Jump to content


pacquiao

David Luiz back at Chelsea


Recommended Posts


Clearly we have shifted our style in favour of being far more heavily possession-focused. As such, it is imperative that we have centre backs who are comfortable distributing the ball around the pitch; in theory they are going to spend significantly more of their time on the pitch each game starting attacks than stopping them. 

David Luiz is comfortably the best footballer out of all of our defenders, the best long passer and the player with the most ambition on the ball. As frustrating as it is going to be to see us suffer for Luiz's defensive lackadaisy, and also to see him keep a player as talented as Christensen out of the team, you can clearly see what Sarri's thinking is here. 

Hopefully he will be better protected as our pressing becomes more cohesive, but until then all we can do is strap ourselves in and enjoy the ride!

(Sorry @just)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/08/2018 at 10:43, PloKoon13 said:

Clearly we have shifted our style in favour of being far more heavily possession-focused. As such, it is imperative that we have centre backs who are comfortable distributing the ball around the pitch; in theory they are going to spend significantly more of their time on the pitch each game starting attacks than stopping them. 

David Luiz is comfortably the best footballer out of all of our defenders, the best long passer and the player with the most ambition on the ball. As frustrating as it is going to be to see us suffer for Luiz's defensive lackadaisy, and also to see him keep a player as talented as Christensen out of the team, you can clearly see what Sarri's thinking is here. 

Hopefully he will be better protected as our pressing becomes more cohesive, but until then all we can do is strap ourselves in and enjoy the ride!

(Sorry @just)

 

I don't like Luiz as a person, and I haven't since that night against PSG, particularly the way he behaved last season. But more people need to understand what you just said right here, I advise people to watch the Arsenal match and look at the passing from Luiz and Rudiger and how it caused Arsenal so many problems at the back. 

Although Luiz isn't the best defender and has always struggled with a lot of basic defensive principles (marking, closing down) he's still our best defender for this system. We'll see how he does, I thought 2 seasons back he was superb, even defensively he covered for himself well, with the right confidence and he can do anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Slojo said:

I don't like Luiz as a person, and I haven't since that night against PSG, particularly the way he behaved last season. But more people need to understand what you just said right here, I advise people to watch the Arsenal match and look at the passing from Luiz and Rudiger and how it caused Arsenal so many problems at the back. 

Although Luiz isn't the best defender and has always struggled with a lot of basic defensive principles (marking, closing down) he's still our best defender for this system. We'll see how he does, I thought 2 seasons back he was superb, even defensively he covered for himself well, with the right confidence and he can do anything. 

Pathetic defending for Newcastle goal, another ricket is just round the corner. Got away with it today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Not as good as a Kante - Jorginho - Kovacic/Barkley/RLC midfield so no point trying.

The balance would be off but we are defensively suspect at the minute so it's an idea, even if he were just to be subbed on regularly like Mikel.

And Luiz is like a Cesc-lite so he's not too shabby attacking wise either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

How's he gonna stand there and not attack the ball..?

Should be converted into DM, wonder how good a Kante-Luiz-Jorginho midfield would work?

 

Not this again please. He's not good in the DM position, he was never good in it when he played there under Mourinho, he's a centreback who's just ironically not a good defender. Making him a midfielder will not be using his good attributes, there's a big difference between playing in midfield to being a defender even passing wise. That's why he didn't exactly improve when Mourinho played him in the midfield, he was actually quite sloppy with the ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Not this again please. He's not good in the DM position, he was never good in it when he played there under Mourinho, he's a centreback who's just ironically not a good defender. Making him a midfielder will not be using his good attributes, there's a big difference between playing in midfield to being a defender even passing wise. That's why he didn't exactly improve when Mourinho played him in the midfield, he was actually quite sloppy with the ball. 

He's had good games there too, maybe my memory isn't that great but it feels like Jose didn't really play him there a lot, he was reluctant to do it. I think Sarri now just sees Luiz as an asset attacking wise, he's still pulling the strings from CB position so maybe he's just like f**k yeah Sarri-ball and feels the trade off is worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Slojo said:

Not this again please. He's not good in the DM position, he was never good in it when he played there under Mourinho, he's a centreback who's just ironically not a good defender. Making him a midfielder will not be using his good attributes, there's a big difference between playing in midfield to being a defender even passing wise. That's why he didn't exactly improve when Mourinho played him in the midfield, he was actually quite sloppy with the ball. 

I just can't understand why Luiz is highly thought off as a midfielder, he is useless in that position unless we are playing strictly on the counter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His goal had to be prevented, he was closer to the ball and it went past him. He now averaged a big mistake per game,  i understand Sarri rates him for his passing qualities but Cahill and Christensen are both better defenders. Doubt he will be dropped too, as long as we keep winning. Maybe after a run of 5 games with crucial mistakes will make Sarri reconsider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 wins out of 3. Luiz is very good on the ball which is why he is starting. He hasn't been 100% solid in the back but it hasn't really cost us. I think Christensen could have a chance to play but Cahill is out of his depth in this system. He is like he has ants in his pants playing the ball in the back. 

I don't think we need to change Rudiger-Luiz at this point. 

Newcastle scoring was a mistake by Luiz but I think he was expecting ref to blow the obvious foul on Giroud. He stopped for a second. And Joselu made an excellent run behind him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, evissy said:

3 wins out of 3. Luiz is very good on the ball which is why he is starting. He hasn't been 100% solid in the back but it hasn't really cost us. I think Christensen could have a chance to play but Cahill is out of his depth in this system. He is like he has ants in his pants playing the ball in the back. 

I don't think we need to change Rudiger-Luiz at this point. 

Newcastle scoring was a mistake by Luiz but I think he was expecting ref to blow the obvious foul on Giroud. He stopped for a second. And Joselu made an excellent run behind him. 

And this is the problem with David Luiz, tiny lapses in concentration that cost the team defensively. 

Having said that i would keep him in the team for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Blue Exile said:

Yesterday was a reminder to us all who Luz is.

We have the depth to sell him in January. 

Do we though.

Neither Cahill or Christensen appear to be good enough with the ball at their feet for this system. Ampadu is probably the best natural ball playing defender in the squad but i think Sarri, like so many managers, is determined not to go with a player of such a young age. Its a shame because i am convinced he would massively improve with first team exposure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...