Marcos Alonso

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I think it's fair to say Emerson deserves a chance over Alonso at this point. We have known for years now that Alonso can't be a LB in a back four because he just doesn't have the pace to defend 1v1 against decent wingers. 

The only time Alonso should be used is if we switch back to a back-3 and even then he would obviously be second choice to Chilwell.

Just now, Brutos said:

I actually don't blame him for the goal we had defenders behind the ball yet WBA still scored which shows a bigger issue

I agree ... Christensen for example may well have had a decent game today, but he's still been part of a defence that shipped 3 goals to a newly promoted side that has been battered by Everton and Leicester in it's first two games ...  no-one in the defence comes out of a stat like that with much credit !

34 minutes ago, Brutos said:

I actually don't blame him for the goal we had defenders behind the ball yet WBA still scored which shows a bigger issue

Having watched the goals again, the first goal yes it's a sloppy header from Alonso .... but the defensive midfielders have also been a bit too slow to react to the danger and get back ....

image.thumb.png.5863539af2cf9e0d69b04117d877c6bc.png

By the time the shot comes in plenty of people are back, and no-one gets tight enough to stop or block the the shot. Willie's positioning looks slightly off as well, too close to his near post. I think Mendy stops that.

image.thumb.png.123ba089e2d5639c6aea569db3d7e78b.png

Both the DMs are ball watching and running towards the ball and oblivious to the other WBA players on the edge of the box.

The second goal is on Silva, but again I think Willie should do better.

I'd have Alonso at fault for the 3rd goal, as he is out of position and allows the man to run in behind and get a free header from his side of the defence, but I also think the positioning of both centre backs is questionable, and there is another WBA player free as well. James is also playing the WBA players onside, and is way out of position for a right back. Cluster f**k all round really ...

image.png.64ad066bada76a306b2d5a193e10d9da.png

10 of our team are in that last photo ... in our own penalty area ... vs just 5 opposing players ....  it really shouldn't be so easy for West Brom to score !!!!

Edited by Sexyfootball

6 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Having watched the goals again, the first goal yes it's a sloppy header from Alonso .... but the defensive midfielders have also been a bit too slow to react to the danger and get back ....

image.thumb.png.5863539af2cf9e0d69b04117d877c6bc.png

By the time the shot comes in plenty of people are back, and no-one gets tight enough to stop or block the the shot. Willie's positioning looks slightly off as well, too close to his near post. I think Mendy stops that.

image.thumb.png.123ba089e2d5639c6aea569db3d7e78b.png

Both the DMs are ball watching and running towards the ball and oblivious to the other WBA players on the edge of the box.

The second goal is on Silva, but again I think Willie should do better.

I'd have Alonso at fault for the 3rd goal, as he is out of position and allows the man to run in behind and get a free header from his side of the defence, but I also think the positioning of both centre backs is questionable, and there is another WBA player free as well. James is also playing the WBA players onside, and is way out of position for a right back. Cluster f**k all round really ...

image.png.64ad066bada76a306b2d5a193e10d9da.png

I was just about the post these shots saying something  similar about Alonso  even with the 3rd goal James anticipation and awareness to push up with the rest of the team is also in question, not removing the blame from Alonso but James defending mistakes keeps getting pushed under the carpet he played the scorer on side and no one is mentioning that.

Edited by Brutos

When he was chipping in with goals his nonchalant defending could be somewhat forgiven. At fault for 2 today, James helped him out playing scorer onside, 1 vs Vermin last week. Is he good enough for bench just for 3 at the back formation? I think not now his goal threat has backed off. Who would take him off the clubs hands next week ? 

Chelsea coach Frank Lampard handed Marcos Alonso a furious dressing down in front of his team-mates after the left-back tried to watch the second half of their game at West Brom on the team coach rather than with the rest of the substitutes.

Multiple sources have told The Athletic that Lampard confronted Alonso following the 3-3 draw on Saturday evening having discovered he went to the bus on his own without permission after being taken off at half-time.

Alonso was one of two players changed at the interval. Mateo Kovacic also paid the price for a disastrous 45 minutes from the visitors, who trailed Slaven Bilic’s side 3-0.

But while the Croatia midfielder took his place in the stands with the rest of Chelsea’s contingent to watch proceedings in the second half as normal, it is understood Alonso went to the team coach after taking a shower.

Observers at the game did spot the 29-year-old within 10-15 minutes of the restart back inside the confines of the ground, but were surprised to see him in a different area to where the away group are expected to be, especially with strict COVID-19 protocols in place.

Insiders have described Lampard as being “the angriest they’ve ever seen him” as he lambasted Alonso for his actions in front of stunned team-mates. It is believed the Chelsea boss made a point of saying how while the side had shown great togetherness, determination and character to fight back from three goals down to earn a point, the Spain international had shown he wasn’t bothered about the team and that he made the situation all about him.

One source explains: “The players were saying they have never seen the manager like this. It kicked off after the game and he was going mad at Alonso. Some were talking about how they’d be surprised if he plays for Chelsea ever again.”

This behavior should not be tolerated. Maybe Kepa scene made him think he can get away with it. Well, unfortunately for him he is neither young, nor expensive.

Sell him. Sell Kepa as well.

We also should have sold Batschuayi when he didn't shake Pedro's hand when he was taken off. 

This club can't handle its players, can it? Ironically legends like Lampard, Drogba and Terry contributed to this state of power and now they have to deal with it. Strange world. 

Edited by Droopy

Seriously tho, who mopes around after a stinker of a performance that he put up in the first half. Sends the wrong signals to the manager and the club, but to other clubs that may have had interest in him. If I am Juventus -- I would confirm the story, but it's from pretty reliable sources -- I wouldn't want anything to do with a player that has an attitude like that. 

It's one thing to be hard on yourself, but to completely abandon your teammates and the club... disgraceful.

1 hour ago, Droopy said:

This behavior should not be tolerated. Maybe Kepa scene made him think he can get away with it. Well, unfortunately for him, he's dealing with Lampard and not Sarri.

There fix it for you.

I doubt Frank will let Kepa get away if he pulls the same stunt as last year, regardless of his age or his transfer fee amount.