Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott Harris

Confederations Cup 2017

Well, if this is how VAR is going to be used then it's not going to work. Chile scored a legitimate goal in my opinion and it was ruled offside because of VAR. It should be like Cricket rules, the decision is only overturned in Cricket if they can be certain that the Umpire has made a mistake. How can anybody be 100% certain that the linesman has got that decision wrong ?

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

Well, if this is how VAR is going to be used then it's not going to work. Chile scored a legitimate goal in my opinion and it was ruled offside because of VAR. It should be like Cricket rules, the decision is only overturned in Cricket if they can be certain that the Umpire has made a mistake. How can anybody be 100% certain that the linesman has got that decision wrong ?

I'm not impressed with it either. Apart from still wrong decisions, it delays the game, the celebrations feel fake.

Impressive form shown today by Chile. Good thing Alexis managed to play part of the second half as it was getting more and more difficult to overcome Cameroon's defense.

Looking forward to Thursday's match between Germany and Chile.

12 hours ago, candonga said:

Impressive form shown today by Chile. Good thing Alexis managed to play part of the second half as it was getting more and more difficult to overcome Cameroon's defense.

Looking forward to Thursday's match between Germany and Chile.

I thought Cameroon gave Chile a good game of it in the 2nd half.

43 minutes ago, Osgood is Good said:

I thought Cameroon gave Chile a good game of it in the 2nd half.

That's right. I think the team got a bit tired of attacking and not scoring any goals. Besides, the disallowed goal must have played with the boys morale. Anyways, I think it's safe to say that Chile dominated most of the game and was able to score 2 late goals thanks to Vidal and Alexis.

If this Australian goalkeeper is going to be Brighton's number 1 next season then they are going straight back down to the Championship. He comes out for everything and always makes a mess of things. He must be a nightmare to play with.

Yeah it was a pretty good game. Got to give credit to the Germans, as this was far from the normal first eleven.

Agreed. Probably some future world champions there.

I still think Chile will win this tournament though.

Sure. Looks like the most solid team so far. Definitely need to score more goals anyways, as the physical challenges get stronger.

Looking forward to an Alexis vs Cristiano final.

18 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

If this Australian goalkeeper is going to be Brighton's number 1 next season then they are going straight back down to the Championship. He comes out for everything and always makes a mess of things. He must be a nightmare to play with.

He can do much better.

Didn't you see him in the Europa League?

Yep. Easy.

I think Russia could have done so much more. Mexico playing very unstable football. Looks like it's going to be a Germany - Portugal Mexico - Chile semifinals.

15 hours ago, candonga said:

Looks like it's going to be a Germany - Portugal Mexico - Chile semifinals.

And a Portugal - Chile final.

Well, early signs of VAR are not good. Even with the VAR, the ref made a right mess of a situation in the Germany v Cameroon game. First he booked the wrong player, then he went to VAR, he then changed his yellow card to a red which was still for the wrong player, then he went back to VAR and finally sent off the correct player and i'm not even sure if it was straight red care challenge. This all took 3 minutes, 3 minutes which clearly wasn't added on to stoppage time at the end of the game. We still ended up with only 4 minutes stoppage time overall. So 3 minutes of VAR, 4 goals and celebrations, a bunch of subs........how has the ref worked out that the game should only have had 4 minutes of added time? It should have been about 8.

Oh my god. The Chile player was clearly taken out, Chile should have a penalty, the ref doesn't even bother using the VAR........this is exactly why it was bought in for goodness sake :face_palm:

Even with VAR, the refs are still f**king up. If they are still going to be cocking up with the VAR in place, then why bother with it at all ? This tournament was supposed to be the biggest test of VAR so far.....well, this trial has quite clearly failed.

Ronaldo's arrogance cost's Portugal again. He only takes a pen in a shoot out when it's the winning penalty. He should be the first person to be taking a penalty in a shoot out. He did the same at another major tournament and Portugal went out then too. Brilliant player, but it's always got to be about him.