Marcos Alonso

Scott Harris

Just now, Wearyourcolours said:

And the reason for that? Oh yes cos he’s not that good a player and a sulky little kid!

He’ll have 1 good game in 7-8!

I agree I’m not the biggest fan of Alonso but you can’t deny that he really is a fine player as a wing back.

When we play 3 at the back Alonso is my first choice. Back 4, Chilwell is miles ahead.

6 hours ago, TheGreatestGame said:

as he plays too far forward and there is less space for Werner to make runs. 

The reason why he gets the goals is precisely this point. He's not a conventional wingback. 

His finishing and first touch are one of his strongest assets. I don't know who his youth coach was but he shouldn't have turned Alonso into a leftback. 

On 28/02/2021 at 14:16, Deino said:

The reason why he gets the goals is precisely this point. He's not a conventional wingback. 

His finishing and first touch are one of his strongest assets. I don't know who his youth coach was but he shouldn't have turned Alonso into a leftback. 

Who ever tried to turn Alonso in to a full back clearly failed :laugh2:

• 5 weeks later...

Funny game yesterday his freekick contributed to the first goal and he hit the post. Might have been very different if that chance had been converted.

As much as he is poor defensively he did not get sent off or give away possession like Jorginho.

People really want to point fingers at him? While he couldn't prevent the goals at least he contributed to our two. Others had far worse game than him. He is best when there is a plan/system in which he can operate as a wingback and when a red comes along and other players gift possession to the opposition he can't do much, maybe he should do better but it is what is is.

Alonso sums up the current squad for me. Too many squad players who are okay and can come in and do a job, but you don't want to see them starting too often. He's always been better in the final third than he has in our own half, when more often than not he becomes a complete liability. Takes a great free kick and is always a goal threat but Lamps weighed it up and came to the conclusion the bad more often than not, outweighed the good and maybe TT will now come to that same conclusion.

Too many squad players though, to Alonso, add Azpi, Zouma, Rudiger, Jorginho, Tammy, Giroud and even Werner. None good enough to start on regular basis. (Being kind to CHO, Ziyech and Pulicic - jury still out but all need to do more).

12 hours ago, Nibs said:

Alonso sums up the current squad for me. Too many squad players who are okay and can come in and do a job, but you don't want to see them starting too often. He's always been better in the final third than he has in our own half, when more often than not he becomes a complete liability. Takes a great free kick and is always a goal threat but Lamps weighed it up and came to the conclusion the bad more often than not, outweighed the good and maybe TT will now come to that same conclusion.

Too many squad players though, to Alonso, add Azpi, Zouma, Rudiger, Jorginho, Tammy, Giroud and even Werner. None good enough to start on regular basis. (Being kind to CHO, Ziyech and Pulicic - jury still out but all need to do more).

I am not sure the like of Alonso, Giroud, Azpi are our problem. They are supporting player, they are there to do their job and they do it very well. 

The problem with our team more on our star attacker. You don't know what you will get from them. You can say this pretty much with all of them. 

Forget our title winning attacker, just compare them to our attacker last year 

Puli - Giroud - Willian 

You can be quite confident what you get from each player every game. 

This season I am more confident that Werner will miss chances than scoring , Ziyech will look useless than creating, Pulisic constantly losing the ball than doing something. 

4 hours ago, Bob stark said:

I am not sure the like of Alonso, Giroud, Azpi are our problem. They are supporting player, they are there to do their job and they do it very well. 

The problem you have with Alonso is that Tuchel has decided that he's ahead of our £50m summer acquisition. So if you're going to make that decision as manager you better make sure the player is outperforming the big signing. 

Saturday from Alonso was a car crash performance and given he didn't have to leave for international duty it's a prety unforgivable. 

25 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

The problem you have with Alonso is that Tuchel has decided that he's ahead of our £50m summer acquisition. So if you're going to make that decision as manager you better make sure the player is outperforming the big signing. 

Saturday from Alonso was a car crash performance and given he didn't have to leave for international duty it's a prety unforgivable. 

Funny thing is people critizied Lampard for playing the money signings over the right ones. 

Doesn't count for Alonso i guess. It's not like Chillwell put the world on fire when he played as wingback even more so he was on international duty so he probably was not that fresh. 

Lets be honest if Jorghino and Silva had not sabotaged our game we most likely win this match. 

24 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

You make it sound like Tuchel just started picking Alonso over Chilwell on a whim, when actually Chilwell's form had fallen off a cliff, and then Alonso stepped in and put in very good performances to fully justify his selection. There's also the fact that the Alonso suits our formation better right now. Tuchel would not be doing his job if he just kept picking the same players in the same system as Lampard, which honestly I think some people here would have preferred. It's no surprise that Alonso eventually reverted to type, but to make out it was just more random Tuchel 'tinkering' or whatever is really misleading. 

Alonso was bad at the weekend, as were most of the team, but it was a completely understandable play him, especially considering he did not participate in international duty. The benefit of hindsight, eh?

2 minutes ago, Nevamind said:

Doesn't count for Alonso i guess. It's not like Chillwell put the world on fire when he played as wingback 

Which is kind of my point. Tuchel is picking a system that isn't necessarily suited to our summer signings which makes the team selections right now about the short term but there's got to be desire to get the big investments involved. 

So you either play to their stregths or get them coached into playing in the (current) preferred system. 

At the moment I would argue that 3-4-3 doesn't particularly suit any of Chilwell, Ziyech, Pulisic, Werner and Havertz.

2 minutes ago, bluedave said:

Alonso was bad at the weekend, as were most of the team, but it was a completely understandable play him, especially considering he did not participate in international duty. The benefit of hindsight, eh?

I mean, I did say:

"Saturday from Alonso was a car crash performance and given he didn't have to leave for international duty it's a prety unforgivable."

Alonso has no exscuse for his performance Saturday. He looked more engaged with the attacking play than the defensive side. So what I'm saying is if Tuchel is going to pick him ahead of Chilwell (who I think Tuchel has a duty to get coached into being able to play wing-back if that's his preferred system) he can't have him being so inept because for as much as Chilwell's form dipped he hasn't put in any disaster class level performances like Alonso did on Saturday. 

48 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I am not sure playing Alonso over Chilwell is a questionable decision. As LB, Chillwell is far better than Alonso but as WB not so sure, I don't think you can find any wb that offer as much box threat as Alonso.

Against WBA, Alonso was least of my concern. The moment Jorginho made two crazy pass that caused red card for Thiago and we conceded two crazy goals. The games was going to be very2 difficult. Down 10 man, and we need to chase game. It was a nightmare scenario. 

On 06/04/2021 at 05:33, Bob stark said:

The problem with our team more on our star attacker. You don't know what you will get from them. You can say this pretty much with all of them. 

Forget our title winning attacker, just compare them to our attacker last year 

Puli - Giroud - Willian 

You can be quite confident what you get from each player every game. 

This season I am more confident that Werner will miss chances than scoring , Ziyech will look useless than creating, Pulisic constantly losing the ball than doing something. 

But that's kinda my point. They are good squad players but not players who will win you the PL and CL and we have too many of them in our squad. And TT likes to play Azpi and Alonso on a fairly regular basis and then when you add Jorgino & Zouma it can all go horribly wrong like it did against WBA.

4 hours ago, Nibs said:

But that's kinda my point. They are good squad players but not players who will win you the PL and CL and we have too many of them in our squad. And TT likes to play Azpi and Alonso on a fairly regular basis and then when you add Jorgino & Zouma it can all go horribly wrong like it did against WBA.

Idk if the sample size (1 defeat in addition to a red) warrants your concerns.

11 hours ago, Nibs said:

We won pl with azpi and alonso both starting,in fact azpi won pl twice both as starter.  

Our problem is more about puli, Ziyech, Havertz and Werner, so called our biggest gun. Their performance this season is simply not good enough.

Just imagine what happen if we sign Robertson + trent  and then compare it if we sign mane + Salah. 

12 hours ago, Bob stark said:

We won pl with azpi and alonso both starting,in fact azpi won pl twice both as starter.  

Our problem is more about puli, Ziyech, Havertz and Werner, so called our biggest gun. Their performance this season is simply not good enough.

Just imagine what happen if we sign Robertson + trent  and then compare it if we sign mane + Salah. 

Oh I know, it;s the players that are supposedly match winners and the ones we signed to take us to another level who are letting us down the most and have been big disappointments. Not disagreeing with that.

But I still maintain we have too many squad players who aren't good enough to start regularly. Yes, both Azpi and Alonso have won honours with us but that's a while ago now and both are in decline. Great to come in and do a job at times, but don't want to see either starting regularly and that goes for Jorginho, Alonso, Zouma etc..........

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

Has Tuchel done a Lampard on him? Both after West Brom too!

If you mean dropped him after an awful game and kept him out of the team because his replacement is playing better, then yes. I haven't heard anything about a big falling out like what happened with Lampard.

15 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

Has Tuchel done a Lampard on him? Both after West Brom too!

He's not being completely excluded from match day squads (yet), so not quite as bad as with Lampard. 

But I do think Alonso has it in him to put in almost unforgiveable performances. 

I remember West Ham away last season where he just completely gave up on his defensive duties and they just kept breaking away down his side. 

On his day he can be great but personally I hope we put faith in Chilwell.