Scott Harris

Marcos Alonso

He's literally an extra inside forward on the left, looked more likely to score than 2 of our strikers. He's one hell of a player, even his defence is a little suspect, if he fixes that he'd be the best left back out there, period.

It amazing how it seemed like practically everyone was saying why arent we playing Emerson, its a tradegy. Im sure if anyone looked over the Huddersfield match threads, everyone was furious we choose him to start and it really baffled me. Like i said at the start of the season, we have arguably the best left back in England, and hes shown it over two years. It seems hes actually got even better and is probably the best left back in Europe now. 

What he adds to us in attack with goals/assists has prob been the reason why we have 12 points and not 7/8. 

Looks like Sarri instructs him to come inside, toward the 18 yard box, when in the final third.

The amount of times he’s popping up in the box can’t be a coincidence. Traditionally you’d get your fullback to overlap the attackers on the outside but I think Sarri sees what good close control Alonso has and what a big scoring threat he is that he’s asking him to attack the box when he goes forwards.

24 minutes ago, coco said:

In the first four games this forum has given him 2x MOTM awards, a 2nd place, and a 4th place.

Nice to know this forum knows class when they see it.

He should get player of the month aswell. Unbelievable contribution from left back. 

Wonder if Spain will give him a start?

After their underwhelming World Cup you’d think that they’d be looking to inject something new into the team and Alba isn’t playing anywhere near the level he was a few years back.

But then I’m also massively biased. 

7 hours ago, enigma said:

I hope it isn't his defensive work that ends up letting us down. Alonso is such a great player to have, but how long until he lets us down defensively? 

That’s the concern for me too. Also that if he’s perpetually bombing forward, it could force Dave to sit back more than he should, which could make us very one sided. I love Alonso’s attacking contribution, but Sarri has already pointed out that the CBs are being left too exposed. I think Alonso just needs to choose his times to attack, and not overlook his defensive positioning duties. He’s having a cracking season so far, and I’d love for him to continue adding to our attack, but just not be reckless about it.

9 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

After their underwhelming World Cup you’d think that they’d be looking to inject something new into the team and Alba isn’t playing anywhere near the level he was a few years back.

I think they will. Luis Enrique didn't even call up Alba, despite him being fit. The two left backs in the squad are Alonso and Gaya. So for now I guess he'll be given the starting spot.

9 hours ago, enigma said:

I hope it isn't his defensive work that ends up letting us down. Alonso is such a great player to have, but how long until he lets us down defensively? 

11 hours ago, Slojo said:

He's absolutely screaming for him to have a bad game so he can pollute his agenda. 

You absolutely love talking about me indirectly, don't you?

And no, i'm not screaming out for him to have a bad game. Why on earth would a Chelsea fan want a Chelsea player to have a bad game? I choose him in my predicted starting 11 each week. Strange mentality to think this. I know a bad game will inevitably come when someone targets that side on the counter attack but at the moment he's doing fine attacking and outscoring the opponent. 

Sure he has faults but has so much to offer.Dangerous in and around the box,great shot and good in the air.According to MOD the best left back in Europe.Is he really a left back though ? Well done Marcus,keep it up.

10 hours ago, enigma said:

Well after four games we have the second best defensive record in the league behind Liverpool (who by all accounts have had an easy start to the their campaign playing Brighton, Palace and West Ham in their opening three fixtures). 

This despite having "defensive liabilities" in our back four of Luiz and Alonso. 

Just feels like some fans are waiting for certain players to make a mistake so they can pop up and say "ah ha! told ya!". 

I don't think Alonso has looked any more suspect defensively than anyone else in our back four, including Azpilicueta down the right. All the while Alonso is also contributing massively in attack and is a big reason for our perfect start to the season. 

11 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Rather they didnt just so Alonso has more rest time tbh

I have come to the conclusion that if Alonso stopped his forward forays and concentrated on his 'off the ball' defending it would take the football player out of him.

He's a player with great control of the ball, a great feel for a weight of a pass, a lethal shot on his left foot, and a reliable right foot, not to mention a strong aerial game.

Opposition managers can no longer ignore him, he's a flanking hammer that can smash the side of a defence open, the threat he offers is a defence in itself.

On 03/09/2018 at 22:35, ForeverCarefree said:

I think this will be a similar situation to Mata and Dave where they just don't fit the way Spain play as they are too direct. I might be proven wrong though. 

Alonso reported as sayin about Hazard:

"I did not see Hazard in Madrid this summer. He’s very happy at Chelsea. I do not know if there was interest or not but Hazard and his family are very well at Chelsea”

And regarding links to leaving Chelsea during the summer, with Madrid said to have been interested.

"I never saw myself outside Chelsea this summer. I am very happy there, I have three years left on my contract and my idea has always been to stay”.

I’m all in on the Marcos Alonso fan club.