David Luiz back at Chelsea

pacquiao

Totally disagree. He is not a good defender and always has a mistake in him. I would be very happy to see him in the Arsenal back line.
Not at all surprised at this news. There have always been rumours that Frank and Luiz don't get on.
He is an okay defender as he showed with Conte. Prem team of the season back then. However he has his own way of thinking and it is not always good for the team.

This leaves us with Rudiger, who is our main man by a country mile, Christensen who is okay, Zouma who is a big body and an able defender and Tomori who is untested. We are pretty thin at the back.

If Frank thinks we can cope without Luiz then we just have to live with it and trust the man.

End of the day he's 32 he makes a lot of mistakes, really dont understand the massive uproar on here, Zouma, Christensen, Rudiger and even Dave are better centre backs.
New direction, new players, as a club we really should be refreshing the starting 11 more often rather than letting players get comfortable and stale, especially older players.

You forgot Tomori.

This will be a pretty sad and strange end to his time at Chelsea. 

Given our current transfer ban (combined with injuries) I would rather he be in our squad going into the season. 

That said, he is not exactly someone I see as a key part of our future and development under Frank, and quite frankly if he wants to go then I won't be losing any sleep. 

As others have said; he has his attributes, a unique skill set indeed, and when he is on his game he can be a real asset. I have always said that for 90% of his time on the pitch he can be world class, it is the other 10% that is a car-crash horror show to watch and will always lead to opposition goals. He is 32 and going into an Arsenal back-line. I think it's safe to assume we will be seeing a fair bit of that 10% over the next 2 years. But never the less, he can be an asset for them, but isn't exactly the answer to all their problems. 

Really strange that he wants to go there. Like everyone else, all I can assume is that he has been told he isn't first pick and there have been fall outs on the back of that. It really doesn't paint him in a good light at all, and reeks of a entitled player having a tantrum because he didn't get his own way. 

If the above is the case, I don't want him anywhere near the squad. I don't want him at Cobham. 

Get what we can for him, and get rid of him.

Don't expect a hero's welcome when you come back though 'geezer' ...

14 minutes ago, evissy said:

He is an okay defender as he showed with Conte. Prem team of the season back then. However he has his own way of thinking and it is not always good for the team.

This leaves us with Rudiger, who is our main man by a country mile, Christensen who is okay, Zouma who is a big body and an able defender and Tomori who is untested. We are pretty thin at the back.

If Frank thinks we can cope without Luiz then we just have to live with it and trust the man.

Agree with you there Evissy. An average defender is all he has ever been. His strength is his touch and range of passing. Conte's use of him was an absolute master-stroke. Took away the responsibility of holding a set position and having to mark opponents. Two aspects of defending that Luiz is consistently rubbish at.

Be sad to see Luiz go, especially if it is to the gooners, but it could be for the best.

He was a decent footballer but never had the concentration levels to be a really good defender. As good as he could be at times, he had Far too many mistakes in his game. But I will miss his personality - seemed a genuinely nice & funny bloke. We've all seen the video clips of visits to hospitals and schools and how great he is with kids - everyone seems to love the bloke and I will miss that but also look forward to his first major gaff in that Arsenal back four!!

Agree with you there Evissy. An average defender is all he has ever been. His strength is his touch and range of passing. Conte's use of him was an absolute master-stroke. Took away the responsibility of holding a set position and having to mark opponents. Two aspects of defending that Luiz is consistently rubbish at.
I fear teams will play against us like M'gladbach did. Press high. We will struggle with Azpi, Zouma and Christensen playing from there. Rudiger and Emerson are pretty good with that.

If he was genuinely told he was 4th choice, then you can sort of understand it ... not sure even my ego could take being told that Kurt Zouma was better than me, and I don't even play football [emoji846]

Onwards and upwards anyway ....
And he already sat out a season under Conte. As did Cahill. Still... He had no trust in this project.

If Lampard thought he needed him there is no way we would have agreed to sell him so we need to trust Lampard’s decision. I don’t blame him for wanting to leave if he he’s been told he’ll be first choice at arsenal. Remember Emery managed him at PSG. All the best to him for what he’s given us in the past few years, no hard feelings from me!

I remember when he came back how quick and surreal it was, almost as if i was imagining it until he started playing again. This trumps it on the surreal score by far, i was busy last night and my Dad rung me to tell me the news, i thought he was on the wind up until i opened the BBC site to see it myself, to which then i was just like what the?

The timing is beyond bizarre, less than a week ago he was talking to George Benson about how much he loves the club, was buzzing to be working under Frank and how his budding bromance with Mason Mount and within days he's forcing a move to Arsenal.

this has annoyed me no end. Why oh why do we sell so happily to our rivals?.As for Luiz at Arsenal... I can already tell you now, he is going to slap in a 30 yard screamer against us and even though I can preempt it already, I still wont be mentally prepped for it.

Edited by jrshugo

i can respect someone who is 32 not wanting to be 4th choice and wanting to go where he will play. he has already sat out one season and probably only has 2 at most at premier league level left in him. I won't dog him for it. He's been part of several great chelsea sides and had more ups than downs. 

1 minute ago, jrshugo said:

this has annoyed me no end. Why oh why do we sell so happily to our rivals?.As for Luiz at Arsenal... I can already tell you now, he is going to slap in a 30 yard screamer against us and even though I can feel already, I still wont be mentally prepped for it.

Am i the only one that doesn't really get this "never sell to rival" mentality? I mean for the top/crucial player's and the young lads with potential to hit that level absolutely but anyone below is fair game under the right circumstances for me. People will say "United don't do us a favour back" okay then bid £40m for Smalling and see how long that statement stays true. I remember when the Baka/United rumour surfaced and someone gave me the "we shouldn't help out a rival argument" umm mate that wouldn't be helping them.

I was personally delighted that we got £40m for a heavily declined Matic and i spent a season hoping United were going to give us even more for Willian.

1 hour ago, just said:

Totally disagree. He is not a good defender and always has a mistake in him. I would be very happy to see him in the Arsenal back line.

Not at all surprised at this news. There have always been rumours that Frank and Luiz don't get on.

Haven't heard that before, would be interested to see who has reported that

Just now, In the Net said:

Big bust up with Frank, from a player who should be leading by example for the young ones.  Good move by Frank to put down his marker as to where he stands with people who are not fully on board with what he is striving to achieve.

Nobody knows that. Maybe he just wants first team football and Frank couldn't guarantee that. Does that necessarily mean a bust-up?

For whatever reason he's leaving us, all in all I regret to see him go. He's been part of our squad during some successful seasons. Not a run of the mill, colourless player by any means! Hopefully our young ones will be fine without his experience. And his runup for his penalty in the CL final still scares the crap out of me.

Thanks for everything David, be happy but not successful at Arsenal.