Marcos Alonso

Scott Harris

1 minute ago, Scott Harris said:

In this system? no, he's not. I remember at the start of the season most fans saying they would be worried about seeing Alonso playing in a back 4 in more open team, and you can see why.

Yep i was one of them, because he so damn slow and has no aggression. It looks like Emerson can't play two games in a row so Alonso will get plenty more games. We need to buy another left back in the summer by the looks of things.

Hes an average player who had a stand out season and picked up a winners medal. 

I thought he was pretty poor last season at wing back aswell. 

Conte was desperate for Alex sandro, so i think it is telling that the manager that has seen you at your very best still doesn't think you are good enough.

Even his best asset. his free kicks have gone missing.
I blame that on Sarri's system, during Conte's time, we were more dangerous when we attack on our right side with Moses and Willian, so most teams panicked when our players approach there box which make them draw lots of fouls outside the box. But with Sarri's system, as a player, you don't have to use lots of pace and trickery when you approach the opposition box, you just have to slow down a bit and keep on passing the ball around until the defence of the opponent allows you to get into the box and shoot on goal.

2 minutes ago, wallosh said:

I blame that on Sarri's system, during Conte's time, we were more dangerous when we attack on our right side with Moses and Willian, so most teams panicked when our players approach there box which make them draw lots of fouls outside the box. But with Sarri's system, as a player, you don't have to use lots of pace and trickery when you approach the opposition box, you just have to slow down a bit and keep on passing the ball around until the defence of the opponent allows you to get into the box and shoot on goal. 

That has reminded me of LVG's United..............:sad:

20 hours ago, Kev56 said:

Beggars belief someone decided to give him a 5year contract. We really really need to get a director of football in who actually knows football. f**kin joke. 

Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia added: 'We are delighted to be extending Marcos' contract.

'In the past two seasons he has developed into an important player for the club, demonstrating his outstanding ability and a fantastic attitude that has helped him become a Premier League champion and Spain international.'

Just now, Sexyfootball said:

Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia added: 'We are delighted to be extending Marcos' contract.

'In the past two seasons he has developed into an important player for the club, demonstrating his outstanding ability and a fantastic attitude that has helped him become a Premier League champion and Spain international.'

As i said, someone who f**kin  actually knows something  about football. 

I said it in the match thread but just to reiterate it in here.

I thought Alonso played very well today especially in the circumstances of the abuse he’s taken lately. He was solid defensively which is what he usually gets slaughtered for. Including a brilliant recovery in order to cover for Luiz getting taken out the game to stop Son getting a volley in from a very dangerous position. Played a couple of cracking balls for Pedro which I thought he could have done more with. Much better from him and hopefully he can build on it. 

15 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I said it in the match thread but just to reiterate it in here.

I thought Alonso played very well today especially in the circumstances of the abuse he’s taken lately. He was solid defensively which is what he usually gets slaughtered for. Including a brilliant recovery in order to cover for Luiz getting taken out the game to stop Son getting a volley in from a very dangerous position. Played a couple of cracking balls for Pedro which I thought he could have done more with. Much better from him and hopefully he can build on it. 

I read on twitter he had to turn off his comments on his instagram account - very sad indeed

Thought he was very solid tonight. Sarri not asking him to bomb forward with reckless abandon certainly helps, as does having some midfield cover. Really glad to see him fighting for his spot after being dropped for Malmo and Man City. I still see Emerson starting for Fulham on Sunday, but hopefully the competition pushes them both to keep upping their game. 

I also thought he was excellent against Spurs. And I thought Emerson was very good against City. And Azpilicueta was very good in both games. 

The benefit to the FBs of playing slightly more defensively and actually giving them some cover is the main difference tho, rather than them magically becoming better players. The constant pressing regardless of situation wasn't working, and was exposing our defence. the idea that they need help isn't a knock on any of them. It's a team game. All of these guys can look like good players in the right system, and all of them will get slaughtered if we leave them constantly exposed. I'm glad Sarri has adapted a little bit, because he needed to. What we were doing was making the whole team look worse than it is. Right now, it's two good performances on the spin, against two very good teams. 

9 minutes ago, Ready Player One said:

I also thought he was excellent against Spurs. And I thought Emerson was very good against City. And Azpilicueta was very good in both games. 

The benefit to the FBs of playing slightly more defensively and actually giving them some cover is the main difference tho, rather than them magically becoming better players. The constant pressing regardless of situation wasn't working, and was exposing our defence. the idea that they need help isn't a knock on any of them. It's a team game. All of these guys can look like good players in the right system, and all of them will get slaughtered if we leave them constantly exposed. I'm glad Sarri has adapted a little bit, because he needed to. What we were doing was making the whole team look worse than it is. Right now, it's two good performances on the spin, against two very good teams. 

Completely agree. I do have a feeling that we'll be back to "Plan A" against Fulham, which means the FBs pushing up more again, midfielders pushing up, which inevitably will leave gaps at the back again.

I'm comfortable with that against Fulham who have looked very poor this season, but I'm not so sure if that will work against Wolves or Everton. 

Maybe the solution going forward this season is to have Emerson play the attacking, high pressing games, and then have Alonso play the more defensive "Plan B" type games? 

I really don't know. But at the very least, demonstrating a strong "Plan B" now should give opposing managers something to think about. 

I will say that the first 20 minutes against Spurs was a very successful "Plan A" and should've produced a goal for us. I can't see us keeping that up for 90 minutes because it just seems so physically and mentally draining, but if we can replicate those 20 minutes for even 40 minutes (20 min either half) in the Wolves and Everton games, we should be ok. 

1 hour ago, dustbin719 said:

Completely agree. I do have a feeling that we'll be back to "Plan A" against Fulham, which means the FBs pushing up more again, midfielders pushing up, which inevitably will leave gaps at the back again.

I'm comfortable with that against Fulham who have looked very poor this season, but I'm not so sure if that will work against Wolves or Everton. 

Maybe the solution going forward this season is to have Emerson play the attacking, high pressing games, and then have Alonso play the more defensive "Plan B" type games? 

I really don't know. But at the very least, demonstrating a strong "Plan B" now should give opposing managers something to think about. 

I will say that the first 20 minutes against Spurs was a very successful "Plan A" and should've produced a goal for us. I can't see us keeping that up for 90 minutes because it just seems so physically and mentally draining, but if we can replicate those 20 minutes for even 40 minutes (20 min either half) in the Wolves and Everton games, we should be ok. 

Yes will be interesting to see how we approach the Fulham game, perhaps one for starting RLC and also playing Emerson.

A result like against Huddersfield would go down nicely though if not a single goal win will do.

Should be an electric atmosphere as a Fulham fan I worked with last year said Fulham don't really sing many songs except they hate Chelsea, nearly every other song is about Chelsea. He was a recent Fulham fan coming over to do his OE from Australia. 

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

Yes will be interesting to see how we approach the Fulham game, perhaps one for starting RLC and also playing Emerson.

A result like against Huddersfield would go down nicely though if not a single goal win will do.

Should be an electric atmosphere as a Fulham fan I worked with last year said Fulham don't really sing many songs except they hate Chelsea, nearly every other song is about Chelsea. He was a recent Fulham fan coming over to do his OE from Australia. 

Yes most Fulham fans won't mind being relegated this season if they can get a win over us. Absolutely hate us, same for QPR.

The whole club and the fans will treat this game as the equivalent of playing in the CL final.