He'll do for now, but I think he should look to upgrade in the summer. He's very easy to beat one on one as his acceleration is terrible and he doesn't stop enough crosses coming into the box. 

He's alright, i;m not saying he's rubbish, but we could do better I think. If we recoup about £12-15m for him and maybe the same for Baba in the summer, we'll have about £30m to spend on 1, better LB.

I think every LB in the modern game should be able to play WB. A left back nowadays places as much emphasis on attacking as defending.

Defending is a team thing you're right but that doesnt paper over the fact that everytime a winger gets him 1v1, invariably they 'skin' him. It was just yesterday there were examples inthe previous weeks. You cant improve accelration/athleticism. He just doesnt have enough to be top class.

BTW - Wiliian is certainly not a wingback! 

Victor Moses is certainly not a wingback!
6 minutes ago, Zeta Orionis said:

He'll do for now, but I think he should look to upgrade in the summer. He's very easy to beat one on one as his acceleration is terrible and he doesn't stop enough crosses coming into the box. 

He's alright, i;m not saying he's rubbish, but we could do better I think. If we recoup about £12-15m for him and maybe the same for Baba in the summer, we'll have about £30m to spend on 1, better LB.

I think your first line sums it up perfectly, he will do for now. Its pretty obvious he was brought in to allow Conte to change to this formation, and he was pretty much the only one available to fit the criteria. I fully expect he will be replaced in the summer (possibly even winter window) but he was brought in to do a job and he is doing it well enough.

We are top of the pile and that is great but on closer inspection....especially over the last two games against decent opposition...we have been extremely fortunate that Spuds and Citeh couldn't finish, had they had done so the results would uncover up our most glaring weaknesses which are Cahill and Alonso.   Where is Zouma these days? he is not even making the bench despite the fact that he is back to full fitness I assume with his run outs in the U23's; surely the Ideal replacement for Cahill....as for Alonso, we could try Dave in the LWB position, or what about giving Chabolah a run out in that position against some lower opposition to see how he adapts?   Alonso is just about doing an OK job, but very often goes missing when we need him defensively and rarely prevents a cross from his side...very much in the mold of Ivan, who hopefully will remain on the bench until he retires or leaves the club.  

3 hours ago, barak81 said:

And yet we have won every game he has started.

worth baring in mind that today he was supported by fabregas and not matic 

Im not sure matic would have effected how much room alonso was giving kdb and navas to put balls into the box. 

Alonso is a decent player, but is he the best we get for that position? i dont think so personally.

2 hours ago, Davey Baby said:

That is undoubtedly true, but at the moment it seems an obvious area of weakness. City certainly identified him as a weakness. Kenedy is back now and he may get a chance when Alonso misses out for any reason, and it will be interesting to see how he does.

So who would you place in front of him?he had to cover two maybe 3 players, for all the fabregas offers with the ball he will always create extra defensive strain on those around him 

edit was was meant to quote big blue 

Edited by barak81
10 minutes ago, barak81 said:

So who would you place in front of him?he had to cover two maybe 3 players, for all the fabregas offers with the ball he will always create extra defensive strain on those around him 

alonso worst game was against spurs or at least it's also 1 of his worsts and matic was playing in that game..

16 minutes ago, barak81 said:

Was you meant to quote me barak? 

I agree fabregas does can put more strain defensively on players around him, but i dont think it negates that when alonso is 1v1 he gets beaten too easily or doesnt stop the cross. This isnt my opinion just from yesterday, it has happened in quite a few games, valencia breezed past him 2 or 3 times against united. 

Like others have said he can do a job for now, there isnt an abundance of world class left back or wing back options out there. I hope we explore the possibility of using kenedy, ake, or jay da silva in their long term.

3 minutes ago, jamie#8 said:

not sure why a lot of posters confuse Team results with individual performances.

Its as if when we win, its not feasible that one of our players had a bad game. Both can/does happen.

We have won every game the guy has started, in the league we have conceded two goals. And scored over 20 Again, not saying his the second coming of sammer but he has to take serious credit for being part of this team, we are not winning inspite of him

7 minutes ago, barak81 said:

We have won every game the guy has started, in the league we have conceded two goals. And scored over 20 Again, not saying his the second coming of sammer but he has to take serious credit for being part of this team, we are not winning inspite of him

But them facts bear no resemblence to the points people are making about his performances on here.

Just now, barak81 said:

If it didn't we wouldn't have done as well as we have, he is not being carried 

Not seen one post saying we are carrying him. Most saying he is weak link defensively, especially when isolated 1v1 and that he probably falls short of top class, which is what we should strive for all of our players to be.

1 hour ago, jamie#8 said:

has much more defensive nous than Willian.

when did you find out? certainly before he's instructed to play wingback right? there is a reason why willian is jose's type of player..

Against city yesterday, moses was caught up cold  in the 1st half, letting 1 city player got behind him from either silva/kdb cross, i can't remember.. but he managed to stay alert on the 2nd half to follow aguero and made a last ditch attempt to deny him.. This 1 example is probably the so called defensive nous you're talking about but I would suggest it's being coached/instructed by the manager..  I don't see why willian can't be asked to do the same.. They're both wingers before this season...

7 minutes ago, bola said:

when did you find out? certainly before he's instructed to play wingback right? there is a reason why willian is jose's type of player..

Against city yesterday, moses was caught up cold  in the 1st half, letting 1 city player got behind him from either silva/kdb cross, i can't remember.. but he managed to stay alert on the 2nd half to follow aguero and made a last ditch attempt to deny him.. This 1 example is probably the so called defensive nous you're talking about but I would suggest it's being coached/instructed by the manager..  I don't see why willian can't be asked to do the same.. They're both wingers before this season...

Called an opinion.

i think he can defend alright, but the problem is he's unbelievably slow, like John Terry slow. which is a problem considering he's played as a wing back where he's required to run up and down the pitch. and of course, his lack of pace puts him further in disadvantage every time he faces pacy wingers (and let's be real, most of PL club has pacy wingers in their team)

1 hour ago, big blue said:

Was you meant to quote me barak? 

I agree fabregas does can put more strain defensively on players around him, but i dont think it negates that when alonso is 1v1 he gets beaten too easily or doesnt stop the cross. This isnt my opinion just from yesterday, it has happened in quite a few games, valencia breezed past him 2 or 3 times against united. 

Like others have said he can do a job for now, there isnt an abundance of world class left back or wing back options out there. I hope we explore the possibility of using kenedy, ake, or jay da silva in their long term.

Ake is th name here for me, I think he has done more then enough to have got a shot and he has all the attributes to play that position to a very high level.

da Silvia is a great talent but always have the question marks regarding his higher 

3 minutes ago, magichat said:

i think he can defend alright, but the problem is he's unbelievably slow, like John Terry slow. which is a problem considering he's played as a wing back where he's required to run up and down the pitch. and of course, his lack of pace puts him further in disadvantage every time he faces pacy wingers (and let's be real, most of PL club has pacy wingers in their team)

I agree but for me he has exceeded all my expectations so far non the less. Navas did have a field day with him yesterday though and almost everything City created came from that side of the pitch. Moses however did fantasticly well in getting back in front of Aguero on more then one occassion to eighter hinder him or clear the ball away. So he got away with it yesterday but he does have a wonderful left foot, is a good header of the ball which is useful and is a good system player.

We love for us to find another player in the mould of Moses eighter in january or the summer though. It is an area where we can do better.