I guess i am the first to comment after the game but i thought he had a very good display. His build up play for the goal was strong, first making an upfield pass to Kova, recieves it back while he sprints away from the opponents (yes away) and makes a dangerous cross into the box. 

Defensively he stood his own and made some of his classic "fouled by being not fouled" moves. 

Edit. watched it again, he made a pass with his right foot to Giroud who dropped it for Kovacic. 

Edited by Nevamind

2 hours ago, Nevamind said:

I guess i am the first to comment after the game but i thought he had a very good display. His build up play for the goal was strong, first making an upfield pass to Kova, recieves it back while he sprints away from the opponents (yes away) and makes a dangerous cross into the box. 

Defensively he stood his own and made some of his classic "fouled by being not fouled" moves. 

Edit. watched it again, he made a pass with his right foot to Giroud who dropped it for Kovacic. 

I have to say im not a fan of Alonso, I think he's a liability defensively and is painfully slow. He might hold the wingback position well but he's too slow to exploit the width that his position creates and more often than not just comes back inside with a pass.

To be fair to him he had one of his better games last night but moving forward with this team he's not for me.

Surprised Chiwell is completely out of the picture in the past few games. Like one of the commentator said during the game, Alosno can't beat people in 1 on 1 situation, his crossing is not that great, his best asset is the ability to hit a good shot when cross comes in from the other wing. When you have people like Giroud and Werner to aim at, you need to put good early ball in, or at least capable of beating player once in a while to drag the defensve unit out of formation. We have a better player, just need to give him time to adjust to the new system.

I think he's playing really solid so far under Tuchel. He obviously isn't exploiting the space up front as much as CHO does for example (by design I'd argue) but one must also take into account that he has to play with Werner along on his side so that is in now way an easy feat imho since Werner is in no shape or form meant to play the passing game during build up. In fact they often play asymmetrical and overload the right side so Werner gets some additional free space. I guess his height/physical build plays to his advantage over Chillwell atm as well a bit.

That said I don't think Chillwell fell out with Tuchel at all - he'll come into play when they eventually play 433 or 442 or once he adapted to his new position during training well enough to make it work during match day - which is the correct approach imho. Glad we have two solid options at hand.

Defensively he is not very good, and yesterday there was a moment when an Atléti player (I think it was Correa) got the ball with too much ease from Alonso and Rudiger who both were protecting it to let it go out for a goal kick, and that sums up his defensive limitations, he's not very good defending. On the other hand, as a left wing back he offers an attacking option, he is so random that he can go left wing or centre forward position, he gets into the box very often, and I think that tends to disorganise defences more than what we are getting with Chilwell or even James. But we need an upgrade if Tuchel is going to persist with the wingback formation, he's painfully slow and not going to get any better.

Edited by RMH

Even though I'm not a fan of Rudiger because he has a mistake in him I don't mind him playing for us as long as someone like Silva is beside him to cover for him. He is an ok player. 

Alonso is one player I would replace from our starting 11. At best he is average coming up with a few goals here and probably has better shooting ability than all our strikers at the moment. He is average at everything else. Slow on the ball, slow off the ball, predictable when it comes to passing (passing inside to werner/back to rudiger make up 95% of his passes), cant dribble or take on players 1v1 like CHO on the right hand side which results in most of our attacks coming from that side. He always drifts inwards not utilising the width of the pitch like you expect from a wingback. His crossing ability is also average. 

Edited by Valhalla
20 minutes ago, Nevamind said:

I get his faults but why so negative after a good win. 

I don’t think it’s Negativity. We’ve all seen how poor he can be, there was a period last season when he was costing us week after week. He has the odd decent game in him but we won’t be winning any major trophies with him in the side

53 minutes ago, Osgoodwasgood said:

I don’t think it’s Negativity. We’ve all seen how poor he can be, there was a period last season when he was costing us week after week. He has the odd decent game in him but we won’t be winning any major trophies with him in the side

People keep saying this that he costs us week after week but thats not true. Its just easy to pick him out and point to "see how slow he is", there even was a grazy stat from 1-2season ago where we had an insane points per game with him in the squad and a bad one without him. 

When he is out of form he really can be bad but these are extremes that people often mix up. 

4 minutes ago, Nevamind said:

People keep saying this that he costs us week after week but thats not true. Its just easy to pick him out and point to "see how slow he is", there even was a grazy stat from 1-2season ago where we had an insane points per game with him in the squad and a bad one without him. 

When he is out of form he really can be bad but these are extremes that people often mix up. 

For me he looked very comfortable out there, it's not like Atletico managed to exploit anything there on his side. Maybe because of his experience from Spanish football but I thought him and Kovacic were so comfortable throughout the match.

Just now, ForeverCarefree said:

Sorry to nitpick but despite being Spanish Marcos Alonso has spent his entire senior career playing in England and Italy. 

True story. I thought that he maybe knows those players of Atletico but I'm probably wrong... I think his dad played in Madrid or something like that, not that it matters for his experiences though.

2 hours ago, Nevamind said:

I’m sorry I totally disagree, let us not forget that he’s also Currently playing for a contract. Let us pray it’s not us that offers him one, he’s dreadful

3 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Sorry to nitpick but despite being Spanish Marcos Alonso has spent his entire senior career playing in England and Italy. 

Not quite true, he played once for Madrid first team.........😉

2 hours ago, Osgoodwasgood said:

I’m sorry I totally disagree, let us not forget that he’s also Currently playing for a contract. Let us pray it’s not us that offers him one, he’s dreadful

He's not that bad, not as a wingback anyway. I think besides the Southampton game he's been good.

On 22/02/2021 at 17:15, Wearyourcolours said:

Oh if we had kept Carlo we’d have won at least 3 more leagues in my opinion.

Yet again Roman didn’t realise you needed to keep investing.

What makes you think that? Carlo has 'only' won 4 despite two decades being at one of the top two teams in each league.

9 hours ago, RMH said:

Defensively he is not very good, and yesterday there was a moment when an Atléti player (I think it was Correa) got the ball with too much ease from Alonso and Rudiger who both were protecting it to let it go out for a goal kick, and that sums up his defensive limitations, he's not very good defending. On the other hand, as a left wing back he offers an attacking option, he is so random that he can go left wing or centre forward position, he gets into the box very often, and I think that tends to disorganise defences more than what we are getting with Chilwell or even James. But we need an upgrade if Tuchel is going to persist with the wingback formation, he's painfully slow and not going to get any better.

It was Suarez that made Rudiger and Alonso look really stupid and set up a goal chance. Rudiger poked the ball away from Suarez yet it came off Alonso's foot back into Suarez who dribbled through both to put in a far post cross.

I thought Alonso was generally good defensively yet offensively recall two of his crosses, one found Mount in the box in space. Mount mis-controlled the ball the other to Mount led to Olly's goal.  I don't recall any crosses from the right side that were threatening?

Alonso also had the first shot on target which was too close to the keeper yet on another occasion it might have taken a deflection into the goal.

I think unfortunately Alonso is becoming one of those players where people only see the negatives a bit like previous discussion around Jorginho.

1 minute ago, Strider6003 said:

It was Suarez that made Rudiger and Alonso look really stupid and set up a goal chance. Rudiger poked the ball away from Suarez yet it came off Alonso's foot back into Suarez who dribbled through both to put in a far post cross.

I thought Alonso was generally good defensively yet offensively recall two of his crosses, one found Mount in the box in space. Mount mis-controlled the ball the other to Mount led to Olly's goal.  I don't recall any crosses from the right side that were threatening?

Alonso also had the first shot on target which was too close to the keeper yet on another occasion it might have taken a deflection into the goal.

I think unfortunately Alonso is becoming one of those players where people only see the negatives a bit like previous discussion around Jorginho.

On the contrary, I think that everybody sees that he brings something attacking wise when he’s played as a wingback, but where we can disagree is in whether his offensive skills over weights the defensive limitations. I’m on the fence on this, not totally against him (although I didn’t want to see him playing for us for what he did to the team, not because of his footballing skills) though I think we should upgrade. And Tuchel so far is happy playing him, so fair enough. With Jorginho, people don’t see any skill in the attacking or the defending front (I’m not saying I don’t like him).

What gets lost on Alonso and Jorginho is they both have such a clean first touch, I love how often he handles bad passes and turns them into good situations. He was my MotM, I was the only one, but most of our best build up play went through him, the cross to Mount - that Mount couldn't decide wether to recross or shoot ,and the cross for OG's goal were both nice, and I think comparing him to CHO yesterday shows how efficient Alonso is, while CHO is faster, he's hard to pass to, Alonso makes clean runs with a clean first touch, CHO shows a run and then changes it slightly and thus gets some "bad" balls played to him. Alonso is very decisive. His cross in the 26th minute wasn't far off Giroud either.

4 minutes ago, Wearyourcolours said:

We had the squad and he had the ability, if only we had the owner to have realised that!

Consistency in the league has always been a weakness of his. Only 4 in two decades managing Juve, Milan, Chelsea, PSG, Real and Bayern isn't a great return. To put it into context, Pep has won double the titles in half the time at similar level jobs but his titles are regularly dismissed because they're apparently easy to win.