Sign in to follow this  
Beerqueen

Amazon Echo

I am a huge lover of technology, but these 'always listening' devices freak me out a little bit, I have to say. 

I don't like the invasion personally, think its massively open for abuse, either via hacking, or from the companies themselves. 

Currently have my own Echo dot. I love it. They only listen when the command is spoken. You also don't have to have it plugged in when not in use. 

They are pretty useful though. Basically a hands free google. 

Google home is much better, well it would be if you could broadcast the bluetooth to other spaeakers, google understands you

MUCH better but they are so behind with the bluetooth thing.

1 hour ago, guddy69 said:

Google home is much better, well it would be if you could broadcast the bluetooth to other spaeakers, google understands you

MUCH better but they are so behind with the bluetooth thing.

Yea, I bet using it for actual google searching is much better than other devices out there. I have had some issues not getting the answers I want from Alexa that I actually had to use my computer. Never had a Google home though, so can't say I know more about one over the other.

On 2/6/2018 at 23:07, Rainyydaze said:

Currently have my own Echo dot. I love it. They only listen when the command is spoken. You also don't have to have it plugged in when not in use. 

They are pretty useful though. Basically a hands free google. 

Surely they must be listening at all times to know when the command is spoken?

8 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Surely they must be listening at all times to know when the command is spoken?

Yea, I guess. It's not like they're recording anything. Personal preference to have it. Like I said, if people are that concerned about it "listening", you can unplug it when you are not actually using it. 

10 hours ago, Rainyydaze said:

Yea, I guess. It's not like they're recording anything. Personal preference to have it. Like I said, if people are that concerned about it "listening", you can unplug it when you are not actually using it. 

As far as you know :wink:

I've got one and i love it tbh. Leave it plugged in all the time. I only really use it for music tbf though.