Scott Harris

Marcos Alonso

Love the bloke. Sorry I doubted him but if he puts in a shift like that throughout the season, might even win us a title or two.

Really need a good cover for him

I have to admit, I was really disappointed we didn't get Sandro, but alonso is still a very good player, and he looks like he is still improving. 

In terms of improving the starting 11, I think replacing moses, or breaking the bank for another attacker, would be more beneficial than signing Sandro. 

I always wanted a backup for LWB, and upgrade for RWB...and this is why. Alonso isn't perfect, but he's dangerous. His free kicks are a real weapon.

If we can get a good secondary LWB, that's ideal for me. If he turns out to be better than Alonso, he will usurp his spot anyway. Spending 70mil on Sandro (who is in all likelihood a better all round defender), is a luxury. We could potentially fill a few holes in the team for that much money.

pace has always been the one issue with him that is irritating. if he had more pace i genuinely think he could be one of top left backs. other than that, he doesn't have any glaring weaknesses to his game. 

Its amazing, he just keeps getting better.

I was hoping for a lwb upgrade this year but if he keeps turning in performances like 2nd half burnley and spurs away we would be mad to spend £60m on sandro.

5 minutes ago, enigma said:

pace has always been the one issue with him that is irritating. if he had more pace i genuinely think he could be one of top left backs. other than that, he doesn't have any glaring weaknesses to his game. 

Both his goals were just brilliant, the 2nd goal was amazing, the give and go, the blistering shot low into Lloris made it too hot for him to handle.

If Hazard had put in that display we would not be surprised. But to get those kind of goals from your fullback winger is a huge plus for Conte. He ain't bad in the air either.

What a player, yeah he could be faster, but the goal threat he brings is awesome, if we got van Dijk and played him LCB maybe that would work nicely. The issue we have is that Rudiger and Christensen who are both good Imo can only play their best on the right, so Cahill is our option on the left, and he is our weak link, him paired with what is a not very defensive wing back can cause issues, use the money to strengthen cahills spot not Alonso's. 

54 minutes ago, coco said:

He ain't bad in the air either.

He's amazing in the air to be honest.

If he had pace he'd cost £70 million and considered up there with Marcelo i think. Still a fantastic player though and very, very important to us. Probably one of the best left foots we have seen at the club. Rocket.

I was wondering previously about Alonso's lack of pace defensively yet I had a nagging doubt about whether this was exacerbated by not enough midfield support, well we had a strong midfield yesterday and Alonso shone. Good to see and cracking goals too, think Lloris was half expecting a cross and caught out by the pace of the strike for the second.

One of his best performances yesterday was brilliant bombing up and down the left defending well and the 2 goals. Every time he steps up for a set piece I'm expecting him to hit the target.

I don't like to say or think we are getting a player to replace him but rather to support and provide competition(which helps you be at the top of your game). He is a very effective player, offensively and defensively. I like that he has that killer instinct when in the opposition area and I saw an impressive stat on Sky Sports this morning about him having the most goals contribution by a defensive player which supports this.

there was a stat going around on twitter which was something like, he's taken 8 free kicks, 5 he has scored from and 3 of them hit the woodwork. pretty spectacular if true. 

From my memory over 90% of his free kicks are good, they either go in, draw a top class save or hit the woodwork. If I remember correctly I've only seen one poor FK from him under pressure I think that was in the FA cup final.

His consistency at accurate free kicks is even better than Willian.