We officially have an incompetent board

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I haven't been on here in a while but after tonight and what I'm certain is coming I feel the need to vent about the Board. 

There's a clear trend that has occurred at this club during the Abramovich era. It happened with Ancelotti, Mourinho (second time in partic) and now it's happening with Conte - Win the League, then instead of trying to build on that by acquiring the best players the Board rest on their laurels and waste money on average squad fillers to appease the manager. As a result, the pre-existing players get complacent, things go stale the following season, and after some bad results the Club lurches into crisis once again. Ultimately the manager is sacked, someone else comes in, and the process begins once again.   

Why can't they ever learn? Can they really not spot this trend? This culture of short-termism is baffling, and I haven't even got onto the issue of the Academy. Perhaps Roman Abramovich prefers to run all of his operations in this way. To his credit Sir Alex Ferguson would always look to make a big signing or two after winning the title, and as a result he was able to build a dynasty and win 13 of them all in all. 

I'm sure what I'm saying isn't news to anyone but I really worry about the future of the club. We could quite easily miss out on the top 4 this season, which in the context of Courtois and Hazard's respective contracts could be a disaster. 

Edited by Celery1989

Personally as good as tibo is I am not worried about him leaving as I think we can find a decent keeper to replace him and to be fair to him is not specifically ambition he wants to leave for is to be closer to his kids so fair enough.

Eden now that one will be near impossible but I get it. He deserves better.

4 hours ago, Celery1989 said:

I haven't been on here in a while but after tonight and what I'm certain is coming I feel the need to vent about the Board. 

There's a clear trend that has occurred at this club during the Abramovich era. It happened with Ancelotti, Mourinho (second time in partic) and now it's happening with Conte - Win the League, then instead of trying to build on that by acquiring the best players the Board rest on their laurels and waste money on average squad fillers to appease the manager. As a result, the pre-existing players get complacent, things go stale the following season, and after some bad results the Club lurches into crisis once again. Ultimately the manager is sacked, someone else comes in, and the process begins once again.   

Why can't they ever learn? Can they really not spot this trend? This culture of short-termism is baffling, and I haven't even got onto the issue of the Academy. Perhaps Roman Abramovich prefers to run all of his operations in this way. To his credit Sir Alex Ferguson would always look to make a big signing or two after winning the title, and as a result he was able to build a dynasty and win 13 of them all in all. 

I'm sure what I'm saying isn't news to anyone but I really worry about the future of the club. We could quite easily miss out on the top 4 this season, which in the context of Courtois and Hazard's respective contracts could be a disaster. 

And when you mention this on here or on social media while it's going on, certain fans accuse you of being spoilt and ungrateful (as you can tell, I'm still highly irritated by those accusations). There's a certain section of the fanbase that need a kick up the arse as well. This isn't 1983. You don't have to settle for mediocrity when our ceiling is clearly much, much higher these days. 

18 hours ago, Barrettinator said:

And when you mention this on here or on social media while it's going on, certain fans accuse you of being spoilt and ungrateful (as you can tell, I'm still highly irritated by those accusations). There's a certain section of the fanbase that need a kick up the arse as well. This isn't 1983. You don't have to settle for mediocrity when our ceiling is clearly much, much higher these days. 

Great point. There seems to be a 'Happy Go Lucky' mentality amongst many within the older generation ie. those that were there when were sh*t. In fairness I can understand this, they would never have dreamed of seeing anything approaching the success that Roman Abramovich has brought to to Chelsea. They've seen us win the lot and anything on top is a bonus. At the same time though, Abramovich/The Board's management style is preventing us from competing consistently at the top level and as fans we have to be critical of this. I can appreciate that, in the supposed age of FFP, we don't have the same level of resources as Man United and Man City. But we can certainly compete if our money is spent more efficiently through a more considered, coherent long-term strategy. This would actually allow a manager to implement his philosophy of Football and then develop the first team squad over a sustained period of time without the perpetual fear of being sacked if there is a downturn in results. 

Finally - For the record, I've been a Chelsea fan since the mid 90's when I was a small child growing up in SW6. I am truly grateful for everything Roman Abramovich has brought to Chelsea and I hope no one thinks otherwise. But at the same time I am genuinely worried about the long term future of this club, particularly with the new stadium move on the horizon, and feel that the way in which it is managed could bring us into severe trouble. 

Edited by Celery1989

23 hours ago, Celery1989 said:

Great post agree 100%. Jamie Carragher spoke about this last night in his post match summation. As some posters have pointed out the issue isn't the manager it is the culture of the club and that leads directly from the board to Roman.