Marcos Alonso

Scott Harris

1 hour ago, Oli said:

I completely agree with what he's said. The issue is like some have pointed out on here, he hadn't informed his teammates beforehand, so everyone in the stadium could see him standing up whilst the rest were kneeling, and that includes his teammates on the pitch and on the bench. Not only that but everyone knows what taking the knee stands for now. So when they see everyone doing it, whether or not its lost its meaning or not, you still know.

Him standing there pointing at his badge wont be picked up by any cameras nor does it have the desired effect, that these footballers are trying to highlight. Kneeling also shuts up all the people that boo it, and have said they will make sure it gets stopped, so its like a finger up to those people as well. When our players get racially abused after matches, its not on. If you went to a theatre and the actors got abuse, they would walk off, so why should footballers just grin and bear it. Taking the knee or a similar expressive gesture has to continue until these players no longer have to deal with racism or at least until its very rare. 

I  get that taking the knee may in time become diluted.I wonder wether standing in front of a universal banner against racism and other forms of discrimination in the centre circle before a match is the way forward and just say there has been an incident during the match bring the banner out again to reiterate the point.

56 minutes ago, wally said:

Can you please name one country in the world with a very racially mixed population, which  has less racism than this country?

The numbers of people dishing out this online abuse out of a population of some 67 million is absolutely miniscule!  So number is "very rare' to you?

Recorded incidents of hate crimes in the UK are on the rise, including those relating to race. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/hate-crime-england-and-wales-2019-to-2020/hate-crime-england-and-wales-2019-to-2020#introduction 

Racial abuse, mainly caused via social media platforms, is very much a modern day problem for footballers. It's a cause that enough of them feel strongly enough about that the majority of clubs and players have backed the anti-hate protest/gestures prior to matches for the last couple of years. 

It's obviously something that the players want addressed and we shouldn't trivialise the numbers. 

19 minutes ago, charierre said:

I  get that taking the knee may in time become diluted.I wonder wether standing in front of a universal banner against racism and other forms of discrimination in the centre circle before a match is the way forward and just say there has been an incident during the match bring the banner out again to reiterate the point.

Maybe it is just me but rather taking a knee or banner I prefer pl to have a community program teaching kids about racism and for clubs to ban fan who make racial gesture. 

Edited by Bob stark

4 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Recorded incidents of hate crimes in the UK are on the rise, including those relating to race. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/hate-crime-england-and-wales-2019-to-2020/hate-crime-england-and-wales-2019-to-2020#introduction 

Racial abuse, mainly caused via social media platforms, is very much a modern day problem for footballers. It's a cause that enough of them feel strongly enough about that the majority of clubs and players have backed the anti-hate protest/gestures prior to matches for the last couple of years. 

It's obviously something that the players want addressed and we shouldn't trivialise the numbers. 

I'm not trivialising the numbers, just putting the relitively tiny numbers into perspective.

We do not, never have and never will live a perfect world where everyone loves, likes or even just respects one another.,but this country does it as well as any other and a lot better than most.  Sadly, you're always going to get some  people here and there with nothing better to do than spew out hate to all kinds of people for all kinds of different reasons and racism is just one reason.

But do you seriously think for one minute footballers taking a knee is going to stop someone from being a racist? Of course it won't! And how long should this go for?.Until not one black footballer ever receives a racist tweet? 

What I would say is that there would be significantly less online abuse if the players did not align themselves to such a devisive political movement. There was a fraction of this when the players were all behind kick it out.  That is the movement they should have stuck with and promoted more heavily than they did. 

28 minutes ago, charierre said:

I quite like this idea. I do get where Alonso is coming from but it isn't a powerful enough message which is what I tried to suggest in my earlier post. Maybe a big banner being held up by all the players when they line up " say no to racism" would be a good idea. 

22 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Thank you. If anyone is affected by it, especially our players, then it is a problem no matter what. I'm actually shocked at that other persons post but hey ho.

14 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

Maybe it is just me but rather taking a knee or banner I prefer pl to have a community program teaching kids about racism and for clubs to ban fan who make racial gesture. 

Clubs have been banning fans for years now and schools are heavily promoting anti racism too. 

30 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Sorry, I missed the bit about recorded level of hate crimes.

I would never dare trivialise a genuine hate crime, but some of the incidents reported as hate crimes are downright laughable and an insult to anyone who has suffered a genuine hate crime.

These "crimes" can be as trivial as someone taking offence to someone saying something they didn't like. There's even been people have the police call round their house because a person dared to say they didn't think trans women were real women.

It's come to something when someone like Nicki Minaj  becomes a voice of sensible reason.

16 minutes ago, wally said:

We do not, never have and never will live a perfect world where everyone loves, likes or even just respects one another.,but this country does it as well as any other and a lot better than most.  Sadly, you're always going to get some  people here and there with nothing better to do than spew out hate to all kinds of people for all kinds of different reasons and racism is just one reason.

So you don't think that raising awareness to a problem and trying to educate on a subject is a worthwhile goal? 

17 minutes ago, wally said:

But do you seriously think for one minute footballers taking a knee is going to stop someone from being a racist? Of course it won't! And how long should this go for?.Until not one black footballer ever receives a racist tweet? 

So we should never, ever do anything about any sort of crime because there will always be criminals so why bother? 

18 minutes ago, wally said:

What I would say is that there would be significantly less online abuse if the players did not align themselves to such a devisive political movement. 

An anti hate/racism campaign is not a political movement. 

19 minutes ago, wally said:

There was a fraction of this when the players were all behind kick it out.  That is the movement they should have stuck with and promoted more heavily than they did. 

The current campaign is called No Room for Racism which has a similar objective. What is it about that campaign that you object to? 

https://www.premierleague.com/NoRoomForRacism 

1 hour ago, Oli said:

This has got nothing to do with comparing whos more racist than who, it isn't a contest, so I have no idea what youre trying to highlight exactly.

Clearly judging by your reply you think racism isn't an issue in this country, maybe you didn't see what happened after the Euro final, or the fact most of the abuse came from within, or maybe you just dont care.

No, I do not think racism is a major problem in this country.

If it was,  then people would be voting for a political party that has racist policies, as they do in South Africa. Here, the likes of the BNP barely register in elections, while non whites fill some of the most important positions in the cabinet.  We've had the housing minister make an urgent call for quality 3 and 4 bedroom houses to home thousands of Afghans. Furthermore, why are migrants desperate to get out of France and come here if we are so racist?

I would ask the question of why those of you who hate this "racist country" so much continue to live here? 

13 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Sorry, you mean this Nicki Minaj?

Yep, seems like she’s a pretty switched on individual. 

I'm fully jabbed and don't agree with her stance on the vaccines, but that's the point. She thinks people should have the right to voice their opinions, ask questions and disagree without "the mob" jumping on them.

She spoke about her visit to China and how people were scared to speak their mind etc. She sympathised with the people but could do no more than that really. She is now genuinely scared of the way things are going in her own country now and I'm completely with her on that.  

15 minutes ago, wally said:

No, I do not think racism is a major problem in this country.

If it was,  then people would be voting for a political party that has racist policies, as they do in South Africa. Here, the likes of the BNP barely register in elections, while non whites fill some of the most important positions in the cabinet.  We've had the housing minister make an urgent call for quality 3 and 4 bedroom houses to home thousands of Afghans. Furthermore, why are migrants desperate to get out of France and come here if we are so racist?

I would ask the question of why those of you who hate this "racist country" so much continue to live here? 

I'm not going to bother to entertain this conversation. I was certain reading your original post the sort of views you had, and its clearly getting worse. 

and p.s not one person has inferred they hate this country. We are talking about an issue affecting human beings receiving abuse because of the colour of their skin. If you are happy for that to continue because as you put it, other countries are worse, so be it, there can be no reasoning with people of your mindset. 

Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones just spent that entire movie trying to out do each other with who could chew the scenery the most. 

When I was little I loved that movie but now I realise just how terrible it was compared to the Tim Burton movies that proceeded it. 

Yes, I am aware this is a Marcos Alomso thread but this needed to be said. 

4 hours ago, Bob stark said:

Community programs are good, they also teach children from a young age in primary school about racism, discrimination and inclusion. It does though need a gesture by the players, this carries greater power. My own idea of a banner could be driven by the different federations within the game and take away any misconceptions of politics being involved.

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones just spent that entire movie trying to out do each other with who could chew the scenery the most. 

When I was little I loved that movie but now I realise just how terrible it was compared to the Tim Burton movies that proceeded it. 

Yes, I am aware this is a Marcos Alomso thread but this needed to be said. 

Batman forever was a nice movie, it was meant for kids in the first place. Great actors and Jim Carrey was a good Riddler.