure he'd mature, but where would we be in the league? Aina has already demonstrated in pre season why youth isn't given a chance... naive mistakes (due to lack of experience/physicality/ability, etc) and lack of positional awareness leads to chances against = goals against

Not to act cheeky, but are you talking about Luiz? :Troll_Face:

To be serious, thats what you get with youth. Thats how you gain experience. I would be fine with aina making some mistakes and learning from them than luiz making the same mistake again and again and again, and then starting the next game to make them again.

Edited by didierforever
1 minute ago, bjd said:

The club have again hardly covered themselves in glory this window but I guess this forum/thread/signing goes to prove you cant please everyone. I include myself in this.

Moaning about not signing a defender all Summer.

We finally sign a defender.

Moaning he costs too much.

Moan more that we need another defender.

We sign another defender.

Moaning hes rubbish and a liability.

Its the right of being a supporter i guess!

The way we secured Cesc and Diego was beautiful. Seems that never happens again.

5 minutes ago, didierforever said:

Not to act cheeky, but are you talking about Luiz? :Troll_Face:

To be serious, thats what you get with youth. Thats how you gain experience. I would be fine with aina making some mistakes and learning from them than luiz making the same mistake again and again and again, and then starting the next game to make them again.

But would Aina/JCS make up for their mistakes? Brano makes mistakes but scores a few goals year on year, same with Azpi, Cahill and JT. That's the point with Luiz, yes he may make mistakes but his overall contribution makes up for it.

Edited by the special one

Just now, the special one said:

But would Aina make up for his mistakes? That's the point with Luiz, yes he may make mistakes but his overall contribution to the team makes up for it.

Honestly speaking, I dont think Luiz makes up for anything. He is like that friend who gets one answer right and boasts about it for the next 20 questons. He is simply LOUD. He gets that odd screamer but for every screamer there are endless shots where we would have had been much better just passing the ball down the wing. Same with his diagonal cross field passes. And as a defender, one mistake totally over shadows the other 100 brilliant things you have  done in the match.

I guess in the end, its about what an individual desires. I want youth integration and some identity. If we have to sacrifice and deal with some mistakes from youth players, I am fine with it. Its time we atleast tried to have an identity. This deal is going back a couple of years, as we WILL be back to the same defence line as 2 years ago. We are not improving and neither are we "learning"

Just now, dansubrosa said:

You just described Arsenal there!

Thats one way to look about it. Or you can say Spurs (under Poch), Bayern, Barca.

Also, problem with arsenal is Wenger. The way he sets up his team is very predictable and his reluctance to buy a much needed marquee player (like a striker or a DM or a CB). 

I am not asking for a team of youth to be played. Neither am i against the idea of buying first team players WHO IMPROVE US. Luiz is just not that. Brozovic is just not that. In those cases, I would like the youth to be given a shot.