That Brighton v Chelsea game years ago > train back incident clapham junction

ddrblue
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

The division two league  fixture that might have been the 1st away game.

heck of a lot of chaos on the pitch after the game .

i was in a train carriage back to London ,the old type carriages where you could pull the windows down on the doors and hang your body 

out of the window.

some Chelsea chap was doing the above as train pulled into clapham junction I recall ,when the poor Chelsea fan must have been

hanging out fat too much as you heard a loud thud and he fell back into the carriage.

i was stood not too far away and recall seeing his body and blood laid out .train was stopped at clapham junction station as ambulance came and took him away.

the whole carriage then went quite and one look was enough .

got back home that night and put the news on expecting to see the worst ,but nothing came up and toady I know no better.anybody know how things turned out 

p,ease.

dont seem to have much luck on trains with Chelsea as I was sat at the window that the Leeds fans petrol bombed at Wakefield westgatd station.

got kicked to fcuk after the grimsby v Chelsea promotion game on cleggy station as I got on a Doncaster bound train by loads of local grimsby lads.

some Leeds twats tried to throw us off a London kingsX bound train at retford once before a CFC v Leeds game.

the train back after the CFC v boro game was torrid for us .

some of younlit must have come a cropper on whatever train.

carisle utd v Chelsea and I was on Leeds station waiting for connecting train to carisle ,when I got smacked up by a couple of Chelsea lads 

who thought I was a Leeds fcuker .dont know what hurt more the kicking or the fact they thought I was Leeds.

two chelsea chaps were all sorry as i boarded the same carisle bound train as them,they even gave me their copy of the NF paper 

that they had and got us a few ales in carisle.

Was on the train near the incident. Happened earlier in the journey, some one pulled the emergency cord but apparently driver communicated with relevant people and was told to stop at Clapham junction. They thought he was dead at first as the opening on his head was so severe and big. I believe he stayed in hospital for some time but eventually had his life support machine turned off. Long time ago now, I was 16 at the time. His girlfriend or girl with him was hysterical as would be expected. Was a sad end to what had been a great day. I can't remember his name but R I P.

3 minutes ago, snotgang said:

ddrblue  .... safety in numbers  ..... i remember that geezer laid out on clapham platform  .. it was shocking .

You are right with the safety in numbers punt train load of boro was safe from just me as were the 

40 to 50 Leeds lot on that London kingX bound train.

saying that thou the train that was petrol bombed by 3 Leeds lads at Wakefield wetsgate was rammed packed 

with Chelsea.it was that full lads were up in the luggage racks and I was sat on table against the window.

that could have been a really bad situation I guess .everyone started to laugh when some Chelsea lad shouted out 

' facking typical Leeds can't fight with fists and have to use petrol bombs'

It is strange as i was on both the Brighton train and the one that got petrol bombed at Wakefield and i also never found out,but always wondered  about the poor fella who stuck his head out the window so thanks  Richard P for your update as above and a belated  RIP  to the fella

I do seem to recall that one of the Leeds petrol bombers committed suicide after the trail or something ... i may be wrong but ...

memorable days in so many ways  ...

I was on the train British Rail did a deal something along the lines of three pay the full fare and a child goes for a pound. One of my mates looked baby faced so he went for a pound I was 17 at the time. I do remember the massive delay and someone saying what happened but to be honest I thought it was a wind up. Now 34 years later reading it was true has chilled me a little a real tragedy.

• 1 month later...

F1905 the aftermath of the 3 Leeds chaps that petrol bombed the train you was on at Wakefield west gate.

after they lobbed their arsenal at the train they fcuked quite sharpish and did not hang about.

they ended up in a back steer Wakefield pub having a pint,when they was overheard by the landlord as the three 

of them did not understand 'loose lips skin ships' .

bascially the landlord overheard them spouting what they had just done to the Chelsea train.he phoned police and by

time of end of their court appearance all 3 were sent down to slop out.

one of the poor fcukers hung himself whilst in Preston prison.

Cheers DDRBLUE ,appreciate your update, no lover of dirty Leeds but funnily enough my family on my mums side all come from Tingley ,just outside Wakefield and all March together !! Been enjoyable over the last 40 years ,being a blue ! 

Was knobing a bird from that neck of woods about 30 years back ,and she would drag us into 

pub on dewsbury road .think it was called Scarborough arms or something.then we would hit Wakefield and roof top gardens.

allways had a good pub to pub round wakey with the bird.best pub was the one just outside Wakefield station .it might 

have been called the station or the castle ,but Sunday's were great and the amount of free bar food that was put out was unreal.

thats quite normall back then for pubs in Yorkshire to keep customers happy with bar snacks