pacquiao

David Luiz back at Chelsea

1 minute ago, barak81 said:

Did anyone watch chiallini last night , even before the sending of the guy had a shocking game, looked so far from a defender it was unbelievable, I don't watch him week in week out but many on here kind of wanted him and that was as bad and worse then anything I have seen from Luiz 

Every player has a bad game just like Luiz had against Monaco, thing is folk just pretend all the good games before that didn't happen and hold them accountable for one mistake/game.

2 hours ago, Chelsbear said:

Every player has a bad game just like Luiz had against Monaco, thing is folk just pretend all the good games before that didn't happen and hold them accountable for one mistake/game.

This is my point - and some players get more lime light then others

Will David Luiz’s arrival see Chelsea switch to Antonio Conte’s 3-5-2?

By Adam Bate http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/10566297/david-luiz-brings-options

What will David Luiz's return mean for Chelsea's system?

David Luiz’s return to Chelsea in a £30m deal increases the possibility of Antonio Conte playing his favoured formation, writes Adam Bate.

He's a figure of fun for some but David Luiz can be certain of a warm welcome from Chelsea supporters following his return to the club from Paris Saint-Germain. They appreciate a charismatic character whose passionate playing style has always endeared him to the crowd.

Most of all, it's the memories shared. After all, this so-called liability was at the heart of the greatest night in the club's history, even scoring a penalty in the shoot-out as Chelsea won the Champions League in 2012. He lifted the Europa League trophy with the Blues the following year.

Even so, there will be others who do not see Luiz as an ideal fit for Antonio Conte. The defender's dodgy dossier doesn't begin and end in a Chelsea shirt. There was the horror show in Belo Horizonte and only last month he made a comical error in PSG's defeat to Monaco.

Conte boasts a formidable reputation as a defensively-astute tactician whose demands are high. His Juventus team had the best defensive record in Serie A in each of his three seasons in charge. So what is it that the Italian has seen in the 29-year-old that has persuaded him?

Firstly, there are caveats. Conte is understood to have targeted AC Milan's Alessio Romagnoli and Napoli central defender Kalidou Koulibaly before settling upon Luiz. The man presumed to be the preferred option, Juventus' Leonardo Bonucci, was out of reach.

Former PSG team-mate Marquinhos might have been a better bet as well, but nevertheless, in signing off on the purchase of Luiz, it's an acknowledgement that the Brazilian will be an asset for Conte's Chelsea. Most of all, he'll give the coach options.

Luiz can carry the ball out of defence. He does it whether it's encouraged or not, so it's logical to assume that he'd revel in the role for Conte - a coach who required that of his Juventus and Italy defenders given his preference for playing with a three-man back line.

Former PSG team-mate Thomas Meunier was shocked by David Luiz's exit

"I think when you look at Conte, the success he had with Italy and at Juventus was playing a back-three," says Sky Sports pundit Danny Higginbotham. "David Luiz is a defender who can take the ball out. For me it's a solution for Conte to now go and play a back-three."

While that is sure to be in Conte's thinking, it's important to note that it isn't yet a certainty. This is a coach who got Siena promoted from Serie B playing with a back-four and originally envisaged continuing that way at Juventus until Arturo Vidal arrived at the club.

"Even though he's succeeded with 3-5-2, he can be flexible," says Chelsea legend Gianfranco Zola. As for Conte himself, he undoubtedly sees himself as a pragmatist. "When I was in Italy I liked to say that the coach is like a tailor," he said in his first Chelsea press conference.

"You must build the best dress for a team, and respect their characteristics and talents. Then you decide. In the past I started seasons with one idea and then changed it because I saw this system wasn't good. Three at the back? Four at the back? It's not important."

What is important for Conte is control. And Luiz, for all his unpredictability, offers it. While he doesn't have experience in a back-three, having played as a holding midfielder it is a reasonable assumption to believe that he has the skill-set to perform the role.

That's something that has been lacking at Stamford Bridge prior to his return. John Terry and Gary Cahill are happier staying deep at this stage of their careers. Now Chelsea have a defender to step into midfield. There's always N'Golo Kante there to provide cover, too.

"I think if you look at the other signing in Marcos Alonso," adds Higginbotham, "he's a left-back and Cesar Azpilicueta could go over to the right, so you've got two wing-backs as well." It will give Conte the flexibility that he craves in order to adjust the shape accordingly.

At 6'2", Alonso also has the potential to play as a left-sided centre-back in that back-line, mirroring the flexibility that Branislav Ivanovic offers on the right. They are all decisions for Conte to make and ones he'll surely welcome.

Luiz might not be the long-term solution but even with Cahill turning 31 this year and Terry in the final phase of his long Chelsea career, perhaps that's not what's needed. Kurt Zouma will return and Andreas Christensen is a loanee with genuine first-team prospects.

He a quicker fix. A player who'll allow his manager to access his tactical smorgasbord. Luiz himself calls it an "amazing opportunity", Roman Abramovich is an admirer and the Chelsea fans are happy. But it's Conte who could really benefit from the options that this familiar face will provide. 

7 hours ago, Kante Conte said:

Stop! You speak too much sense ^.

Not good for those of us trying to convince ourselves this is a good signing. :]

and we should convince ourselves that this is a bad signing because ... ?

10 hours ago, Kante Conte said:

Stop! You speak too much sense ^.

Not good for those of us trying to convince ourselves this is a good signing. :]

May be to you, but to a majority of Chelsea fans his utterance is ridiculous, if you are trying to convince yourself maybe it would help if you turn your animosity

off & wait & see how he performs over a season, like a true fan would.

On 9/5/2016 at 02:17, didierforever said:

Dont really agree with any of the 3 names, but surely agree with the first part.

PSG made the deal of the season. Hopefully he is used in midfield along side Kante because I dont think I have it in me to see him make more foolish childish mistakes and f**k us up anymore.

I think PSG's deal of the season should be something that has to do with Zlatan's replacement. Not selling of David Luiz.

On 06/09/2016 at 09:21, Chelsbear said:

Maybe be better to get behind him instead of going over the same boring stuff day after day.

He's a Chelsea player, he was part of the 11 that won us our most important trophy of our existence.

Maybe give him a chance before tearing strips off him, doesn't he deserve at least that?

It's becoming really boring.

Chelsbear, you're a very reasonable man and post well, imho, and I'll be getting behind him to do well just as with every player wearing the shirt. 

But this frenzied reaction, this euphoria over him, this for me is what is both tiresome (morso than criticism of him) and also inexplicable. 

He's played at the club a long time. We've seen plenty of him already in a Chelsea shirt and in other colours, to have good reason to expect this to be a bad signing and a step in the wrong direction. 

If he can do all the great things he does, bring the ball out if defence, make those crisp drilled passes between players, knock in a few long rangers, etc, etc, and not compromise the defence the way be does, absolutely fantastic. 

Of course I'll be hoping he somehow manages to sort it out. You can't help know what you know, though. 

Nonetheless, you won't see any Luiz criticism from me this point onwards unless he has a performance that warrants it, the same as with other players.

19 hours ago, mbh said:

May be to you, but to a majority of Chelsea fans his utterance is ridiculous, if you are trying to convince yourself maybe it would help if you turn your animosity

off & wait & see how he performs over a season, like a true fan would.

The man made very valid points and looking at it coldly, you have to agree with them, even though they aren't pretty.

Somehow, you and other 'true fans' want to ignore the reality. This morbid, if you will, reaction is what grates me. But enough. 

He's here to stay.

It's done. If he doesn't do as well as we would all like, I trust Conte to make the right decisions, and who knows, maybe there is a small chance he could have some improvement in concentration, consistency and mindset.

33 minutes ago, Kante Conte said:

Chelsbear, you're a very reasonable man and post well, imho, and I'll be getting behind him to do well just as with every player wearing the shirt. 

But this frenzied reaction, this euphoria over him, this for me is what is both tiresome (morso than criticism of him) and also inexplicable. 

He's played at the club a long time. We've seen plenty of him already in a Chelsea shirt and in other colours, to have good reason to expect this to be a bad signing and a step in the wrong direction. 

What frenzied reaction are you referring to, not on this forum I assume?

If anything the doom merchants, like yourself, have been far more vocal with statements like yours that this is a "step in the wrong direction".

If Luiz was the defensive liability we are led to believe how did he manage to be part of a defence that conceded just 19 league goals last season? 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

If anything the doom merchants, like yourself, have been far more vocal with statements like yours that this is a "step in the wrong direction".

If Luiz was the defensive liability we are led to believe how did he manage to be part of a defence that conceded just 19 league goals last season? 

Please don't say your talking about the French league? It's nearly as bad as the Scottish league and won by Christmas. You can't use that one to make out Luiz is a good defender.

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

All I can say is this, there is no less forgiving type of football than tournament football, mistakes will cost you big, yet Luiz won 2 European trophies with us, he has it in him to be a monster defender, if Conte didn't see that he would have vetoed the purchase, I think he will prove many wrong and we can revisit this thread, until then it should maybe be left alone until we actually have something tangible to comment on. The doom and gloom mindset is becoming trendy, although I recently started posting I have followed this forum for years, there was always a few but it's becoming epidemic, like Grannies at the bus stop moaning about the weather and London transport.  

95% chance you had no idea who bailly was before united bought him.

But i'm not paid thousands of bucks week in and week out to find the best possible player for Chelsea. Buying a player who for me has never looked like a 32 mil player -now he's even 29 years of age doesn't impress me one bit. PSG look actually quite relieved that they parted ways, Mou didn't rate him that highly, Emery too, tells an unpleasant story, imo.

Yeah yeah yeah Luiz is the GEEZER, his to tongue is always out, he comes across as a decent man, you can always see him sweat during work... club tries to find some identity, Luiz fits the bill.

Second coming is the new cool thing to do, okay.

1 hour ago, Ernie_blue said:

Please don't say your talking about the French league? It's nearly as bad as the Scottish league and won by Christmas. You can't use that one to make out Luiz is a good defender.

The Scottish league hasn't been over at Christmas for years and that's without Rangers. If you are going to make bold statements the. At least get them right

You don't win the amount of caps, trophies, played over 100 games for one of the biggest clubs in Europe and captain Brazil if you are a bad player or defender. Luiz like most footballers has mistakes in him but the amount of rubbish spouted on here by people who clearly paper over 90% of the games where he is very solid is pathetic. 

On 04/09/2016 at 19:04, pacquiao said:
because Mustafi is average, isnt any better then Cahill, and Bailly and Umtiti are not as good as Zouma and Christensen.

That's your opinion, let's see, especially when taking a look at Umtiti and Zouma.
Mustafi played his part in a world cup winning side, he bossed it in Spain, one of the most expensive German players, still has age on his side, let's see.

I know from TC that you have good football knowledge, but disagre mate. Best way is to wait and see...

On 04/09/2016 at 19:41, DonAntonio said:
Because we tried several defenders and they weren't available for what the board seemed an acceptable fleecing? He wanted a ball playing CH with a bit of pace and he got one, Luiz can pick out ridiculous passes can any of the 3 you mentioned do that? He has many other positives mentioned several times in this thread but whether you're a fan or not, on deadline day, him vs no one vs Papi 2.0 - I think the rational minded would be happier with Luiz, I'm bias because I love the guy but sense is sense. 

Mou once said he wanted Costa a year before but had to wait. Hummels went for similar money, i don't think Luiz playing out from the back that good,
there are so many players out there. Anyway it's already done, moaning doesn't change/help anything, so let's see what happens...

I know Luiz is in good books for a lot of fans, no problem for trying to talk up a so-called one of us.

2 hours ago, Ernie_blue said:

Conceding only one goal in two games on average is a good record no matter what league you play in, it's not proof Luiz second spell will be a success, but still.

Also why is the French league so underappreciated? It's a much better league than given credit for.

9 hours ago, Tibbers said:

I think PSG's deal of the season should be something that has to do with Zlatan's replacement. Not selling of David Luiz.

Why not? in 14/15 despite getting costa and cesc early, I would say our deal of the season was getting rid of torres. A 50 mil signing who consistently had to be played because of his transfer fee ahead of brilliant prospects like sturridge and lukaku. Similarly, getting rid of a 50 mil luiz and actually being able to recoup 32mil of THAT is the deal of a season for me.

Wait, are people under the impression that Mustafi "bossed it" in Spain? Neither did he play anything in a world cup winning side. Mustafi started one game in the world cup and he didnt even get to finish that game. The other game he got significant minutes in was the only game Germany didnt win that world cup. He started one game in the group stages and then wasnt heard from. Lets not act like he was a lynchpin for Germany or try to big him up to being anything but average.

11 hours ago, Chelsbear said:

The Scottish league hasn't been over at Christmas for years and that's without Rangers. If you are going to make bold statements the. At least get them right

You don't win the amount of caps, trophies, played over 100 games for one of the biggest clubs in Europe and captain Brazil if you are a bad player or defender. Luiz like most footballers has mistakes in him but the amount of rubbish spouted on here by people who clearly paper over 90% of the games where he is very solid is pathetic. 

Ok let's get it right just for you. Everyone knows the winners of the Scottish and French leagues before they have started. Playing in the French league is not hard at all and you can't judge a player for it.

10 hours ago, Argo said:

Conceding only one goal in two games on average is a good record no matter what league you play in, it's not proof Luiz second spell will be a success, but still.

Also why is the French league so underappreciated? It's a much better league than given credit for.

The league as a whole might be ok. But PSG absolutely dominate the league with the money and players they have. It's not big achievement playing in that league.

3 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Ok let's get it right just for you. Everyone knows the winners of the Scottish and French leagues before they have started. Playing in the French league is not hard at all and you can't judge a player for it.

We judged Drogba on and deemed him good enough to buy. 

There have been and are plenty of top drawer players playing in French football, Luiz had a very successful stint in Paris and his record goals conceded to games played was very impressive. You can try to dismiss that all you like, I find it pretty bizarre a Chelsea fan would go out his way to try and slate the guy before he's even kicked a ball for us in this spell.

You don't rate him, fine others do but at least wait till he's played a few games for us before giving it tight to him. It's called supporters for a reason you know.

3 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

We judged Drogba on and deemed him good enough to buy. 

There have been and are plenty of top drawer players playing in French football, Luiz had a very successful stint in Paris and his record goals conceded to games played was very impressive. You can try to dismiss that all you like, I find it pretty bizarre a Chelsea fan would go out his way to try and slate the guy before he's even kicked a ball for us in this spell.

You don't rate him, fine others do but at least wait till he's played a few games for us before giving it tight to him. It's called supporters for a reason you know.

Difference is Luiz has been at Chelsea before and his defending can be judged on that. I know how I personally judge his defending.

Going to play in the French league where PSG win it by stupid points doesn't change my opinion. I honestly hope Luiz can do that himself, we will have to wait and see.

8 hours ago, Ernie_blue said:

As apposed to say the Italian league where we were shopping for defenders this summer?

I'm sorry but you can't belittle the strength of an entire league to make an argument against Luiz. There's plenty of talented players playing in that league and it's well above the standard of the Scottish league.

24 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

As apposed to say the Italian league where we were shopping for defenders this summer?

I'm sorry but you can't belittle the strength of an entire league to make an argument against Luiz. There's plenty of talented players playing in that league and it's well above the standard of the Scottish league.

Overall the Italian league is better then the French.

You can't make the French league sound better than it is just to make Luiz sound like a good defender. Luiz has good charisma, runs and has played in the French league. We are nearly getting to his defensive abilities ;)

40 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Overall the Italian league is better then the French.

Based on what?

If we used success in the Champions League and Europa League as a measuring stick both the French and Italian teams have done as well as each other over the last few years.

The Italian league has a romanticism about it from the 90s when it was such a good league but right now I would say it's probably on par with Ligue 1.