Marcos Alonso

Scott Harris

9 minutes ago, Argo said:

Consistency in the league has always been a weakness of his. Only 4 in two decades managing Juve, Milan, Chelsea, PSG, Real and Bayern isn't a great return. To put it into context, Pep has won double the titles in half the time at similar level jobs but his titles are regularly dismissed because they're apparently easy to win.

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone’s got one 

10 hours ago, Osgoodwasgood said:

I’m sorry I totally disagree, let us not forget that he’s also Currently playing for a contract. 

Hmm not really. Alonso has played this way every year he is here. 

I like Alonso, he is a good player. Has clear limitation and has clear strength. I prefer Chilwell over Alonso but if werner keep drifting wide, alonso is better than Chillwell in the middle 

11 hours ago, Bob stark said:

Hmm not really. Alonso has played this way every year he is here. 

I like Alonso, he is a good player. Has clear limitation and has clear strength. I prefer Chilwell over Alonso but if werner keep drifting wide, alonso is better than Chillwell in the middle 

But he’s not a good player is he Bob? 
Let’s evaluate.

He’s painfully slow to the point where he will never attempt to go on the outside of a full back unless that full back has his laces tied together.

He’s Defensively naive, often the wrong side of the player he’s marking and often ball watching instead of concentrating on defending.

Those two frailties alone mean that it’s impossible to play him in a flat four, the only reason he’s played as a wingback is that he clearly understands the position and how to play it.

The trouble is, his lack of pace means he’s restricted from the offensive duties of a wing back and he only really gets way defensively because he’s partly covered by the defender behind him.

On the positive side he’s reasonable in the air and can put a decent ball into the area on occasions and can be dangerous from set pieces.

unfortunately, the negatives far outweigh the positives for me.

Chilwell is so much better in my opinion 

Let me throw some thing else in as a consideration.

When the ball is being played out by the CBs, Alonso seems better at keeping the ball or passing it forward than either Chilwell or James. 

The others seem to more frequently just pass it back to the CB.

Not mentioning CHO as too soon to evaluate for me.

Note, I agree in a back four Chilwell is preferred.

21 hours ago, Argo said:

What makes you think that? Carlo has 'only' won 4 despite two decades being at one of the top two teams in each league.

You're right that he has only won 4 league titles but that's in 4 different leagues in which he spent a limited time part from him being in Italy for a longer time period of course.

While in La Liga he didn't win the league title but he won the CL with Real Madrid for the first time in over 10 years which was a huge thing for them and in general...

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

You're right that he has only won 4 league titles but that's in 4 different leagues in which he spent a limited time part from him being in Italy for a longer time period of course.

While in La Liga he didn't win the league title but he won the CL with Real Madrid for the first time in over 10 years which was a huge thing for them and in general...

I think if you're a really top team there is no better manager in the world. I still think we played our best ever football when he was here. 

I'd have him back in a heartbeat. 

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

That's a bad touch from Alonso first and foremost without anyone bullying him. Just unlucky.

And then Rudiger and Alonso have one of their lapsus and get bullied by Suarez, giving a goal chance that other team not thinking about defending would have scored. I’m not against Alonso, as you can see in a previous post, but that video for the “Alonso haters” has its counterpart, as Alonso has two sides to his game. That’s all I wanted to point out.

18 minutes ago, RMH said:

And then Rudiger and Alonso have one of their lapsus and get bullied by Suarez, giving a goal chance that other team not thinking about defending would have scored. I’m not against Alonso, as you can see in a previous post, but that video for the “Alonso haters” has its counterpart, as Alonso has two sides to his game. That’s all I wanted to point out.

Point proven then.

I really don't see why Alonso is getting so much playing time over Chilwell and James who are both much better overall players. He doesn't link up well with who ever is on his side. There are so many opportunities to create width however he is too slow and can't cross or chip passes well. It is painfully obvious how bad he is. He is one of the main reasons why Chelsea is so poor in the final third as he plays too far forward and there is less space for Werner to make runs. 

1 hour ago, TheGreatestGame said:

I really don't see why Alonso is getting so much playing time over Chilwell and James who are both much better overall players. He doesn't link up well with who ever is on his side. There are so many opportunities to create width however he is too slow and can't cross or chip passes well. It is painfully obvious how bad he is. He is one of the main reasons why Chelsea is so poor in the final third as he plays too far forward and there is less space for Werner to make runs. 

Come on leave us with your agenda alone. I will just accept many dont like him regardless of what he does. 

On 25/02/2021 at 23:19, Strider6003 said:

Let me throw some thing else in as a consideration.

When the ball is being played out by the CBs, Alonso seems better at keeping the ball or passing it forward than either Chilwell or James. 

The others seem to more frequently just pass it back to the CB.

Not mentioning CHO as too soon to evaluate for me.

Note, I agree in a back four Chilwell is preferred.

Alonso can hit those right footed long ball that help escape press

On 25/02/2021 at 16:04, Slojo said:

Alonso for hall his faults imo has an amazing first touch and ball control, his passing is also very good. Then you've also got his technique, shooting, etc. 

But his crossing is piss poor, he's slow as f**k, and his defending at times can be comedy. 

I'm in the middle with him. 

Yeah lm on the same boat. At one moment he can look like such a silky player, then he looks like a tractor trying to overtake a Ferrari.

On 26/02/2021 at 00:04, Slojo said:

Alonso for hall his faults imo has an amazing first touch and ball control, his passing is also very good. Then you've also got his technique, shooting, etc. 

But his crossing is piss poor, he's slow as f**k, and his defending at times can be comedy. 

I'm in the middle with him. 

Alonso is a good player not a nailed down starter. If you prefer chilwell that is fine.

2 hours ago, Nevamind said:

Come on leave us with your agenda alone. I will just accept many dont like him regardless of what he does. 

What has Alonso contributed the last few games? You can even hear Tuchel criticizing him a far amount during the games. He is part of the problem in the final 1/3where Chelsea has been rubbish under Tuchel. 

7 minutes ago, TheGreatestGame said:

What has Alonso contributed the last few games? You can even hear Tuchel criticizing him a far amount during the games. He is part of the problem in the final 1/3where Chelsea has been rubbish under Tuchel. 

I don’t know if you can criticise Alonso when it comes to final third, he’s probably our most dangerous threat when we’re attacking. The man knows how to put ball into back of net.

7 minutes ago, TheGreatestGame said:

Like last game he contributed to a goal? Remember...? 

He links up well with midfield and Werner/Giroud. 

Gives us height that helps in defense and link up for long balls. I mean he wins so many headers. 

He runs a lot and tries to have an impact not like Emerson who just is "there" . Doesnt seem that way but he is nearly always in the top 3 in distance covered. 

Only game he was not up to par was Southampton. I dont see how he doesnt contribute to the attack or ball retention like others say or how he is unbalanced to our game. I give you he sometimes looks goofy defending wise but more often than not he recovers or stops somehow the attack. 

15 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I don’t know if you can criticise Alonso when it comes to final third, he’s probably our most dangerous threat when we’re attacking. The man knows how to put ball into back of net.

He has one goal this season. I also don't see how he is Chelsea's most dangerous threat as he is too slow and he can't beat anyone off the dribble. He has a strong shot, however he has difficulty getting it off and putting it on net. He also poor at passing. I see numerous times Werner or CHO going for runs and he doesn't deliver the ball. He often plays deeper than Werner in the box which leaves less room for Werner to make cuts to the net. 

1 minute ago, TheGreatestGame said:

He has one goal this season. I also don't see how he is Chelsea's most dangerous threat as he is too slow and he can't beat anyone off the dribble. He has a strong shot, however he has difficulty getting it off and putting it on net. He also poor at passing. I see numerous times Werner or CHO going for runs and he doesn't deliver the ball. He often plays deeper than Werner in the box which leaves less room for Werner to make cuts to the net. 

You can’t bash him with his goal record this season, he hasn’t played under Frank.