David Luiz back at Chelsea

pacquiao

1 hour ago, robdog said:

on the match thread people were giving Side Show Bob the business, but IMHO he made up for his mistake w/ this goal line clearance

To be fair if he hadn’t chucked it for the goal. It would have still been 1-0 so he probably wouldn’t have needed to do this. Nonetheless it was a good clearance. He’s still not a good enough defender though. He’d given Jorginho a horrendous ball just before their goal that could have cost us as well.

9 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

Dont like to be too critical because we are in the final and he did make up for his mistake but my god his defending was terrible for Jovic goal.

I must have seen at least 10 replays of their goal by now and I still can't quite understand what it was Luiz was trying to do? 

Why did he step up in front of Jovic after he'd won the initial ball? 

Just now, ForeverCarefree said:

I must have seen at least 10 replays of their goal by now and I still can't quite understand what it was Luiz was trying to do? 

I'm the same mate. it was mind boggling. 

I think he must've thought he could win the second challenge, but he doesnt even get close to making it, and ends up in no mans land. 

One of the poorest goals we've conceded this season, which is some achievement in itself.

Me too am trying to wrap my head around his thought process in that moment. He seems to be playing like someone who doesn't care

3 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

A mistake. He is past his best, he makes mistakes on a regular basis and he cannot cope with top strikers. As i expect to see against Auba and Lazza. When we have young guys like Tomori and Zouma, as well as possibly being able to sign players it is a waste of resources to keep him.

8 hours ago, 2211 said:

It was a very good goal line clearance but what he done for their goal was criminal.

We've literally got a defender that doesn't know how to defend properly.

He's less a defender, and more a rear positioned ball player.

9 hours ago, Brutos said:

Me too am trying to wrap my head around his thought process in that moment. He seems to be playing like someone who doesn't care

no, you just cannot say he doesn't care. you can say brainfart, twilight zone, a momentary lapse of reason, but doesn't care is a true insult. he stepped up in almost all big games this season and made some insane clearences after he was BANched for a whole last year. you can say doesn't care for willian but not for david. sorry. 

image.jpg

14 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Two year contract extension confirmed by the club. Strange we’ve broken the over 30 rule for Luiz. I don’t think he’s worth it and we would have been as well letting him move on unless he’s happy to take a squad role.

Break or policy for him and not JT or Lamps? Madness, as is giving him a new deal in the first place. After he gets torn to shreds by Auba and Lazza we will be back here wondering what the club was thinking...again....

Can't say i think it's the right way to go.

If the transfer-ban doesn't get held by CAS it forces our hand but i simply don't think David Luiz should be one of the CB's when you need to build a team for the future. He is not good enough as a CB to play for a team aiming for the league title anymore.

6 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Makes sense ... with Cahill leaving, we are short of experienced central defenders ... and what Luiz brings to the party on and of the field more than compensates for the occasional defensive error.

Occasional is being kind. Here's just a few of them from this season:

https://streamable.com/m3r7b

I understand our hand is somewhat forced but if this means the intention is for him to be starting for us for the next two years i don't like it.

I guess Sarri wants Luiz that badly. Until we find a suitable replacement. 

He is a great personality to have around but if he is a regular for the upcoming seasons then our defence will remain suspect sadly.

I'm not as confused over this deal since we know Sarri likes him but if Willian gets another deal that would truly be baffling. 

1 minute ago, Sindre said:

Occasional is being kind. Here's just a few of them from this season:

https://streamable.com/m3r7b

I understand our hand is somewhat forced but if this means the intention is for him to be starting for us for the next two years i don't like it.

We've had 15 clean sheets in our 37 PL games, and our goals conceded is still 4th best behind Liverpool, Man City & Spurs, despite the 6-0 and 4-0 fiascos in late Jan/early Feb, but I do realise that this doesn't fit the narrative  ?

2 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

We've had 15 clean sheets in our 37 PL games, and our goals conceded is still 4th best behind Liverpool, Man City & Spurs, despite the 6-0 and 4-0 fiascos in late Jan/early Feb, but I do realise that this doesn't fit the narrative  ?

I won't argue with that.

But let's be honest, David Luiz has more than the "occasional" mistake in him. That's all i was saying.