havelschayes

Tiémoué Bakayoko

2 minutes ago, abramovich said:

Why are people raving about Chalobah, RLC, Ake or Abraham as if they would have made a big difference? You'd think they're tearing the league apart in their respective clubs. They aren't. They're decent young talents that are yet to prove themselves on a big st

age and demonstrate they belong in a top club. That's why they aren't playing for top six clubs but rather compete for a starting spot at teams like Crystal Palace and Swansea.

You could just as easily crush a young player's confidence by throwing him into our first team when he's not ready. A few crap outings, a few Bakayokoesque errors that lead to opponents scoring and the team dropping points and they may never get a chance again at that level, at least at Chelsea.

There's literally not a single player that came through the youth ranks during Abramovich's reign and left the club during that period who I think is good enough at the moment to break into our first eleven and, most importantly, improve it. Whether it's due to poor scouting or some other reason, I don't know but it's a fact. So let's stop with this 'play youth and everything will be fine' malarkey.

That doesn't mean there aren't some good signs on the horizon. Christensen is looking good and Ampadu is certainly very assured and competent for his age. Even if only those two can become part of the club's future, I'd call it a good start.

RLC is better than Drinkwater and is only going to get better.

Chalobah is better than bakayoko and is much more disciplined in defence.

Ake is on par with Cahill/Rudiger defensively and can actually play a pass. .

Abraham will never make it at Chelsea. Having said that, i'd still rather have him on the pitch than false 9.

People are more upset about the money being wasted on sh*te when we have players of equal quality, for free, waiting for game time. 

8 minutes ago, abramovich said:

Why are people raving about Chalobah, RLC, Ake or Abraham as if they would have made a big difference? You'd think they're tearing the league apart in their respective clubs. They aren't. They're decent young talents who are yet to prove themselves on a big stage and demonstrate they belong in a top club. That's why they aren't playing for a top six club but rather compete for a starting spot at teams like Crystal Palace and Swansea.

You could just as easily crush a young player's confidence by throwing him into our first team when he's not ready. A few crap outings, a few Bakayokoesque errors that lead to opponents scoring and the team dropping points and they may never get a chance again at that level, at least at Chelsea.

There's literally not a single player that came through the youth ranks during Abramovich's reign and left the club during that period who I think is good enough at the moment to break into our first eleven and, most importantly, improve it. Whether it's due to poor scouting or some other reason, I don't know, but it's a fact. So let's stop with this 'play youth and everything will be fine' malarkey.

That doesn't mean there aren't some good signs on the horizon. Christensen is looking good and Ampadu is certainly very assured and competent for his age. Even if only those two can become part of the club's future, I'd call it a good start.

I believe people are more saying that why the hell would we spend almost 80 million pounds on two overwhelmingly average to poor players in Bakayoko and Drinkwater when we
had academy products already at the club that could do a better job.

And for me that is the main reason we are in the sh*t at the moment. The club is perfectly happy wasting millions of pounds on complete averages while we refuse to meet asking prices for players that are actually top class.

And then shock horror, you end up with an average squad in the end.

Edited by Sindre

1 minute ago, RIP Mourinho said:

RLC is better than Drinkwater and is only going to get better.

Chalobah is better than bakayoko and is much more disciplined in defence.

Ake is on par with Cahill/Rudiger defensively and can actually play a pass. .

Abraham will never make it at Chelsea. Having said that, i'd still rather have him on the pitch than false 9.

People are more upset about the money being wasted on sh*te when we have players of equal quality, for free, waiting for game time. 

1. RLC is playing a different role and has different qualities to those of Drinkwater. And no, he isn't better at this moment. His performances for Palace were a bit of hit-and-miss, he typically shows a bit of individual talent and then disappears for large periods of the game. Nobody really knows what his position is and I don't think he does. He's not a goalscoring threat and is too lazy to do much of a defensive work. Drinkwater is a limited player and may not have Ruben's natural talent but he's doing far more with what he's got.

2. A pregnant tortoise is a better midfielder than Bakayoko at the moment. That doesn't make Chalobah good enough to start for Chelsea.

3. I think right now Cahill is quite poor and shouldn't be playing. That doesn't change what he's accomplished for the club. Again, a limited player but he hasn't won everything there's to play for in his six years at CFC by being rubbish. Ake has a long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same breath.

4. It's too early to judge Abraham. He's still young and potential is there. I think next couple of years will be critical for him. But of course, he's nowhere near ready to play at Chelsea yet.

I understand people being upset at money wasted on not so good players, but that doesn't mean I put my faith in young players that were sold or loaned out. I believe we can, and should aim higher.

3 minutes ago, abramovich said:

but that doesn't mean I put my faith in young players that were sold or loaned out. I believe we can, and should aim higher.

Wouldn't you rather put faith in those youngsters than spend 200£ million on players that range from dross - average (for a top club) over the last two and a half years?
Because that is what we have spent on the likes of Zappacosta, DD, Bakayoko, Papy, Miazga, Pato, Falcao, Hector, Baba Rahman and so on since summer of 2015.

Everyone agrees we should aim higher but we clearly aren't anyways.

6 minutes ago, abramovich said:

1. RLC is playing a different role and has different qualities to those of Drinkwater. And no, he isn't better at this moment. His performances for Palace were a bit of hit-and-miss, he typically shows a bit of individual talent and then disappears for large periods of the game. Nobody really knows what his position is and I don't think he does. He's not a goalscoring threat and is too lazy to do much of a defensive work. Drinkwater is a limited player and may not have Ruben's natural talent but he's doing far more with what he's got.

2. A pregnant tortoise is a better midfielder than Bakayoko at the moment. That doesn't make Chalobah good enough to start for Chelsea.

3. I think right now Cahill is quite poor and shouldn't be playing. That doesn't change what he's accomplished for the club. Again, a limited player but he hasn't won everything there's to play for in his six years at CFC by being rubbish. Ake has a long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same breath.

4. It's too early to judge Abraham. He's still young and potential is there. I think next couple of years will be critical for him. But of course, he's nowhere near ready to play at Chelsea yet.

I understand people being upset at money wasted on not so good players, but that doesn't mean I put my faith in young players that were sold or loaned out. I believe we can, and should aim higher.

1. Ruben is perfect for the box to box role we have when using the 352. Drinkwater has offered next to nothing this season. RLC on the other hand is getting MOTM performances on the international stage. 

2. If Baka is starting then Chalobah is certainly good enough for that role. If we ain't willing to buy truly world class players, why buy sh*te that aren't better than what we already have. 

3. Past achievements mean absolutely nothing when you're not playing well. Terry won everything but we still moved him on when he wasn't good enough anymore. Ake can offer more than Cahill can.

4. He's a poacher. If Bats gets written off for that reason, Tammy has little chance. 

No one is expecting these youth players to be staring every week. We want them to be the squad filler instead of Drinkwater, Barkley etc. and spend £80m on one truly fantastic player instead of two sh*te players for £40m each. 

1 hour ago, abramovich said:

Why are people raving about Chalobah, RLC, Ake or Abraham as if they would have made a big difference? You'd think they're tearing the league apart in their respective clubs. They aren't. They're decent young talents who are yet to prove themselves on a big stage and demonstrate they belong in a top club. That's why they aren't playing for a top six club but rather compete for a starting spot at teams like Crystal Palace and Swansea.

There's literally not a single player that came through the youth ranks during Abramovich's reign and left the club during that period who I think is good enough at the moment to break into our first eleven and, most importantly, improve it. Whether it's due to poor scouting or some other reason, I don't know, but it's a fact. So let's stop with this 'play youth and everything will be fine' malarkey.

Ake was thrown in against Spurs in the FA Cup semi final and played well, it was good to see a left footed player who is comfortable on the ball play on the left side of a back 3.

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

1. Ruben is perfect for the box to box role we have when using the 352. Drinkwater has offered next to nothing this season. RLC on the other hand is getting MOTM performances on the international stage. 

2. If Baka is starting then Chalobah is certainly good enough for that role. If we ain't willing to buy truly world class players, why buy sh*te that aren't better than what we already have. 

3. Past achievements mean absolutely nothing when you're not playing well. Terry won everything but we still moved him on when he wasn't good enough anymore. Ake can offer more than Cahill can.

4. He's a poacher. If Bats gets written off for that reason, Tammy has little chance. 

No one is expecting these youth players to be staring every week. We want them to be the squad filler instead of Drinkwater, Barkley etc. and spend £80m on one truly fantastic player instead of two sh*te players for £40m each. 

1. MOTM in an international friendly means f**k all. RLC showed absolutely nothing so far to suggest he can be relied on to play in a two man midfield. I've been watching him at Palace on a number of occasions and he was used further up the pitch, at times on a flank but not as a box-to-box, which tells me that those seeing him in training know where his strenghths lie and central midfield it isn't. Like I said, he's too lazy when it comes to tracking back opposition and isn't too fond of defensive work. I also have a feeling he's got stamina problems, since he tends to fade for long periods of time.

2. That's not the point. I'm sure, for example, that Joe Allen is a better midfielder than Bakayoko at the moment. Does it mean we should bring in Joe Allen? My point is, we should be aiming to sign the top tier players if we want to stay competitive. In that sense, there isn't much difference between Chalobah and Drinkwater, they are both a tier below of what's required,  but unlike Chalobah, Danny was a key player in a title winning side. I believe, if it wasn't for his bad luck with injuries this season and the fact that he missed the preseason, he'd have done much better, certainly better than Bakayoko.

3. I'm not saying Cahill should stay because of his past accomplishments, in fact, I think he is quite likely to be considered a surplus to requirements in the summer, and it's probably the right decision for both parties because he has been struggling far too long to suggest it's just a dip in form. But again, replacing him with someone like Ake isn't good enough for a club with high ambitions. If Ake was THAT GOOD, he'd be playing in a better side than Bournemouth.

4. Being a poacher doesn't mean you don't belong in a top club. Van Nistelrooy and Inzaghi played that role quite well. The problem with Michy is that he's limited in many other facets of the game. 

I'll wait for Barkley and Drinkwater to get properly fit and will judge them after a run of games before I decide whether they're good enough to be a part of the squad. One thing I agree on is that I too would love for us to get top class players even if they cost a fortune, but you'd still need a deep squad and those two may still come good in that respect.

Edited by abramovich

1 hour ago, Sindre said:

Wouldn't you rather put faith in those youngsters than spend 200£ million on players that range from dross - average (for a top club) over the last two and a half years?
Because that is what we have spent on the likes of Zappacosta, DD, Bakayoko, Papy, Miazga, Pato, Falcao, Hector, Baba Rahman and so on since summer of 2015.

Everyone agrees we should aim higher but we clearly aren't anyways.

How about neither? 

I'm not happy about spending money on average players and I hate the fact that we shop in a bargain bin and come up with Zappacostas and Bakayokos instead of Sandros and Pogbas.

But that doesn't mean I want Chalobah, RLC or Ake to take up a spot in the squad,  for some sentimental reason or because it'll save us a few quid.

We should be targeting better players in the transfer market and the only CFC youngsters that should be playing for the first team are the ones so outstanding that they're going to be snapped by another top club if we don't keep them.

47 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Ake was thrown in against Spurs in the FA Cup semi final and played well, it was good to see a left footed player who is comfortable on the ball play on the left side of a back 3.

17-year old Josh McEachran looked world class against Marceille back in 2010.

Currently employed at Brentford FC.

I'm not writing him off, but he's just been so underwhelming, his lapses in concentration and poor judgement are really costing us, and his touch is so poor, whether it's a confidence thing or not I don't know. He needs a LOT of coaching, defensively, to be an asset to our team. He has the athleticism and powerful running to be a top player, but it's his mental attributes that I worry about. He's young though, we may yet see improvement, but as of this moment he should not be starting games for us until he gets his head right. 

This is all and well an endorsement from a true legend, but Bakayoko has nowhere near enough quality to even be a decent midfielder in this league, or for that matter anywhere else. Not only does he lack talent, but he doesnt seem to be the sharpest tool in the box either. If he was half the player Makalele was we'd all be holding out that he'd come good. 

11 minutes ago, abramovich said:

17-year old Josh McEachran looked world class against Marceille back in 2010.

Currently employed at Brentford FC.

Just abit different, Ake is 22 and has gone out on loan 3 times to improve his game. Just after we sold him he made his debut for the international team. That's why we got good money for him, the potential is there and I wouldn't be suprised to see him playing for a bigger team in the next few years.

Ake was a player who could play in 3 different positions.

8 minutes ago, Famous CFC said:

This is all and well an endorsement from a true legend, but Bakayoko has nowhere near enough quality to even be a decent midfielder in this league, or for that matter anywhere else. Not only does he lack talent, but he doesnt seem to be the sharpest tool in the box either. If he was half the player Makalele was we'd all be holding out that he'd come good. 

Half the player of Makalele? Makalele's baby toe would be twice the player of Baka, but in fairness, he's the best defensive mid of all time.

1 minute ago, Ernie_blue said:

Just abit different, Ake is 22 and has gone out on loan 3 times to improve his game. Just after we sold him he made his debut for the international team. That's why we got good money for him, the potential is there and I wouldn't be suprised to see him playing for a bigger team in the next few years.

If, and when Ake improves and develops his game to the point that he deserves a place in a team like Chelsea, I'd be more than happy for us to go back for him.

5 minutes ago, RMCM said:

Half the player of Makalele? Makalele's baby toe would be twice the player of Baka, but in fairness, he's the best defensive mid of all time.

I was just trying to be nice, might boost his confidence if he reads he's half the player Makalele was. It would be a hell of a debate who'd be regarded as the best CDM. Of course, as you say, Makalele right up there. Absolute gem for us. 

4 minutes ago, abramovich said:

If, and when Ake improves and develops his game to the point that he deserves a place in a team like Chelsea, I'd be more than happy for us to go back for him.

With hindsight Ake would have been great for the squad this year. Chelsea have lacked a LWB, Cahill has been out of form and Chelsea's weakest position has been CM, he can play all 3 positions. Chelsea could have saved money keeping Ake and his a player who would only improve under the right manager.

The best for Abraham and RLC was to go out on loan, I'm hoping Van Ginkel gets a chance next season who is on fire at PSV and club captain.

He looks like f**kin bambi can’t pass cant dribble can’t do anything related to football bumbling around looking like a rabbit caught in a cars headlights. Who thought he was worth £40,000,000 look up on the tube and there’s a couple of vids which flatter to deceive.

1. MOTM in an international friendly means f**k all. RLC showed absolutely nothing so far to suggest he can be relied on to play in a two man midfield. I've been watching him at Palace on a number of occasions and he was used further up the pitch, at times on a flank but not as a box-to-box, which tells me that those seeing him in training know where his strenghths lie and central midfield it isn't. Like I said, he's too lazy when it comes to tracking back opposition and isn't too fond of defensive work. I also have a feeling he's got stamina problems, since he tends to fade for long periods of time.

2. That's not the point. I'm sure, for example, that Joe Allen is a better midfielder than Bakayoko at the moment. Does it mean we should bring in Joe Allen? My point is, we should be aiming to sign the top tier players if we want to stay competitive. In that sense, there isn't much difference between Chalobah and Drinkwater, they are both a tier below of what's required,  but unlike Chalobah, Danny was a key player in a title winning side. I believe, if it wasn't for his bad luck with injuries this season and the fact that he missed the preseason, he'd have done much better, certainly better than Bakayoko.

3. I'm not saying Cahill should stay because of his past accomplishments, in fact, I think he is quite likely to be considered a surplus to requirements in the summer, and it's probably the right decision for both parties because he has been struggling far too long to suggest it's just a dip in form. But again, replacing him with someone like Ake isn't good enough for a club with high ambitions. If Ake was THAT GOOD, he'd be playing in a better side than Bournemouth.

4. Being a poacher doesn't mean you don't belong in a top club. Van Nistelrooy and Inzaghi played that role quite well. The problem with Michy is that he's limited in many other facets of the game. 

I'll wait for Barkley and Drinkwater to get properly fit and will judge them after a run of games before I decide whether they're good enough to be a part of the squad. One thing I agree on is that I too would love for us to get top class players even if they cost a fortune, but you'd still need a deep squad and those two may still come good in that respect.

1) I said box to box in a three man mid. Pogba is sh*te in a two man mid, play him in a three man mid and he'll be deadly. Same as Lamps. Same as RLC.

2) You're going off on a tangent. Joe Allen would cost money. Chalobah was sat there for absolutely free. No where have a said he should be our starting midfielder. I even said we should be signing a world class player for the price of Baka and Drinkwater and using Chalobah as the squad filler to fill in when needed. I don't see what you're missing about this point? It ain't that hard to grasp.

3) He will be playing in a better side than Bournemouth in the future i imagine. KdB had to take a step down to get minutes, now look at him. But once again you have missed the point. These are the players we need to be using as squad fillers as that is all Cahill should be. Sign a world class starting 11 player if possible. Not waste £35m on a backup player when we have people in the ranks that are already better than them for free. 

4) As is Tammy. Also you might want to comment that on the Michy thread. I've seen the phrase 'a poacher isn't good enough in the modern game' 100's of times in there. Michy could link up much better than Tammy can. 

We should be saving our funds for the world class players though, not the sh*te overpriced squad fillers that would struggle to get into our U23's. 

Spot on there.

The fundamental outlier is that we haven't upgraded on Matic. We didn't need to replace Matic, we needed an upgrade, he and Gary Cahill were the weak links in the team last season. Bringing in RLC would have been better than buying Bakayoko, but would it have been an upgrade on Matic? I don't think so. That's a big responsibility on him, as talented as RLC is I haven't seen enough of his defensive side to know that he's capable of being a central midfielder here in a two-man midfield. 

We should have gone in the market for a proven player and spent the funds, even if they're 27-29. We signed Bakayoko instead and that's turned out to be horrible. The thing is if you look at the earlier posts on this thread many people weren't convinced on Bakayoko, I remember watching him last season and being underwhelmed by his performances. So why the board who thoroughly scouted him thought he was an upgrade on Matic I have no idea. 

I'm not mad at Bakayoko, I'm sure the lad is doing his best, but whoever is responsible for scouting him and bringing him in needs sacking or a drastic change of position. 

After 4-5 games this season, I said to a mate, I can’t see a player there. Sadly looks like I’m right, the bit that is really concerning is that we’re now 30 + games into the season & Conte is still holding out for a player to emerge!

5 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Spot on there.

The fundamental outlier is that we haven't upgraded on Matic. We didn't need to replace Matic, we needed an upgrade, he and Gary Cahill were the weak links in the team last season. Bringing in RLC would have been better than buying Bakayoko, but would it have been an upgrade on Matic? I don't think so. That's a big responsibility on him, as talented as RLC is I haven't seen enough of his defensive side to know that he's capable of being a central midfielder here in a two-man midfield. 

We should have gone in the market for a proven player and spent the funds, even if they're 27-29. We signed Bakayoko instead and that's turned out to be horrible. The thing is if you look at the earlier posts on this thread many people weren't convinced on Bakayoko, I remember watching him last season and being underwhelmed by his performances. So why the board who thoroughly scouted him thought he was an upgrade on Matic I have no idea. 

I'm not mad at Bakayoko, I'm sure the lad is doing his best, but whoever is responsible for scouting him and bringing him in needs sacking or a drastic change of position. 

No one is saying RLC should have been the player in the starting 11 to replace Matic. Look at it like this:

Would you rather have 

A) RLC on the bench and Vidal* on the pitch and have spent £75m

B) Bakayoko on the bench and Drinkwater on the pitch and have spent £75m

These youngsters we have are good enough to be our second string players and play 25 games a season when needed. Not just 2 cup games over the course of a year but proper cover. 

*Replace Vidal with your preferred choice of world class CM in that price range. 

1 minute ago, RIP Mourinho said:

1) I said box to box in a three man mid. Pogba is sh*te in a two man mid, play him in a three man mid and he'll be deadly. Same as Lamps. Same as RLC.

2) You're going off on a tangent. Joe Allen would cost money. Chalobah was sat there for absolutely free. No where have a said he should be our starting midfielder. I even said we should be signing a world class player for the price of Baka and Drinkwater and using Chalobah as the squad filler to fill in when needed. I don't see what you're missing about this point? It ain't that hard to grasp.

3) He will be playing in a better side than Bournemouth in the future i imagine. KdB had to take a step down to get minutes, now look at him. But once again you have missed the point. These are the players we need to be using as squad fillers as that is all Cahill should be. Sign a world class starting 11 player if possible. Not waste £35m on a backup player when we have people in the ranks that are already better than them for free. 

4) As is Tammy. Also you might want to comment that on the Michy thread. I've seen the phrase 'a poacher isn't good enough in the modern game' 100's of times in there. Michy could link up much better than Tammy can. 

We should be saving our funds for the world class players though, not the sh*te overpriced squad fillers that would struggle to get into our U23's. 

1. Once again, how do you know that? What do you base that on? On half a season at Palace where he wasn't playing box-to-box? And why is he suddenly going to be deadly playing in the middle when he couldn't hit a cow's arse playing further up for months, scoring once in 17 matches? You simply projecting your fantasies and have nothing factual to back them up with.

2. Chalobah didn't want to be a filler, that's why he left. He only had a year left on a contract and refused to extend because he wanted to play regularly, and this season was especially important because of the World Cup.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/29/nathaniel-chalobah-had-leave-chelsea-watford/

3. What you imagine, doesn't concern me. I deal with reality and at the moment Ake's right where he's supposed to be based on how good he is now.

4. I don't compare Michy to Tammy. Neither is good enough to play for CFC as of now, but that doesn't mean it cannot change in the future.

51 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

And when Ake played at the end of last season after we won the league he was poor, made plenty of mistakes and couldn't cope with the opposition, I believe it was Watford actually.  

Ake has always had talent, but he's never proven himself to be a top top player. A team like Arsenal & Barcelona would have given him more chances to develop, but that's at a greater cost. He's no doubt a talented player but is he top 6 material at the moment? I don't think so. He certainly might have potential but that'll take time and years of experience. Christensen has been given his chance at 21 and he's proven to be fantastic, that's the difference between players like Ake & Christensen, Christensen is already a top 6 level player, could get into every side bar Cities in the Premier League. Ake on the other hand still has quite a way to go and he might never get there. 

3 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

No one is saying RLC should have been the player in the starting 11 to replace Matic. Look at it like this:

Would you rather have 

A) RLC on the bench and Vidal* on the pitch and have spent £75m

B) Bakayoko on the bench and Drinkwater on the pitch and have spent £75m

These youngsters we have are good enough to be our second string players and play 25 games a season when needed. Not just 2 cup games over the course of a year but proper cover. 

*Replace Vidal with your preferred choice of world class CM in that price range. 

Definitely A) 

However, youngsters are not reliable, you preferably need the experience to be reliable so you need someone to come in and still do a decent job. It's a lot of pressure on a youngster to cover an injured player, DD might still be a good signing for a cover player. However, I still think we overpaid for him. RLC still needs to prove himself, the issue was is that we didn't send him out on loan a lot earlier.