Barrettinator

Antonio Rudiger

12 hours ago, lchk said:

If Rudiger is indeed Conte's choice, I offer no objection whatsoever.  Just that his performances at Roma hasn't been exactly top notch from what I have seen and recall. 

By the way, do post more often.  Your posts are almost always a good read.

I don't watch Roma play, all I know is they came second last year in Serie A and Rudiger was always selected when available, and this after coming back from injury.

I've seen it said many times in this thread he's not really an upgrade on Cahill, which may or may not be true the way things stand, I couldn't comment. It's all just opinions anyway and as I've said, I don't really watch Roma play.

What I do know is Cahill was 2 years older when he signed for us, he had the same amount of club games under his belt (around 200) but those had been largely at a lower level, with Burnley, Villa, Sheffield Utd and Bolton. He had been released at Villa because Martin O'Neill didn't rate him. He had already played for England by the time we'd signed him and we got him for a cut-price deal because he only had 6 months remaining on his contract. Having said that, we didn't have to compete with any other big clubs for his signature and we bought him mainly through necessity rather than design. He came in the January transfer window if I remember rightly.

Now, Cahill has been a good signing for us, we definitely got his best years, he's won the lot and he's got more than 50 caps for England. He may not be a Terry or Ferdinand but he's a good player and he's been an asset for us, although I'm not arguing that there are better out there.

Looking at everything you have to say Rudiger's ceiling is far higher, so those comparing him unfavourably with Cahill need to consider we're buying him at a younger age than we bought Cahill and he has far more pedigree than Cahill did when we bought him. He has about 20 caps for Germany, which is no mean feat, we're buying him off a big club, and he has CL experience. This augurs well for the future if you ask me and makes this a sensible signing even though I acknowledge football isn't an exact science.

Whichever position Conte plans on playing Rudiger he obviously thinks he will strengthen us, and given his track record and the fact he knows the Italian league inside out, he's in a good position to judge. Personally I think Rudiger will play as a CB rather than a WB although obviously he provides cover in the WB positions. Conte knows the way he wants to play and if he thinks Rudiger fits the bill then like you I think everybody should be happy. He may not be the name everybody wanted, he may not have been top of Conte's wish list, we don't know, but we do know we're getting a pretty good player who will undoubtedly get better and who will in all likelihood make us harder to score against.

If he comes I think the club have done well to secure his services. Sometimes you have to be decisive and you have to act fast. That's what the club have done in this case.

5 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

I don't watch Roma play, all I know is they came second last year in Serie A and Rudiger was always selected when available, and this after coming back from injury.

I've seen it said many times in this thread he's not really an upgrade on Cahill, which may or may not be true the way things stand, I couldn't comment. It's all just opinions anyway and as I've said, I don't really watch Roma play.

What I do know is Cahill was 2 years older when he signed for us, he had the same amount of club games under his belt (around 200) but those had been largely at a lower level, with Burnley, Villa, Sheffield Utd and Bolton. He had been released at Villa because Martin O'Neill didn't rate him. He had already played for England by the time we'd signed him and we got him for a cut-price deal because he only had 6 months remaining on his contract. Having said that, we didn't have to compete with any other big clubs for his signature and we bought him mainly through necessity rather than design. He came in the January transfer window if I remember rightly.

Now, Cahill has been a good signing for us, we definitely got his best years, he's won the lot and he's got more than 50 caps for England. He may not be a Terry or Ferdinand but he's a good player and he's been an asset for us, although I'm not arguing that there are better out there.

Looking at everything you have to say Rudiger's ceiling is far higher, so those comparing him unfavourably with Cahill need to consider we're buying him at a younger age than we bought Cahill and he has far more pedigree than Cahill did when we bought him. He has about 20 caps for Germany, which is no mean feat, we're buying him off a big club, and he has CL experience. This augurs well for the future if you ask me and makes this a sensible signing even though I acknowledge football isn't an exact science.

Whichever position Conte plans on playing Rudiger he obviously thinks he will strengthen us, and given his track record and the fact he knows the Italian league inside out, he's in a good position to judge. Personally I think Rudiger will play as a CB rather than a WB although obviously he provides cover in the WB positions. Conte knows the way he wants to play and if he thinks Rudiger fits the bill then like you I think everybody should be happy. He may not be the name everybody wanted, he may not have been top of Conte's wish list, we don't know, but we do know we're getting a pretty good player who will undoubtedly get better and who will in all likelihood make us harder to score against.

If he comes I think the club have done well to secure his services. Sometimes you have to be decisive and you have to act fast. That's what the club have done in this case.

It's a shame this signing was delayed by an ACL injury but we got Luiz out of it so ws're even stronger at the back now possibly

23 minutes ago, Charles Ryder said:

Reports coming out of Italy suggesting it's an initial 33 million, potentially rising to 38 million with add-ons. Sensible.

Solid, versatile player, my only concern was coming back from injury, and frankly, I forgot all about him during this pat season.

Feels like the news are saying something is going to happen today or tomorrow or next Monday.

Some guy said a huge breakthrough was expected in Sandro talks yesterday and we've heard f*ck all.

28 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Feels like the news are saying something is going to happen today or tomorrow or next Monday.

Some guy said a huge breakthrough was expected in Sandro talks yesterday and we've heard f*ck all.

It's because they are guessing. Eventually they will get it right and then people forget all of the other times they get it wrong. If you keep making up the same story every few days, you are going to get one right eventually.

Edited by Scott Harris

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 23:07, Imran_CFC said:

Some serious under estimation of Rudiger going on in this thread.

He looks pretty good to me. Young, athletic, smart. tackles well, passes well, scores. Who does he replace? Well, I reckon he could even play in front of the back three. It's all a lottery in the end but he looks a good bet. A good buy!

38 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

It's because they are guessing. Eventually they will get it right and then people forget all of the other times they get it wrong. If you keep making up the same story every few days, you are going to get one right eventually.

Throw enough sh*t at a wall.....

2 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

And eventually the neighbours complain to the landlord? 

Not sure what that's got to do with anything. 

Depends where you live, in Essex that's known as building "an extension".

Edited by dkw

I think we are going to be having a combination of Azpilicueta - Rudiger - Luiz at the centre back positions. 

Rudiger is pretty solid, with some good sense of positional play, and he is going to be better than just a mere back up option. 

I will like to see Zouma go on loan, he needs a club where the expectations will not be as high as Chelsea's, getting games week in week out. He will soon be back to his top form and Chelsea will know what to make of that by next summer. 

That leaves Cahill and Christensen on the bench. I believe they will get a decent amount of games too, I will give priority to Christensen however. 

That by any stretch of imagination means Chelsea have the best centre back combination in the premier league. (I know we fans always want more though) 

Conflicting reports this evening about him...Daily Mirror says he's in London for a medical while Sky say that he's not and that the clubs still haven't agreed a fee...more worrying is that Sky also say that he wants more time to think about this move with Roma...Sky are saying that these reports are their Italian desk...believe what you will...?

Edited by doctorblue

45 minutes ago, doctorblue said:

Conflicting reports this evening about him...Daily Mirror says he's in London for a medical while Sky say that he's not and that the clubs still haven't agreed a fee...more worrying is that Sky also say that he wants more time to think about this move with Roma...Sky are saying that these reports are from their Italian desk...believe what you will...?

I think Conte sees him as an improvement over Cahill. He can shield the ball and have cajones to pass the ball to Courtois or Luiz. We saw last term how we hurt in that dept. Hoofing the ball up the field where we have absolutely no one to win a header apart from maybe Costa or Alonso. We need to keep the ball on the floor (10 years ago this was not the case).

Chelsea and Roma have agreed a fee for Rudiger a fee rising to £34m...the medical was supposed to have happened today in US so hopefully we'll have a confirmed deal today or tomorrow...