The Greatest Mistake in Football History

yogic

"If you are asking me what I want, it is to stay in England and to stay at Chelsea," he said. "But sometimes what you want in life doesn't happen. And if I can't coach Chelsea, I will have to coach another team."

Jose - After Victory against Valencia

Its amazing what we have achieved, given our injury problems this season. Still a possibility of winning all 4. Can finish with the same points tally as United - only for them to win it on goal difference. Carling cup in the bag. Running strong in the FA cup. Semi-finals of the Champions League - all this with players like Terry, Cech, Carlo, Joey, Robben, Ashely and Bridge out for many games.

Credit to Jose. Love the way he turns games around with his tactical switches - must really make the opposition manager feel like a goat.

Credit to Essien, for being able to fill in as RB, CB and in MF - and being the best player on the pitch in almost every game he played, regardless of his position.

Credit to Diarra, for having to fill in as a full back, and doing a marvelous job there.

Credit to Mikel, for stepping into a MF of LAmps, Ballack and MAkelele (arguably amongst the top 5 midfielders in the world), and showing the touch and composure you would normally associate with the more experienced and established players.

Credit to Carvalho - many dont acknolowdge his contribution, think he has been immense this season.

Credit to Drogba for scoring as many as he has, and to Lampard for as many as he has.

Even if the Carling cup is all we win this season - I want Jose at Chelsea for many years to come.

The thing is. Even if we doesn't win any more trophies this season we will still have:

1. Won the Carling Cup

2. Finished 2nd in the league

3. Reached the semi final in the FA Cup

4. Reached the semi final in the Champions League

So

1 trophy

1 runner up

2 semi finals

Not bad if you ask me.

But let's not talk about that. We will win more icon_razz.gif

An excellent post, Yogic.

The way that Jose and 'Toadface' Kenyon were hugging last night, suggests otherwise, but the man with all the money makes the decision i suppose.

If Roman has any idea whatsoever about how every Chelsea fan feels, then he will keep Jose.

Not only to prevent discouragement from the US, but for the sake and success of the club.

The whole notion that he may still be sacked, after what he has achieved, is UNBELIEVABLE.

The way that Jose and 'Toadface' Kenyon were hugging last night, suggests otherwise, but the man with all the money makes the decision i suppose.

If Roman has any idea whatsoever about how every Chelsea fan feels, then he will keep Jose.

Not only to prevent discouragement from the US, but for the sake and success of the club.

The whole notion that he may still be sacked, after what he has achieved, is UNBELIEVABLE.

Totally agree, and if RA dose sack the "Best Manager in the World" who dose he think he can get in to take us to a higher level? JM proved again last night with his tactical half time subsitution why he is the "Special One" and why he must remain at Chelsea!!Also it was proof afterwards how he jumped on JT & Essien what a solid together unit he has moulded in a team with him at the helm we can dominate football Home & in Europe for a long time to come!!

Come on Roman see the "BLUE" light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Surely one Divorce is enought!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure that Kenyon is in favour of getting rid of Jose. There are quite a few things that you can point you finger at him for - the Colegate affair especially - but I think he has been the peacemaker in all of the in fighting that has been going on.

The big problem is that there is a conflict between the owner, who is used to getting his own way ALL the time and the manager who has a big, big ego (justifiably so!) and it will require them both to back down if Jose is going to stay.

Unfortunately, I really don't see it happening.

I'm not sure that Kenyon is in favour of getting rid of Jose. There are quite a few things that you can point you finger at him for - the Colegate affair especially - but I think he has been the peacemaker in all of the in fighting that has been going on.

The big problem is that there is a conflict between the owner, who is used to getting his own way ALL the time and the manager who has a big, big ego (justifiably so!) and it will require them both to back down if Jose is going to stay.

You have misread my post.

That is what i have said. - Kenyon and Jose actually seem to get on well.

I think the main problem from Roman's perspective is that we don't play 'entertaining' football, just winning football. If this is accurate then Roman is sadly deluded. Jose's quote after the Carling Cup Final "...ask Chelsea fans if they want samba football and no trophies (like The Arse)..." indicates that it is exactly what the stumbling block is, as well as the five fingers raised to the directors box after the final whistle in Cardiff. To play both entertaining AND winning football is difficult. Manyoo appear to be doing that but the proof of that will be there for everyone to see at the end of the season.

I sincerely hope that Jose stays, not only for the 1st team but also for the sake of the whole structure of the club. The worst thing that could happen is that Roman brings in someone else to effectively undermine Jose, a general manager if you will. If that happens it'll just force Jose's hand - he'd walk rather than bite his tongue. My feeling is that anyone who comes in and takes up that position would be the manager in waiting - usually a very poor situation to work from with respect to the fans and players.

Unfortunately I fear all the rhetoric recently points to only one thing - Jose goes at the end of the season. I'd like to believe that all the stories going around about Roman and Jose this season have all been designed to extract the best out of the players, firing their loyalty to the boss and pushing them on to win trophies for him to convince the owner to stay his execution, but I fear I'm deluding myself.

Lets enjoy what we have at the moment - a great team, a great manager and everything to play for - and worry about the future when/if it happens.

You have misread my post.

That is what i have said. - Kenyon and Jose actually seem to get on well.

Sorry - I think the description of Kenyon as "toadface" may have distracted me icon_lol.gif

Excellent article on this subject from Independent

I understand what Loz has said in other posts regarding Roman, and how we should be grateful for what we have achieved already etc, but if he cant swallow his pride and allow Jose to stay, i will lose all faith in the club, and to a degree they will lose my support for the forseeable future.

I feel that strongly.

The above article sums it all up brilliantly.

Another interesting post in the Times by Cascarino!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 642707.ece

If Chelsea axe Mourinho, the FA should offer him double money

Tony Cascarino: Analysis

I have been told that Chelsea?s hierarchy have tried to extend an olive branch to Jos? Mourinho in a bid to repair the relationship between manager and board, but that Mourinho has not been interested. You can?t blame him. The board are the only people who do not seem to think that Mourinho is the Special One.

Where are the messages of support and praise? Why has Roman Abramovich, the owner, not backed his manager in public? Why does Mourinho not have the same degree of job security as Sir Alex Ferguson, Rafael Ben?tez and Ars?ne Wenger? It is the least he deserves.

To get rid of Mourinho would be one of the most ridiculous dismissals ever, even if Chelsea win nothing else this season. He has achieved more than in the past two seasons because of the problems he has overcome: injuries, internal tensions and not being allowed to improve the squad in January. If Abramovich thinks that another manager could have done any better, he is wrong.

Chelsea have lost only three times in the Premiership and are on target to finish with about the same number of points as last season. It would be no disgrace to come second to an exceptional Manchester United team. Chelsea have won the Carling Cup, so that is at least one piece of silverware. As for suggestions that Mourinho?s job depends on winning the Champions League, that is crazy. It is a cup competition. The line is fine. It is irrational to stake a manager?s future on whether his team win it or not.

There are far better yardsticks by which to assess Mourinho. I have not met a Chelsea player who does not speak highly of him. Such unanimous respect is unusual in football. The players know that he makes them better ? Didier Drogba, Michael Essien, Joe Cole, for starters. Michael Ballack and Andriy Shevchenko are also much improved from when they arrived at Stamford Bridge.

It was Mourinho?s decision to go with a small squad this season, which was a risk, but young players such as John Obi Mikel and Lassana Diarra have grown as a result.

Probably eight out of ten of his transfer buys have proved a success ? an outstanding ratio. No manager is perfect, after all, but Mourinho makes fewer mistakes than most. It is hard to think of a match where he got his tactics wrong. He spots the need to make changes more quickly than anyone I?ve seen. His substitutions are so bold yet almost always effective.

It is not as if the fans are turning on Mourinho ? they adore him as well. And the accusation that Chelsea do not play attractive football has been exaggerated. It is not as though Chelsea are the reincarnation of Wimbledon. They have been prettier this season, especially away from home. Seeing superstars on fat contracts run and tackle as if their careers depend on it ? that is beautiful. Motivation, athleticism, character . . . these are as wonderful to watch as a ten-pass move.

As for the suggestion that he and Abramovich do not see eye to eye, does that matter? It is desirable that a manager and owner or chairman get on, but it is not essential as long as both are working in the best interests of the club.

If he goes, Mourinho would walk straight into another job.

Every big club would chase him. The FA should offer him double what they paid Sven-G?ran Eriksson to be England head coach. But Chelsea? There would be a big hole, impossible to fill. Some players loyal to Mourinho may leave in disgust and those who stayed would surely not play at the same level.

Abramovich would have to give his new manager a huge sum of money to bring in his own men, but Chelsea would do no better. They would spend more and achieve less, like an English Real Madrid. What?s that saying? You don?t know what you?ve got til it?s gone . . .

Maybe I'm just hoping - but I dont think JM will go

If he does though you have to look at the damage and cost caused not just from his departure but also from the people that will go with him

Lets hope that rumours are rumours and that sense prevails

It's amusing that following Tuesday's result and the very real threat of JM leaving us, the press are now wising up to what they'll miss.

Having slagged him off for his 'monstrous' ego, arrogance, petulance, childishness, deceiptfulness etc etc for 3 years, they now are starting to realise that he is one of the key stars of the Premiership and key to them having something to write about.

Arses

It's amusing that following Tuesday's result and the very real threat of JM leaving us, the press are now wising up to what they'll miss.

Having slagged him off for his 'monstrous' ego, arrogance, petulance, childishness, deceiptfulness etc etc for 3 years, they now are starting to realise that he is one of the key stars of the Premiership and key to them having something to write about.

Arses

It's struck me again and again this season in particular, that the majority of people who slag off Jose do so parrot fashion, echoing the warped outlook of all too many of the sporting press in this country. Many a time, what Jose actually is very much on the sensible side, especially when taken in it's original context, rather than twisted and manipulated to create yet another "Has Jose finally lost the plot" type headline.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hli ... +EXIT+TALK

JOSE WANTS END TO EXIT TALK

Jose Mourinho has called for the intense speculation over his future to end as he is keen to continue his 'historic' work with Chelsea.

After steering his side into the UEFA Champions League semi-finals on Tuesday night, Mourinho appeared to reignite talk of a possible exit by admitting he could be forced to find alternative employment come the end of the season.

The Portuguese boss has seen his relationship with owner Roman Abramovich come under close scrutiny this season and he was openly frustrated with the club's stance during the January transfer window.

Barcelona, Real Madrid and Internazionale have all been suggested as possible destinations for the self-styled 'Special One', with a move to the Bernabeu as Fabio Capello's replacement seeming the most likely scenario at present.

However, Mourinho - who is still hunting an unprecedented quadruple this season - has now attempted to curb talk of a move to Spain by underlining his desire to remain at Stamford Bridge.

"I don't want my name linked with Madrid or with any other club because I want to stay with Chelsea," Mourinho told Marca.

"I've got a contract until 2010 and I want to carry on."

Mourinho went on to add that if he did leave Chelsea, he would be keen to return to the Premiership at some point in the future.

"If I have to leave for some reason or because someone wants me to... that's life in soccer.

"And if I leave I want to keep coaching next season at another European club.

"I like English soccer and I'd like to coach another club in the Premiership but not now.

"I don't imagine leaving Chelsea and going straight to another English club. It would be a very strange situation and I don't want it to happen."

Having claimed four major trophies in under three seasons, with the possibility of another three to follow in the coming weeks, Mourinho has described his superb work at Stamford Bridge as 'historic'.

However, the former Porto coach believes that this season could yet prove to be his most memorable as Chelsea remain in contention for the Premiership, FA Cup and UEFA Champions League.

"I have done work in these three years which could be termed historic, because some of the things we have done can only be described this way," Mourinho added.

"This season has been the best of all because we have had to overcome some incredible problems.

"It's been unbelievable what we've suffered because of injury problems this season, and look what we're still managing to do."