Danny Drinkwater

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I doubt we'll get more than £20-25M for Drinkwater. He hasn't being playing for a long period  + and to be fair it's not as if his performances has been amazing. But if we manage to close Golovin for £22M, as Sky Italy are reporting, I'll happily settle for £20M for Drinkwater.

16 minutes ago, Zeta said:

I imagine he'll either go back to Leicester or maybe go to someone like West Ham or Southampton.

West Ham are rumoured to be interested in him, I would imagine that's where he'll end up. 

3 minutes ago, Hanzen said:

I doubt we'll get more than £20-25M for Drinkwater. He hasn't being playing for a long period  + and to be fair it's not as if his performances has been amazing. But if we manage to close Golovin for £22M, as Sky Italy are reporting, I'll happily settle for £20M for Drinkwater.

English, homegrown... Adds to a players value. We overpaid for Drinkwater but I don't doubt the club would be able to recoup most of what they spent, he's still going to be pretty sought after by the majority of mid table clubs. 

I've read that the Golovin fee is going to be in the region of £27m, which still seems like a good deal for a player that was being chased by some big teams. 

38 minutes ago, the special one said:

I'd be surprised if we get anywhere near £30m for him. Our best bet imho is probably to use him in a cash+player deal.

I wouldn't actually mind if he's with us next season, if Sarri plays with a deep playmaker he could add some depth to that position.

We're not going to use him in a player + cash deal because the clubs that will be interested won't have any players that we want. Player plus cash deals are extremely rare in the Premier League as well. 

I think the club have already made their mind up about him in truth... The impression I get is that we want to sell Drinkwater and try to give RLC and Barkley decent playing time next season. 

I could see us moving back to a 3 man midfield which might allow decent playing time (especially because we're in the Europa League) for all of Barkley, RLC, Bakayoko, Golovin (if he signs). 

4 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

I would love to know who at the club thought it would be a good idea to spend £30M on this guy.

Made sense at the time though didn't it? Won the title at Leicester, with Kante, who had already switched to us? Club probably thought they would make another dynamite partnership. Alas...wasn't given much of a chance 

• 4 weeks later...

Linked with a move to Crystal Palace today. 

Says a lot that the clubs that have been rumoured to show an interest have been Palace, West Ham, Newcastle. 

Was never likely to establish himself in the 1st team and was too expensive for a squad player. 

16 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I’d keep him just for homegrown quota. He probably won’t play much anyway.

RLC's return from loan and Barkley being in the squad from the start of the year mean we don't need to hold onto him for the sole reason of his homegrown status. 

That's why the club are bringing Rob Green in on a free as 3rd choice keeper, avoids the need for an expensive dead weight like Drinkwater to stick around just because of the passport he holds. 

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 18:57, Chelsbear said:

The same people who thought spending more on Bakayoko!

We don't half know how to waste money, seems to ruin all the good work we do of selling for decent value.

Just another inept buy from our dear board....... 

To be fair to him he did a good job as a squad player for the first half of the season, it was in January/February when Conte started playing him vs the top sides his lack of quality became evident.

2 hours ago, evissy said:

Still have absolutely no idea why we bought him. 

Genuinely think the board were pissed at Conte due to his moaning about transfers and decide to buy Drinkwater as a decent backup. I don't think he's a terrible option by any means, he was just injured majority of the time. 

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

Got a feeling he was injury prone last season he only played in 12 matches.

Or Conte didn't like/trust him, relying instead on the dreadful Bakayoko. I doubt Drinkwater would have done any worse than Bakayoko, but Conte hardly gave him a chance

On 29/06/2018 at 12:37, jack_super_class said:

I would love to know who at the club thought it would be a good idea to spend £30M on this guy.

Especially considering  he was injured. Buying an injured Danny Drinkwater for £30M while letting Chalobah go for £9M was the only move that was headscratching at the time last year. We should have been able to convince Chalobah that he'd get enough playing time last season without spending 30+ on a squad player.

Especially considering  he was injured. Buying an injured Danny Drinkwater for £30M while letting Chalobah go for £9M was the only move that was headscratching at the time last year. We should have been able to convince Chalobah that he'd get enough playing time last season without spending 30+ on a squad player.

Don't get me started! Getting rid of Nate burns me to this day, not sure if he'd ever turn into a world class player but every time I saw him for us he impressed me and always looked to give it 100 percent :(

46 minutes ago, LengmanJedi said:

Don't get me started! Getting rid of Nate burns me to this day, not sure if he'd ever turn into a world class player but every time I saw him for us he impressed me and always looked to give it 100 percent :(

At the very least, they learned their lesson... pretty sure there are buy-back clauses in place for Ake, Traore and Chalobah. I didn't particularly want to see Ake and Traore leave, but we got really good value for each of them, but for £9M, I thought it would have been worth letting Chalobah walk as he ran out his contract. Then we go off and start the season without enough CM? I don't think anyone wondered why Conte was pissed. 

38 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Talk about a loan for him. Lmao why loan him and keep baka? Either sell one of them or loan baka and keep Danny.

Chelsea and their f*cking loans.

It was pointless loaning Torres out, now it looks like we’re doing the same again with Drinkwater. I guess what we are hoping for is that he has a stellar season so we can sell him for more.