David Luiz back at Chelsea

pacquiao

He told Arsenal.com: "All my life, I’ve always started the season with the goal to win things.

"It’s not going to be different here - I’m going to come with this mentality because this is what made me move here."

So he moved to win trophies...... Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... Oh man that's quality comedy. Good old David, he's a funny guy. 

10 hours ago, Davey Baby said:

Do I think less of Luiz? Yes I do. He could have stayed, he could have supported the manager, he could have tried to impress, he could have fought for his place, he could have mentored the younger players, he could have been a good example, but it was all about him. Going to one of our rivals in these circumstances tells us a lot. I liked Luiz, I thought the positives outweighed the negatives, he's a big personality he's talented and he's a winner. Furthermore, I'm unconvinced by Christensen and the jury is very much out on Zouma and Tomori, but we'll never know if they don't get games, and at least now they're going to play, and that has me very excited.

DB talking sense as always....

I wouldn't say he's dead to me, still have some fond memories of him as recent as the Europa league final. However, he's an @sshole to leave the club like that, if he wanted to move to Arsenal in the first place, should have turned down the contract offer and walked off. Even few weeks ago he'd talked about he's excited about the new season and manager, it's all BS.  Whatever happened or didn't happen in the dressing room should be kept as a secret, we don't need a Chelsea headline of that kind. He's never convinced me as  a leader in the defence, so I expect a backline of Luiz and Mustafi will have plenty of fun, for the opposition attackers.

According to Frank it was his decision for Luiz to sit out training this week. He uses the words 'honest discussions' a few times to describe what took place, but it's pretty clear that once Luiz was told there would be competition for his spot and he was no longer guaranteed a starting place in the team he chose to leave rather that stay and fight.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/chelsea-tv/press-conference

You can love David Luiz and everything he did for us over the years, and you can also be really annoyed at him over the manner of his departure. They're not mutually exclusive.

I'm not overly bothered about seeing him in an Arsenal shirt because I watch them (as in full 90 mins) about twice a season, funnily enough, depending on cup draws. The bit that stings is him trashing his own legacy, which nessecarily is forever cast in a different light due to the manner and destination of his exit. It doesn't cancel out Munich or Baku, that much is obvious. But it's just different now, and that's a bit sad.

For me it's not about loyalty or any similar silly notions, we're all adults here and at the end of the day it's a business. David Luiz has to look out for himself, if he did a cruciate in April Marina wouldn't have given him a contract in May for example. It absolutely cuts both ways, we've had plenty of examples of the club not doing right by various players and their best interests over the years (turning Drinkwater into an utter non-entity being one random recent example). It's just the nature of the business. 

But in saying that, we all get drawn in by certain players who seem to 'get' the club to a greater extent than the norm. It's a very visceral thing. Sideshow Bob absolutely had been one of those players over the years. His character just meshed really well, how many other players could you imagine sodding off to PSG and then being welcomed back with open arms. In the fullness of time we'll learn the real reasons for his departure, not the bullsh*t Arsenal generic PR lines or our own 5th Stand app Pravda stuff.

Time and age dictate that he'll never be retrospectively remembered as an Arsenal player, his career will always be most defined by his time with us. Eventually in a few years with water under the bridge and the sting taken out, I honestly don't think we're going to be sitting here coating him off as some sort of Judas. He won't be persona non grata or anything silly like that. It will just be a bit different. A bit tarnished. Not quite the easy, comfortable story with a happy ending that we'd have all liked it to be. 

David Luiz wasn't quite as Chelsea as we thought he was. Not quite the carefree, affable geezer persona. Couldn't quite depart gracefully and conveniently in a manner which suited our own selfish wishes as fans. But that's fine. Few players can live up to all of those things, and it's rarely that simple. 

(Fear I've typed a load of twaddle here, but sod it, started and suddenly got a bit stream of consciousness, ended up with a longer post than I had intended)

19 minutes ago, fitz said:

According to Frank it was his decision for Luiz to sit out training this week. He uses the words 'honest discussions' a few times to describe what took place, but it's pretty clear that once Luiz was told there would be competition for his spot and he was no longer guaranteed a starting place in the team he chose to leave rather that stay and fight.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/chelsea-tv/press-conference

Heard it was all pretty amicable. As you mention, it was down to Frank, Luiz didn't refuse to train or anything like that.                                                                                      Frank wants to build a new, much youngeer team. At 32, Luiz is rightly not content being moved down to 3rd or 4th choice. Yes, he could have stayed and try to get his place back, but with much younger players in front of him he simply decided to leave. I personally don't see anything  to be upset or angry about. Players come and go, so onwards and upwards with the new team that is being built.

Edited by Dixons

14 minutes ago, zinc alloy said:

Good luck David, you gave me plenty of entertainment. A great personality with young supporters especially.

Yeah, a real colourful character who's left me with a lot more good memories than bad!

Strange but I’m really not that bothered about the whole transfer. Never really had a connection with him or his hair.

I don’t think he was a great player, decent but not great. He’s on the downward spiral. Our team will not be greatly weakened by his departure. Arsenal will not be greatly strengthened by his arrival.

Frank doesn’t fancy him, Luiz wants to play, moves to another team, end off.

Luiz has played a blinder here.

Hes managed to convince Emery to sign him AGAIN. I think long term Zouma & Rudiger will be the CB pairing but the fact Luiz wouldn't fight for a jersey shows you exactly what type of person you're dealing with.

Hes had some real high points in the Chelsea shirt, including 3 European titles but leaving the club in the manner he has is a joke. Honestly, had it happened at the start of the window, I dont think anyone would have cared all that much but leaving the club when you're the senior CB, the next best CB is recovering from a knee issue and the other 3 still have question marks over their head, its a bit sh*t from Luiz.

The sooner the Brazilian mafia are cut of the club the better and hopefully Willian follows him next year.

Yeah after hearing it was Frank's decision to make him sit out training I'm a little less annoyed with Luiz. Still think he should have stayed and fought. It's pretty clear from the interview that FL has made it clear to ALL the players that they are not automatic First Team starters. The rest stayed - one left.

42 minutes ago, mclovin83 said:

Because Frank played it down to a room full of journos?

Did you honestly expect him to come out and reveal all the details of what went on behind the scenes?

Exactly. Frank actually said there were ‘honest conversations’, he almost certainly wasn’t lying as that can be interpreted in quite a few ways.

8 hours ago, mclovin83 said:

DB talking sense as always....

Thank you kindly squire.

Having seen Frank's (immaculate) press conference, and reading between the lines, I suspect Frank had a good look at Luiz in pre-season and wasn't entirely enamoured of his performances and/or his attitude. In his press conference, Frank said he had always appreciated honesty from his managers as a player, and he said he was honest and open with Luiz. This suggests to me that Frank was the initiator in all of this, though a poor attitude from Luiz may suggest he wasn't particularly keen on playing for Lampard.

He told Luiz he wasn't convinced by him or he wasn't exactly what he wanted as a CB, and Luiz said fine, I'll go to Arsenal, and Frank said fine. It sounds like it was pretty amicable. The fact we only got £8m for a player of his pedigree suggests Frank was desperate to see him go, and he didn't care where. It rankles a bit but so long as Frank's happy I'm happy and I believe he's a lot happier without Luiz stinking up the joint.