5 hours ago, IliyaKrostin said:

We had Chalobah and RLC with us, now we're preparing to bid 30m for a player on their position. Both of them are proving themselves, especially Chalobah from the last season. 

Real Madrid playing Asensio, Vasquez.

Monaco playing Mbappe, Lemar.

PSG playing Rabiot, Kimpembe.

United playing Rashford.

Liverpool playing Joe Gomez, Alexander-Arnold.

Spurs playing Kane, Alli, Dier.

Only we have to lose our best prospects, I hate it!

Conviently missed out Christensen. 

Not very excited about this deal. If he's going to be the 4th choice CM, I would have liked us to be a little more adventurous in our choices.

But hope I'm wrong and he turns out to be the second coming of Frank Lampard

Couldn't we have just kept RLC or Chabolah? I mean why spend over 30 million on something we already had i.e backup for the central midfield and who were at ages where they were improving. I'd be all for it if it were a younger player who could improve in the coming years but Drinkwater imo has had his wonder season and it's been pretty average since that and before it too. 

It's underwhelming in a good few aspects for me and I'd be stunned if it doesn't turn out to be another Steve Sidwell transfer who is sold or loaned in a season or two. 

Just my thoughts on it.

5 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Very decent addition. He's purely for the depth and he ain't a bad player, I think he'll surprise everyone.

I agree think he will do a decent job under Conte, if we can get them to sell. Be even more interesting if the links to his two team mates prove true as well. Right foxes reunion then lol.

17 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

Couldn't we have just kept RLC or Chabolah? I mean why spend over 30 million on something we already had i.e backup for the central midfield and who were at ages where they were improving. I'd be all for it if it were a younger player who could improve in the coming years but Drinkwater imo has had his wonder season and it's been pretty average since that and before it too. 

It's underwhelming in a good few aspects for me and I'd be stunned if it doesn't turn out to be another Steve Sidwell transfer who is sold or loaned in a season or two. 

Just my thoughts on it.

No because Chalobah turned us down  knowing if he left he would get an england cap (can’t believe people keep thinking we shipped Chalobah). RLC needed to have a season with consistent game time if he was ever going to progress, he’s had too many seasons on the bench.

Drinkwater is a ready made rotation midfielder who has PL and CL experience, and has played with Kante - I imagine Kante has recommended him.

If you can think of a better player on the market who we can get for 30mil and would be happy to play second fiddle to our first team midfielders then I am all ears.

Just now, benjsross said:

No because Chalobah turned us down  knowing if he left he would get an england cap (can’t believe people keep thinking we shipped Chalobah). RLC needed to have a season with consistent game time if he was ever going to progress, he’s had too many seasons on the bench.

Drinkwater is a ready made rotation midfielder who has PL and CL experience, and has played with Kante - I imagine Kante has recommended him.

If you can think of a better player on the market who we can get for 30mil and would be happy to play second fiddle to our first team midfielders then I am all ears.

Erm that's why I said its my opinion.... 

Im not a scout nor do I spend my days sat on championship manager so of course I'm not going to have a list of names and prices. Don't be ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, Chelsbear said:

Just my thoughts on it.

I think he'll fit in quite well with the players we have and the younger 2 returning next season. Baker and RLC will be at make or break time and if 1 of them sticks here Drinkwater won't be one injury away from starting. It's a good comparison to Sidwell. I wouldn't consider it a failure if he is moved on next season because we have a wealth of CMs though. 

Neither of RLC, Baker or Chalo were ready to take on the role he's filling,  each for different reasons. (Chalo has the quality but it seems he knows he needs to start every week, our 4th choice won't) 

The board would not sanction a 35-40 million pound move for Drinkwater if he wasn't considered to be in a position to fight for a first team spot.  He certainly isn't bought as a 4th choice midfielder.  And that is where I have a big issue about as there are plenty of other midfielders in Europe who are BETTER and CHEAPER.  The board could have consulted  with Conte and he could have leveraged his network in Serie A and sign Luca Cigarini as an experienced option or Danielle Baselli for someone who has potential and is reaching his peak in a year or two.  Both could be had for a similar fee to Drinkwater or even lower.  

Drinkwater is certainly not Conte's choice.  I believe the only reasons Drinkwater is pursued is due to the fact that he played with Kante at Leicester and he's English.  Note that he wasn't even called up for the England squad which says a lot about his quality and Chalobah got in ahead of him.  

Worst signing of the summer for the club and an expensive one to boot.  He'll be sold before long.    

5 hours ago, lchk said:

Drinkwater is certainly not Conte's choice.  I believe the only reasons Drinkwater is pursued is due to the fact that he played with Kante at Leicester and he's English.  Note that he wasn't even called up for the England squad which says a lot about his quality and Chalobah got in ahead of him.  

Worst signing of the summer for the club and an expensive one to boot.  He'll be sold before long.    

You think this is a board signing? Really? Doesnt fit the profile of what they look for AT ALL. He is however exactly the type of player Conte likes. Smart, hard worker, decent on the ball and familier with the league. Cant see how we are still after Drinkwater with the price being quoted if Conte didnt want him. If it was up to the board, we would sign a 20 something undervalued player from France who could be sold for a profit if it didnt work out

6 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

If we do sign him I think people will be surprised by how much he'll play.

I suspect Conte is looking to play with a three man midfield, like we did against Spurs, a lot more often.

A midfield 3 with any of Ox, Bakayoko, Fab, Kante, Ox and Drinkwater has pace, power, technical prowess and can be very versatile 

7 hours ago, Xfaxtor said:

You think this is a board signing? Really? Doesnt fit the profile of what they look for AT ALL. He is however exactly the type of player Conte likes. Smart, hard worker, decent on the ball and familier with the league. Cant see how we are still after Drinkwater with the price being quoted if Conte didnt want him. If it was up to the board, we would sign a 20 something undervalued player from France who could be sold for a profit if it didnt work out

Yes.  I don't imagine Conte going to the Board and asking for Drinkwater to be signed when he has a host of Serie A potential buys of which he can tap from his Italian network.  And Conte doesn't make any final decisions on transfers - he's the head coach after all.  More likely Conte asked for an experience midfielder to replace Matic/Chalobah and may even have suggested a few names from Serie A but the Board thought otherwise and the English factor is surely a major factor.

13 minutes ago, lchk said:

Yes.  I don't imagine Conte going to the Board and asking for Drinkwater to be signed when he has a host of Serie A potential buys of which he can tap from his Italian network.  And Conte doesn't make any final decisions on transfers - he's the head coach after all.  More likely Conte asked for an experience midfielder to replace Matic/Chalobah and may even have suggested a few names from Serie A but the Board thought otherwise and the English factor is surely a major factor.

So you think the board, who have been trying their best to save money with recent transfers, getting cut rate deals, buying players preferably from abroad who has a lot of sell on potential would all of a sudden rather sign an overpriced CM from a team that has no reason to sell and are flush with cash, instead of a cheaper (likely at least) option from Seria a? Just because he is English? I mean when was the last time we pulled a move like this? Have we ever? Certainly not under Emenalo. Only one I can think of was Cahill, but we got him for peanuts and Bolton really needed the money.

I mean youre entitled to your opinion, I just think its a bizarre one, considering it would be completely out of character from our board who loves a bargain from abroad.

Edited by Xfaxtor
2 minutes ago, Xfaxtor said:

So you think the board, who are been trying their best to save money with recent transfers, getting cut rate deals, buying players preferably from abroad who has a lot of sell on potential would all of a sudden rather sign an overpriced CM from a team that has no reason to sell and are flush with cash, instead of a cheaper (likely at least) option from Seria a? Just because he is English? I mean when was the last time we pulled a move like this? Have we ever? Certainly not under Emenalo. Only one I can think of was Cahill, but we got him for peanuts and Bolton really needed the money.

I mean youre entitled to your opinion, I just think its a bizarre one, considering it would be completely out of character from our board who loves a bargain from abroad.

My supposition is that the Board has reverted to a somewhat more desperate mode and thus is willing to pay 35-40 million pounds for Drinkwater instead of the initial 15 million pounds that it purportedly bidded as options are running out and they can blame themselves for leaving it late again. The home grown quota is definitely a factor here otherwise Drinkwater wouldn't get a sniff as an option to buy.  I cannot see any reason why Conte would even consider an AVERAGE player like Drinkwater when he has a host of other midfield targets that he is much more familiar with.  

1 minute ago, lchk said:

My supposition is that the Board has reverted to a somewhat more desperate mode and thus is willing to pay 35-40 million pounds for Drinkwater instead of the initial 15 million pounds that it purportedly bidded as options are running out and they can blame themselves for leaving it late again. The home grown quota is definitely a factor here otherwise Drinkwater wouldn't get a sniff as an option to buy.  I cannot see any reason why Conte would even consider an AVERAGE player like Drinkwater when he has a host of other midfield targets that he is much more familiar with.  

Yeah we are going in circles here. Guess we will hear what Conte says abou him and whether he plays anything at all. Would be a huge surprise to me if this was something the board pushed through as I said it would be completely out of character.