1 hour ago, ENygma said:

Oh my mistake, I was under the impression he plays on the left! 

In that case, I would suggest Azpi, Reece James on the right. If Azpi is getting past it, then I would love to sign Wan-Bissaka! Have Zappa as back up and we're good.

Left back is going to be a little tricky to sort out if Alonso leaves then, Emerson is a little injury prone so we'll definitely need to strengthen there

It really depends how the club see Reece James compared to Alonso.  I mean Zappacosta played 15 games all year.  Azpi, can swing over to leftback when reece james plays and emerson needs rest.

Reece James is a beast. I have no concerns about him progressing in our side. We have some cracking young players that we need to give a chance to and give them patience.

Looking at RLC. Did not seem so special when he broken in at first but now most of us were furious when he got injured in the states. How about Andreas? Many wanted him chucked out after his mistakes under Conte. He was our best defender in the final closely followed by Azpi.

17 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Reece James is a beast. I have no concerns about him progressing in our side. We have some cracking young players that we need to give a chance to and give them patience.

Looking at RLC. Did not seem so special when he broken in at first but now most of us were furious when he got injured in the states. How about Andreas? Many wanted him chucked out after his mistakes under Conte. He was our best defender in the final closely followed by Azpi.

Agree, our youth are coming through surely but surely it seems. Big breakthrough in terms of CHO and RLC coming through this season, and if it wasn't for their untimely injuries, im confident they would have both played int he final

More rumours this morning of Atletico wanting to sign Alonso. 

Think it's all going to depend on whether we can get the transfer ban delayed/overturned. 

If we do, I could see him going. I dare say for around £30m. 

If we can't get around the ban I think he'll stay because we're not going to want a lack of cover, especially being back in the Champions League. 

1 minute ago, ForeverCarefree said:

More rumours this morning of Atletico wanting to sign Alonso. 

Think it's all going to depend on whether we can get the transfer ban delayed/overturned. 

If we do, I could see him going. I dare say for around £30m. 

If we can't get around the ban I think he'll stay because we're not going to want a lack of cover, especially being back in the Champions League. 

Having less perceived "cover" for a year is in my view preferable to being stuck with a bang average left back until 2023.

This may well be the only chance we get to really cash in on Alonso ! We should take that chance imo.

9 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Having less perceived "cover" for a year is in my view preferable to being stuck with a bang average left back until 2023.

This may well be the only chance we get to really cash in on Alonso ! We should take that chance imo.

One injury to Emerson and we'd look short. We're going to be playing 2 games a week for most of the season, we have to look out for the interests of the team first rather than pocketing some loose change for the sake of selling a player. 

I don't want to go back to the likes of Dave or Zappacosta being cover for left back because we lose so much natural width that way. It's bad enough our wingers always cut inside without the fullbacks doing it too. 

3 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

One injury to Emerson and we'd look short. We're going to be playing 2 games a week for most of the season, we have to look out for the interests of the team first rather than pocketing some loose change for the sake of selling a player. 

I don't want to go back to the likes of Dave or Zappacosta being cover for left back because we lose so much natural width that way. It's bad enough our wingers always cut inside without the fullbacks doing it too. 

Let's see what happens with Ola Aina ... he'd be my choice to rotate with Emerson. But even if Torino sign him, we'd still have options ... Azpi on the left (like has was under Mourinho), Dasilva, even Luiz has played at leftback at times in his earlier career at Benfica. And always possible of course that an incoming manager can find a player inside Baba Rahman, but I  might really be clutching at straws on that one ?

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Too many people too busy driving all our players to the airport to put this much forward thought into decisions.

16 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

If we are going to play a back four I'm happy to see him move, although I'm not a critic by any means.

Given his defensive frailties I can't see Simeone wanting him. But stranger things have happened.

Wouldn't be surprised if he improves ten fold defensively under Simeone, look at Savic under him compared to at City.

9 hours ago, Argo said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he improves ten fold defensively under Simeone, look at Savic under him compared to at City.

He's a superb defensive coach. They can play backs to the wall but also a swarming style where they force teams to the touchline and then set upon them. One of the reasons I've always wanted him to be our coach. Kind of a cross between Conte and Jose.

47 minutes ago, tmarmsi said:

Really dont understand this whole "let's cash in on him" are we that strapped for cash? Surely it's more important to have a player than cash especially with loads of games to play next season. Decent enough player and gets goals which we lack.

We don't need the cash but I wouldn't say he is critical anymore either. Emerson is now number 1 in my view. I think we also have Dave to cover as well as Dasilva coming back as well. 

Only issue for me is not his goals but his height on defensive set pieces. Without RLC until Christmas we potentially only have our two CBs and Giroud with height. This is problematic especially when Kepa is not at all dominant in the air.

3 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

We don't need the cash but I wouldn't say he is critical anymore either. Emerson is now number 1 in my view. I think we also have Dave to cover as well as Dasilva coming back as well. 

Only issue for me is not his goals but his height on defensive set pieces. Without RLC until Christmas we potentially only have our two CBs and Giroud with height. This is problematic especially when Kepa is not at all dominant in the air.

I just don't understand why people think these young players of ours are suddently going to be a step up on what we already have. Jay Da Silva isn't good enough right now, I haven't seen anything of him that suggests he is a better option than Alonso. He's a Championship level player, which is a world away from Champions League level. 

I still think the only young player we have right now that is good enough to step up into the first team is Hudson-Odoi, and even he isn't ready to be playing every game for us.

Alsonso just got a 5 year deal on high wages, I doubt he'll want to go anywhere unless its a very special offer,  also he's just won a trophy a season with CFC ? He frustrated at times this past season in this system (sarri 4-3-3); but we have all seen what he is capable of especially the goal threat he can bring occasionally.  If not a starter should be retained for cover & experience imo.

33 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I just don't understand why people think these young players of ours are suddently going to be a step up on what we already have. Jay Da Silva isn't good enough right now, I haven't seen anything of him that suggests he is a better option than Alonso. He's a Championship level player, which is a world away from Champions League level. 

I still think the only young player we have right now that is good enough to step up into the first team is Hudson-Odoi, and even he isn't ready to be playing every game for us.

Personally been wanting a deadwood clear out of the deadwood in both our squad and the loan army. As Spiller suggested he is not putting Da Silva as first choice, he is putting him 3rd behind Emerson and Dave. Likely Da Silva would get league cup games and the odd game elsewhere but that is it. In that role he is more than good enough. Besides we cannot have 3 world class left back, it just will not happen. Emerson is very good, Dave is top class wherever he plays. Alonso is dead wood IF we stick to a back 4. Plus if he wants to go and we get 30mill then good on Marina.

5 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Have to disagree. Putting DaSilva aside for a moment. Reece James and Mount are two more who wouldnt be out of place in our squad at all. Tammy is another. We need to stop underrating our own young players. 

Jay's only downside in my mind is his height. He's great on the ball and a solid defender from what I watched of him this season. Easily good enough to be in the squad if not a starter right now. If this season taught us any lessons its that give young players an opportunity and they might surprise you. 

• 4 months later...

On a general point, it shows you how much performances improve when there's genuine competition.

Dave has improved of late, knowing Reece James is fit. Willian has improved, knowing Callum has regained fitness. Every player in our team knows there's competition, and you have to be on your game.

On 06/06/2019 at 17:01, Scott Harris said:

Look at the state of this post, whoever wrote it should get a smack across the head.........oh :blush2:

:mouthzipped:

2 hours ago, GhostOfDembaBa said:

Alonso's quietly strung some solid performances together, set up a goal or two(?) as well. Well done. Deserves a bit of credit tbf. 

Agreed.  I've been harsh on Alonso, with good reason though, but he has been better this season.  Perhaps he is the type of player now who needs a little competition to get himself in gear - seemed like he got mighty complacent previously.