Barrettinator

Antonio Rudiger

3 hours ago, coco said:

And Rudiger wass terrible today, but i hope he can sharpen up quickly.

If you put Beckenbaer, Bobby Moore or Franco Baresi next to Luiz they would look crap. One man can't do two mens job.

41 minutes ago, just said:

If you put Beckenbaer, Bobby Moore or Franco Baresi next to Luiz they would look crap. One man can't do two mens job.

Agreed. Anyone asked to play next to Luiz in a two man defence is likely to look a bit average (unless your name is John Terry).  That is especially true when you play behind a non-existent midfield press and keep giving the ball away.

4 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Agreed. Anyone asked to play next to Luiz in a two man defence is likely to look a bit average (unless your name is John Terry).  That is especially true when you play behind a non-existent midfield press and keep giving the ball away.

It makes no difference what is happening in front of, behind or to the side with Luiz. He plays 90% of the time in a vacuum blissfully unaware of what is going on around him. His total focus is on the ball. Not who has crept 5 yards behind him. It is like he is hypnotized by the little white round thing. He defends like he's 10.

I am not that surprised he is still here because no other top side would want him, but I am stunned that it looks like he might be a regular starter for Sarri. It isn't going to end well if he plays in a flat back four.

58 minutes ago, just said:

15 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Gary Cahill better than any and all of those lads he won the champions league alongside Luiz. ;)

Lol

Seriously David luiz is not a viable long term option there. Sarri does want to sign the young lad from juve and we appear to have failed him there.

I think Luiz's ability with the ball will be the key for him to be the starter. Christensen and Rudiger will switch beside him. Not worried the least. Rudiger could easily slot into Leftback IMO. 

4 minutes ago, evissy said:

I think Luiz's ability with the ball will be the key for him to be the starter. Christensen and Rudiger will switch beside him. Not worried the least. Rudiger could easily slot into Leftback IMO. 

10 minutes ago, just said:

It makes no difference what is happening in front of, behind or to the side with Luiz. He plays 90% of the time in a vacuum blissfully unaware of what is going on around him. His total focus is on the ball. Not who has crept 5 yards behind him. It is like he is hypnotized by the little white round thing. He defends like he's 10.

I am not that surprised he is still here because no other top side would want him, but I am stunned that it looks like he might be a regular starter for Sarri. It isn't going to end well if he plays in a flat back four.

Don't worry too much. Never takes managers long to cotton on to the fact that Luiz is all tip and no iceberg. 

I do feel sorry for he and Rudiger. Today was the worst case scenario for a defender against any team. Midfield and forwards giving the ball away consistently and making no effort to win it back.

1 hour ago, just said:

One of them is dead and one is his 70s, so I’m not really surprised to be honest. 

Love this guy, but would maybe prefer him as a right back with ‘Dave’ switching over to the left. Alonso is too slow for my liking & doesn’t suit a flat back 4! (And I haven’t seen enough of Emerson). 

However, We’d probably sign a top class CB in January. 

Anyway, only my opinion but -

Rudi..... top player!!! 

Rudiger is our best CB atm followed by Christensen. Though Christensen didnfall off towards the end of the season but at the beginning he was amazing

Really, REALLY like the aggression and fight he brings to the team, and him being a seriously quality player just seals the deal. Hoping he becomes a mainstay of the side for many years to come. Also poses a good threat on set peices too.

In my opinion had one bad game against Roma away, but mostly excellent very strong, dominant in the air and has a lot of pace for a center back. Think he and Luiz could compliment each other, with obviously Cahill and Christensen there to jump in.

Lots of compliments being handed out for Rudi (rightly so!) and if he continues to be played at CB....

Who would you choose to partner him?

Luiz, Ampadu, Christensen or Cahill?! 

Just now, Chelsea J said:

Lots of compliments being handed out for Rudi (rightly so!) and if he continues to be played at CB....

Who would you choose to partner him?

Luiz, Ampadu, Christensen or Cahill?! 

Christensen. 

However, i think Luiz will partner him for most of the season as Sarri seems to be a fan. 

And he’s still only, what, 25?  Has to be one of the best signings we’ve ever made, considering the quality of the player and the price we paid for him.  Man, Roma really missed out on some Euros between Rüdi and Salah...

Edited by mwblue10

We had an awful Summer last year in terms of signings but Rudiger was an absolute steal. Think he'll take it up a notch this season under Sarri, his strength, passing and speed are perfect for his tactics