pacquiao

David Luiz back at Chelsea

A young central defender with real pace, reads the game well and very comfortable on the ball under pressure. What's lol about that?

And other than Match of the Day telling you that last weekend, exactly how many times have you seen him play?

Edited by yorkleyblue

1 hour ago, yorkleyblue said:

A young central defender with real pace, reads the game well and very comfortable on the ball under pressure. What's lol about that?

And other than Match of the Day telling you that last weekend, exactly how many times have you seen him play?

I'm not a Liverpool fan so I haven't seen much of him. And so what if it was mentioned on MOTD. His obvious talent is there for all to see! I think its great to see a young player being given a chance at a top team rather than sent out on loan like all our promising players end up doing. We pay tens of millions for extremely ordinary players and give them game after game after putting in one crap performance after another, but NEVER give any our top young talent anything like a good enough run in the team. What a shame that is!

9 hours ago, Dixon said:

Paul Merson (says he's a Chelsea fan) can see we are better this season but thinks the defending of Luiz (and Alonso) will cost us the chance of winning the title. He pinpointed that goal he allowed at Newcastle as the kind of bad error he makes.

We have been very lucky his errors have not cost us 4 points already in just 4 games. How many more mistakes should we tolerate? Now if only we had Gomez from Liverpool. He is exactly the player we need!

Merson knows as much about predicting/forecasting as Michael Fish. 

I too have a soft spot for David Luiz...and like the poster above it's mostly down to nostalgia.  But his weaknesses are going to cost us points this year if he doesn't sort them out.  We have gotten lucky so far...we should have dropped points against Newcastle from his laziness on the header equalizer.  Bournemouth had 2 very good chances and Arsenal scored a couple cutbacks in part (not wholly) because of Luiz' laziness defensively.  Against bigger teams these will result in dropped points and I'm just not sure I can justify it.  

So far it's easy to cancel it out, but the first huge mistake against a better team that capitalizes on it and I think Sarri will be forced to make a change.  

I have no soft spot for David Luiz but he is a tremendous player on the ball, especially for a defender. There are only a few players who can replace Luiz in that department and my god are we lucky we have Rudiger, he is almost as superb in the passing department. 

On 04/09/2018 at 15:43, Dixon said:

Its almost like we don't have Christensen and Ampadu who are both miles ahead of Gomez and also young.

On 04/09/2018 at 15:43, Dixon said:

Its almost like we don't have Christensen and Ampadu who are both miles ahead of Gomez and also young.

I was actually impressed with Luiz for the majority of Conte's first season. He was very disciplined, kept his concentration and made very few errors. Towards the end of the season though some of his bad habits did start to creep back in. However, overall, I thought he had a surprisingly fine season because I did think it was a bit of a bonkers signing.

Watching Luiz play is like going on a train journey, your'e always thinking 'how the f**k does this thing stay on the rails', every bend you come to you grip the arm rest a little harder, but somehow you always seem to get home in one piece and none the worse for your white knuckle ride home.

Just seen Sarri on MOTD saying we are sh*te at the back.... Or at least the Italian double speak version. Thank God. I thought he was missing it.

A new centre-half in January. Probably won't have curly hair and the positional sense of a goldfish.

PS: Paul Merson is Welwyn boy and has been a Chelsea fan since he was a kid. For real.

1 minute ago, just said:

Just seen Sarri on MOTD saying we are sh*te at the back.... Or at least the Italian double speak version. Thank God. I thought he was missing it.

A new centre-half in January. Probably won't have curly hair and the positional sense of a goldfish.

PS: Paul Merson is Welwyn boy and has been a Chelsea fan since he was a kid. For real.

grow up and calm down

Edited by PedroMendez

8 minutes ago, coco said:

Watching Luiz play is like going on a train journey, your'e always thinking 'how the f**k does this thing stay on the rails', every bend you come to you grip the arm rest a little harder, but somehow you always seem to get home in one piece and none the worse for your white knuckle ride home.

Unless the train is going to Manchester or Liverpool.

8 minutes ago, just said:

I thank you.

It is this over the top disregard to a players ability, a player who has won a hell of a lot, that just pisses me off. 

Position sense of gold fish yeah you get to that level by being tard grow up and deliver actual contribution to this forum.

Is Luiz the best defensively in the league no is he sh*t no

Edited by PedroMendez

7 minutes ago, PedroMendez said:

It this over the top disregard to a players ability, a player who has won a hell of a lot that just pisses me off, position sense of gold fish yeah you get to that level by being tard grow up and deliver actual contribution.

Is Luiz the best defensively in the league no is he sh*t no

It's this glossing over his failure to learn from his errors, time and time again, because he is a "character" that pisses me off.

He is a massive defensive liability full stop. 

Ball in your court Pedro, tell me specifically what aspect of DEFENDING Luiz does well........ and please don't say passing!!!!!

Edited by just

12 minutes ago, just said:

It's this glossing over his failure to learn from his errors, time and time again, because he is a "character" that pisses me off.

He is a massive defensive liability full stop. 

Do I make out that he is a Pirlo in defence no. I am making out he is the best passer of the ball. no. 

Using moronic language like 'positional sense of a goldfish' for a player better than 99% of defenders could ever wish to be to make a point just pisses me off.

I'm not even an advocate of Luiz and would have Christensen in my Chelsea XI as I think he is the future of the club but Christ the sh*t he has been given over the past 5 games which we have won by the way, is just ridiculous. 

He has played well not brilliant no, but if you put 95% of the defenders in the place of Luiz even say Joe Gomez of Liverpool and we would have been worse off. 

That surely says something for the quality he adds.

Edited by PedroMendez

So no aspects of DEFENDING he is good at. We are on the same page then. Passing isn't defending otherwise Fabregas would be our centre half.

Agree about Christensen Pedro.

31 minutes ago, just said:

Unless the train is going to Manchester or Liverpool.

Until we get that train crash, it's on the train we're going, the rides a little rough, but nobody is pulling the emergency cord just yet. 

8 minutes ago, coco said:

Until we get that train crash, it's on the train we're going, the rides a little rough, but nobody is pulling the emergency cord just yet. 

I think I am gonna go by bus.

Edited by just

I actually remember David Luiz being good at one on ones before he signed for PSG, his gambles used to pay off but I hate it when he's sticking on a player these days, it was so easy for Reid to get a shot at goal on his favoured right, why not just show him to his left? He's on his own for christs sake. 

Every game it's the same. 

12 minutes ago, Slojo said:

I actually remember David Luiz being good at one on ones before he signed for PSG, his gambles used to pay off but I hate it when he's sticking on a player these days, it was so easy for Reid to get a shot at goal on his favoured right, why not just show him to his left? He's on his own for christs sake. 

Every game it's the same. 

Hmm might be looking at old DL through rose coloured glasses there. He has always been erratic not only with positioning but particularly with one on ones. He's a bit slower now too which doesn't help.

Key upgrade area in my view is that left sided CB. But I see this morning we are trying to resign him, so I've got no idea.

3 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Hmm might be looking at old DL through rose coloured glasses there. He has always been erratic not only with positioning but particularly with one on ones. He's a bit slower now too which doesn't help.

Key upgrade area in my view is that left sided CB. But I see this morning we are trying to resign him, so I've got no idea.

Not at all, Luiz was disastrous before he left, he was so bad we tried to make him a midfielder. He was only good in his first 6 months here when Carlo brought him in, after that it all went to pot really, but he's always been a gambler, and a lot of the time his one on ones were actually pretty good. It's his positioning and concentration levels that used to take a dive for us and punish us all the time, I never wanted him back here, but in his first season he really proved me wrong. 

However, this David Luiz I can't help but worry about, almost every game he's making a mistake and costing us a goal like it's a bill to pay for having him. Even the aspects that I thought he was fairly good at he isn't good at right now, his one on ones have been atrocious, he's getting beat all the time and it's very easy for average players to play against him. I worry when we play a team in the top 6 with him at the back I really do. 

Yes he looks suspect defensively and yesterday giving away a needless freekick. Also noticed a superb  40-50 yard pass out to Pedro on the right with two further  passes and a decent chance on goal. Don't think any of our other defenders have that passing range or passing ability, at least yet.

Sarri gambling that having possession will give the opposition less chances...…...