2 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Jose doesn't chase trash defenders. He's quite astute in that area.  

From a quality perspective there is no way he ranks below Christensen, who can rarely win a header against a decent forward. Can only think that we are saying he has the most resale value in the market so we are happy to sell. 

Ben Haim, Boulahrouz?

It's unbelievable how much some players can be tolerated and how less others. Rudiger is treated like a trash after 2 very good seasons and one bad right after nasty  injury  and Christensen is still a regular starter after very good 6 months and terrible 3 years and a half. No injuries, different managers, different styles, absolutely zero excuses for him. Meanwhile the same excuses with the injuries are apparently to be valid for the likes of CHO, Loftus-Cheek even Barkley at the beginning. 

Is it too much to judge the players by same standards? I would agree with either to blame them for their sh*tty performance despite the injuries or with the 'not guilty' due to the injuries. But mixing it like that based on the player and whether you like it or not... that's low.

Edited by Droopy
1 minute ago, jack_super_class said:

Im pretty sure he wanted both. Mourinho always claims the good signings and the failed ones were never his. I agree with you, i liked Alex too.

That's true. I think I read that in a book somewhere about the 2007 signings. A big part of the reason he left. He wanted Ben Haim as cover in January 2007 when we had injuries but we wouldn't pay the 2m to Bolton. Then we signed him on a free when Jose wanted a proper replacement for Gallas.

Alex for me was a great servant. Then had a good career at Milan and PSG too. He'd be in our starting eleven at the moment.

1 minute ago, Spiller86 said:

That's true. I think I read that in a book somewhere about the 2007 signings. A big part of the reason he left. He wanted Ben Haim as cover in January 2007 when we had injuries but we wouldn't pay the 2m to Bolton. Then we signed him on a free when Jose wanted a proper replacement for Gallas.

Alex for me was a great servant. Then had a good career at Milan and PSG too. He'd be in our starting eleven at the moment.

I remember Boulahrouz was touted a the ideal replacement for Gallas because he was equally happy at CB and FB, like Gallas. He had one very good game - marking Ronaldinho - but was otherwise awful. TBH was always awful, but I don't think he played much. (He was just as unsuccessful as his fellow Israeli we got from Liverpool, Benayoun).

I do remember José having a moan one night after a midweek game complaining he was being prevented from bringing in players, so that could well have been TBH.

Just checked. TBH and Boulahrouz both played an unlucky 13 games for us, Benayoun 14.

3 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

I remember Boulahrouz was touted a the ideal replacement for Gallas because he was equally happy at CB and FB, like Gallas. He had one very good game - marking Ronaldinho - but was otherwise awful. TBH was always awful, but I don't think he played much. (He was just as unsuccessful as his fellow Israeli we got from Liverpool, Benayoun).

I do remember José having a moan one night after a midweek game complaining he was being prevented from bringing in players, so that could well have been TBH.

Just checked. TBH and Boulahrouz both played an unlucky 13 games for us, Benayoun 14.

Not a book but found an article from Jose's favourite scribe discussing it all:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/sep/23/newsstory.chelsea1

2 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Not a book but found an article from Jose's favourite scribe discussing it all:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/sep/23/newsstory.chelsea1

I remember back then the Observer writing a retraction after Castles wrote a hatchet job on JT:

The following statement was printed in the Observer's For the record column, Sunday October 21 2007

In this article we did not intend to adopt any allegation that John Terry was a 'turncoat' or 'disloyal' or that he had played any intentional part in the departure of Jose Mourinho from Chelsea Football Club. We accept his assurance that he did not. We also accept that our original headline, 'Turncoat' Terry, might have caused confusion and apologise if any contrary impression was given.

In the years since it is clear that Mourinho WAS feeding Castles stories.

1 hour ago, Droopy said:

It's unbelievable how much some players can be tolerated and how less others. Rudiger is treated like a trash after 2 very good seasons and one bad right after nasty  injury  and Christensen is still a regular starter after very good 6 months and terrible 3 years and a half. No injuries, different managers, different styles, absolutely zero excuses for him. Meanwhile the same excuses with the injuries are apparently to be valid for the likes of CHO, Loftus-Cheek even Barkley at the beginning. 

Is it too much to judge the players by same standards? I would agree with either to blame them for their sh*tty performance despite the injuries or with the 'not guilty' due to the injuries. But mixing it like that based on the player and whether you like it or not... that's low.

I don’t have anything against Rudiger.. but I think why he is being singled out lately is

1) the position he plays where every error leads to a goal or a dangerous situation.. and Rudiger has been making quite a few basic ones.. while we expected him to be good with the ball on his feet but he hasn’t been able to show that.. I think that is excusable.. but putting balls into corners under no pressure.. being caught out of position making rash challenges.. I don’t think there is a single aspect where he has showed up..

2)the amount of chances he got to put it right. I don’t think frank has against Rudiger but he bought him in the moment he was fit and played him right right up till the end of the season.. unfortunately Rudiger has been pretty poor.. in contrast CHO and RLC have barely featured.

3) I actually agree there isn’t much to choose between the two and neither would be my first choice when all are fit.

55 minutes ago, evissy said:

Rudiger going to Tottenham on loan... Think about it. We send him there and he performs and solidifies their defense and they finish above us... 

That could be the nail in Frank's coffin should it happen, the GOT of football.

If this gets us a better player to balance the midfield I'm all for it though. 

On 29/09/2020 at 13:28, Droopy said:

You've got a point, but such is life .. I am reminded of the famous quote "an alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you do .. "  . Sometimes your face fits, and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes people like you and sometimes they don't. It seems it is Rudiger's turn to be "out of favour".