• 3 months later...

I've got to say Alonso is a remarkable footballer and professional. Yes he's got mistakes in him and his defensive qualities aren't good enough, but we're lucky to have him in the squad right now.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be looking to improve the LB area but he's been a good servant to the club and always gives 100%, even when he's not at his best. Last night (and Villa game) are good examples of how he can knuckle down and do a job.

Edited by Shweaves

Apart from the dive to get him booked by Mahrez he didn't really do much wrong and hardly pushed forward much so he didn't have to run back far. His goal threat alone makes me want the club to keep him

6 minutes ago, Brutos said:

Apart from the dive to get him booked by Mahrez he didn't really do much wrong and hardly pushed forward much so he didn't have to run back far. His goal threat alone makes me want the club to keep him

Did well. City often force fullbacks into very difficult defensive decisions but he didn't get caught out once. 

If he wants to stay i think we will keep him. His goals and added height in the backline are great options to have in the squad.

I like having Alonso and Barkley in the squad. They both offer something a little different than the other players. 

I dont like Barkley against high pressing quality opposition, but Alonso was good yesterday.

32' Willian busted back about 50 yards to track an overlap on that side and then initiated the counter. That was great cover from Willian and a smart move by Frank to switch Pulisic and Willian. 

Azpilicueta seems to save his best for Manchester City. He was a beast back there too.

Great game. 

2 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

If we bring in a new LB, then I don't want to see Alonso sold. We all know about his weaknesses, but he has a lot of strengths too and I think it would be a shame to lose that. If we bring in a new LB, it's Emerson that needs to be sold.

I would keep Alonso over Emerson 100%, Emerson has really let us down this season, far too injury prone and is just bang average. Another sh*t Conte signing. 

1 hour ago, Bluesince66 said:

I agree with others that is has to be Emerson who goes,but personally don't agree alonso had a good game,he is a liability in defense,he doesn't read situation's properly,and usually gets beat.

See what you wanna see i guess. 

• 4 weeks later...

Plenty of blame to go around on that last goal, but after rewatching it just now about 10 times, I still haven’t figured out how Alonso didn’t see that cross coming - there was literally nothing else Robertson could do with the ball at that point. And Alonso just watches it roll right in front of him.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

According to the Mail, Conte is looking to reunite with Alonso.

Might be something in this now we have Chilwell.

Inter are already in discussions over Emerson. 

Can't see us selling Alonso, he's miles ahead of Emerson. Lampard is more likely to play Dave at left back if Chilwell isn't fit rather than Emerson so there really is no point Emerson staying. 

Alsono was often second choice behind Azpi last season and with Chilwell arriving that looks worse for him.

Emerson was alleged to be going to Inter yet that fell through and think they were not prepared to meet our valuation for him yet that was before we bought Chilwell.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Emerson is a far better leftback. Sure, he has his shockers sometimes but he's got the potential to be good and Alonso is just an embarrassment. 

Can't understand why he keeps getting picked and i look forward to the day i never have to see him in our backline again. Complete liability.

Alonso has awful games (like today) but Emerson does nothing, ever. I don't see potential in Emerson. I do agree that he shouldn't have started today. Give Alonso too many starts and he gets too comfortable and plays an awful game. Azpilicueta should have started today.

4 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Alonso has awful games (like today) but Emerson does nothing, ever. I don't see potential in Emerson. I do agree that he shouldn't have started today. Give Alonso too many starts and he gets too comfortable and plays an awful game. Azpilicueta should have started today.

And against Brighton, and against Liverpool. So he's basically been awful every time he's been on the pitch this season. Awful is standard from Alonso really.

Lampard quite rightly threw him under the bus post-match. Called him out on both his mistakes.

Lampard have made mistakes playing him which he can be blamed for. But hopefully that ended today.

Edited by Sindre
9 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Emerson is a far better leftback. Sure, he has his shockers sometimes but he's got the potential to be good and Alonso is just an embarrassment. 

Can't understand why he keeps getting picked and i look forward to the day i never have to see him in our backline again. Complete liability.

With emerson you are banking on potential cause what he has shown so far is nothing. At least with Alonso you know you can get a good performance out of him by playing to his strengths.