Tiémoué Bakayoko

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

And what about all the times he wasn't in his position at all and Ozil was free unmarked? What about when he gave the ball away from a very sloppy pass and that lead to the Wilshere goal? 
We need to stop praising him for the most simple things and look at the bigger picture. Yes, we've seen his runs forward they've been quite impressive, against United we saw it, but then he was also very very sloppy and did nothing with them. Also, I saw better from Ramires going forward in his first season, at least Ramires was also a good defensive engine. Like are we really hyping up quality that we already gave away to China because it wasn't needed? It's quite clear we didn't just need a replacement for Matic, we needed an upgrade. Instead, we haven't got either, it's clear as day where the Achilles heel is on this team. 

This was Ramires's goal in his first season, he was about the same age as Bakayoko and we didn't really know where to play him. But we all liked his runs forward, yet I think Ramires was far superior in that aspect. But what's troubling me is that I don't think Bakayoko is even an upgrade on Ramires, a guy who was considered dead wood for this team. 

I'm not saying he hasn't got these deficiencies, he has, but he is also in his first season and is only 22. Conte will make him into a good midfielder and if he doesn't then he'll go. In the meantime I will support him and hope he develops. He's our player.

BTW, I also groan when he makes basic mistakes!

4 hours ago, EmeraldBlue said:

I'm not saying he hasn't got these deficiencies, he has, but he is also in his first season and is only 22. Conte will make him into a good midfielder and if he doesn't then he'll go. In the meantime I will support him and hope he develops. He's our player.

BTW, I also groan when he makes basic mistakes!

I'm not saying don't support him, I just see a lot of people clinging on too much when it's very bad inconsistency, the type of inconsistency they wouldn't let anyone else get away with, particularly players like Willian. 

Okay granted that this is his first season and he's still young but he's really not ready, I keep repeating myself a lot but it's highly frustrating me why this lad is getting so many starts. I can only see us digging ourselves a deeper hole if we don't fix the problems we already have now. Get Luiz back into fitness, play Drinkwater, buy one more player in this window and we might look like a good team again, right now are too hit and miss. 

Half of Arsenals chances could have been prevented if we had a competent player in midfield. 

On 09/01/2018 at 15:52, ashwin said:

Come on, cut him some slack! Morata and Bakayoko are players with great potwntial for the future. I can't believe so many are beginning to question Morata. He is basically a superb footballer with finishing issues. He will come good.

I don't mind people telling others to cut players some slack when it's their first season, but by what merit can you say Bakayoko is a player with great potential? Right now it's looking unlikely that he'll develop into a great player, he isn't showing any good signs of it. 

Morata on the other hand has shown signs, he's absolutely superb on his day and can trouble defenders. Bakayoko has had too many matches where he looks lost and can't perform simple tasks. 

better in a 2 than 3. but still piss poor. 

Ndidi was linked with us last January, he would've been a better signing for less money. 

There's no point him playing im a 3 man midfield because he doesn't know what to do, or where to be, and when he does get on the ball, he gives it away. Even if he played at the base of the 3, you wouldn't trust him positionally. 

The thing that is most worrying is the fact that some people think he potentially might become a decent player. If anything, potentially he's going to get worse, which watching him play right now is scary. 

Cant pass. Can't dribble. Can't shoot. Very poor awareness and position. Can tackle. Literally f**king body checks opponents and gives away fouls. But does love a nice Italian red. 

Edited by Famous CFC

I must agree with Chelsbear, his situational awareness is schoolboy level.   Unbelieveably naïve as to how to play midfield.    Its like me going to graduate school to try to get a PhD in Physics - no matter how much I study, it ain't going to happen.   Reminds me a bit of how Usain Bolt would do if he would put in the starting lineup for ManU, he would show his physical abilities, but beyond that, he would have no idea as to how to play the position at which he was put.  Bakayoko seems to totally not understand the nuances of the game, and its like he has only been playing football for a few weeks.

I don't think I've seen a Chelsea midfielder quite as bad as him that's the problem, even youth players have more tactical awareness when they play, Bakayoko seems to just make it up as he goes along. It's like watching any tom dick or harry put on a Chelsea shirt and having a go of it for Charity, alright I'm clearly exaggerating... 

But anyway would you honestly expect Ampadou to put in performances like this if he got given the same games? I actually very much doubt it. I'm not saying Ampadou wouldn't struggle but I seriously doubt he would play like Bakayoko has today and many other games. Honestly forget Matic, what on earth were we thinking loaning out Loftus Cheek? 

Edited by Slojo

Why are we not playing Luiz at DM?  Great on the ball, offers a threat and has better defensive qualities than Bakayok-ohno
Luiz doesn't have the energy to get up and down. That's the sole reason for playing Bakayoko right now. At least two midfielders in the starting squad must be able to. If it's 343, both CMs must have the energy. If it's 352,that leaves Luiz and Fabregas vying for 1 spot. Most would go with Cesc in that regard.

6 hours ago, Phillip said:

I must agree with Chelsbear, his situational awareness is schoolboy level.   Unbelieveably naïve as to how to play midfield.    Its like me going to graduate school to try to get a PhD in Physics - no matter how much I study, it ain't going to happen.   Reminds me a bit of how Usain Bolt would do if he would put in the starting lineup for ManU, he would show his physical abilities, but beyond that, he would have no idea as to how to play the position at which he was put.  Bakayoko seems to totally not understand the nuances of the game, and its like he has only been playing football for a few weeks.

This is what has struck me since his arrival here. I get the fact that it can take a while for a player to settle in and of course we as supporters should make allowances for that, but come on.

He really does look like someone who has been plucked out of a 3rd rate reality tv talent spotting show to be given his 5 minutes in the spotlight. It's painfull to watch and in a way I feel sorry for him but who on earth at the club sanctioned the purchase and why does Conte persist with him when it's obvious he is just not up to it ?