Callum Hudson-Odoi

enigma
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

5 hours ago, enigma said:

Sarri has already explained his reasoning behind H-Odoi not being a first team player yet. He needs to improve the defensive/tactical side of his game and movement off the ball. It's not an unfair criticism.

He is explaining why an 18 year old isn't playing often enough. Sure he could have played more Europa league mins, but we didn't exactly make those games easy and when Callum did play he didn't really make himself stand out as the next Ronaldo or something, it was just a decent performance against low level opposition. 

You aren't going to get chances to show off and play silly games in this league. You won't have time to rest on the ball and a young player will get found out fast if they're not tactically aware enough.

I couldnt agree less to a comment if i tried. The guy has such limited minutes, and is supposed to perform without getting a proper run in the team. And guess what, he alwayd does, easily was the most creative force today anx has looked great every other tike he has played. We are a team lacking any sort of creative and guile in the final third and are over reliant on hazard for this. We have to start playing him more, its funny how Bayern can see his value and not where he actually plays.

I thought he did great, but I don't think he will start against spurs if pedro and Willian are fit. It's a tough game midweek, and like it or not, sarri will probably go with experienced heads. 

We have Newcastle at home next weekend though, and I think that is a game CHO has to start if we are to convince him there is a path in the first team for him. 

15 minutes ago, big blue said:

I thought he did great, but I don't think he will start against spurs if pedro and Willian are fit. It's a tough game midweek, and like it or not, sarri will probably go with experienced heads. 

We have Newcastle at home next weekend though, and I think that is a game CHO has to start if we are to convince him there is a path in the first team for him. 

I remember Rashford being in a similar position for United. He got a start in the Europa League, he scored, they started him against Arsenal in the next game, he scored again, then he got another against City and scored again. Sometimes things just fall into place. I would start Hudson-Odoi, it could be the making of him.

Imagine if he started the game and scored the winning goal against our current most bitter rivals. If that isn't an incentive to start him, I don't know what is.

3 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I remember Rashford being in a similar position for United. He got a start in the Europa League, he scored, they started him against Arsenal in the next game, he scored again, then he got another against City and scored again. Sometimes things just fall into place. I would start Hudson-Odoi, it could be the making of him.

Imagine if he started the game and scored the winning goal against our current most bitter rivals. If that isn't an incentive to start him, I don't know what is.

Fair point, but I can't see him getting the nod unless we still have pedro and Willian both injured. It could be a blessing in disguise if they are still out though. 

18 and looks good.....play him more and we will see what he is made of, dont and another Club will snatch him, BM can see he can turn rather good. I dont care about the 30-40M if it turns out he can rip it.......we must take punts now and again if its warranted.

6 hours ago, enigma said:

Sarri has already explained his reasoning behind H-Odoi not being a first team player yet. He needs to improve the defensive/tactical side of his game and movement off the ball. It's not an unfair criticism.

He is explaining why an 18 year old isn't playing often enough. Sure he could have played more Europa league mins, but we didn't exactly make those games easy and when Callum did play he didn't really make himself stand out as the next Ronaldo or something, it was just a decent performance against low level opposition. 

You aren't going to get chances to show off and play silly games in this league. You won't have time to rest on the ball and a young player will get found out fast if they're not tactically aware enough.

Surely the best way to improve is to be on the pitch? There’s only so much he can do in training especially when the games are coming every couple of days. 

3 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Surely the best way to improve is to be on the pitch? There’s only so much he can do in training especially when the games are coming every couple of days. 

Precisely. Also I understand Sarri's reluctance in playing him if he feels that CHO is not god enough defensively. I would wait to see if he is willing to sign a contract till end of this year. Else, I will not mind him being sold to BM for big money.

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

And what if he starts and concedes the winning goal to our bitter rivals due to a defensive mistake? I’d probably take the risk personally, but we have to accept it is a real risk, otherwise he’d already be a regular starter.

2 hours ago, Oli said:

I couldnt agree less to a comment if i tried. The guy has such limited minutes, and is supposed to perform without getting a proper run in the team. And guess what, he alwayd does, easily was the most creative force today anx has looked great every other tike he has played. We are a team lacking any sort of creative and guile in the final third and are over reliant on hazard for this. We have to start playing him more, its funny how Bayern can see his value and not where he actually plays.

He was 17 when the season started... he's getting a chances, confidence and the managers confidence now.

When he's so young how Sarri treats him now vs 4 months ago can be vastly different.  Especially considering Sarri's first goal the first two months was implement his system, and he had 3 wingers in pedro, willian and hazard.  The door is more open now for CHO, as Hazard is getting minutes at the 9.  He started off the season on the bench/ training, now he's up to seeing the field 1 out of every 3 games, my guess is we start to see him at least half time.

18 minutes ago, Kentonio said:

And what if he starts and concedes the winning goal to our bitter rivals due to a defensive mistake? I’d probably take the risk personally, but we have to accept it is a real risk, otherwise he’d already be a regular starter.

The seasoned pros make mistakes, it doesn't stop them getting picked.

35 minutes ago, Kentonio said:

Couldn't give a flying f**k tbh. Young players need to play and learn from mistakes. All players make them at some time or other.

7 minutes ago, Richard P said:

People were quick to turn on Christianson after Barca and the next few games. It’s tough on young players in top games.

The majority let him off at the time though. People were frustrated, but at the same time accepted that it was part of growing as a footballer. The problem with Christensen now is that he doesn't seem to have moved on from that mistake. His passing isn't as confident as it was, and he gives it away in dangerous area's when he should play a pass a few seconds ealier. Since the mistake against Barcelona, he seems to be overthinking everything.

Hudson-Odoi could make a similar mistake and never recover, or he may be great, either way, he's worth a try.

47 minutes ago, Richard P said:

People were quick to turn on Christianson after Barca and the next few games. It’s tough on young players in top games.

Christensen wasn’t written off directly after the Barca game by the fans with a modicum of intelligence (only the usual match day knee jerkers). It was over the next 4/5 games where he continually made mistakes leading to goals being conceded and points lost. 

He's 18 and the only thing keeping him from playing more is defensive tactical awareness. That's a very good sign he's going to grow into the role in the near future because that is a very coachable trait. 

It's also a huge mistake to sell him if that's all that stands between him and starting matches in the future which is probably his sticking point for not signing a new contract because he knows he's not walking into the Bayern lineup ahead of Ribery and Robben this season. His eye will be on next season if he wants to go to Bayern. 

I reckon he wants to be assured the club aren't going to spend 50m on another winger, besides Pulisic, to come in and take over for either or both of Pedro and Willian. At least 1 of them two 100% cannot be at Chelsea next season if we expect CHO to stick around. Hazard, CHO, Pulisic and Pedro are my bet to be our wingers next season. 

Enough of this defensive discipline rubbish. Willian is great at that but he’s pony going forward. We dominate the ball in 90% of our games in this new system, mainly it’s us trying to break down stubborn teams sitting deep. Our problem isn’t defensively it’s offensivley - we’re not good enough to create multiple chances. He needs to jersey for a run of games and give him the chance. There was two terrific crosses by him today in one game that resulted in goals. It’s taken most of the team all season to make two good crosses (exaggeration). 

The fact is he is electric going forward and that’s the area that we really, really struggle.

1 hour ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

He's 18 and the only thing keeping him from playing more is defensive tactical awareness. That's a very good sign he's going to grow into the role in the near future because that is a very coachable trait. 

It's also a huge mistake to sell him if that's all that stands between him and starting matches in the future which is probably his sticking point for not signing a new contract because he knows he's not walking into the Bayern lineup ahead of Ribery and Robben this season. His eye will be on next season if he wants to go to Bayern. 

I reckon he wants to be assured the club aren't going to spend 50m on another winger, besides Pulisic, to come in and take over for either or both of Pedro and Willian. At least 1 of them two 100% cannot be at Chelsea next season if we expect CHO to stick around. Hazard, CHO, Pulisic and Pedro are my bet to be our wingers next season. 

The uncertainty around hazard and the possible transfer ban, puts the club in a very tricky situation. If we pass up on bringing in another winger to try and placate CHO, then we get a ban and hazard wants out, we are left with pedro, willian, and CHO in the last year of their deal, and Pulisic. 

It's going to be a real balancing act, trying to show enough ambition to keep hazard, without putting too many obstacles in CHO's path, whilst also being prepared for a possible 2 year transfer ban. 

Never a dull moment at this club.

12 hours ago, enigma said:

Is there anything, ever, that you might criticise Sarri for?

Just saying.

22 hours ago, Fatty_Speeding said:

You think think Sarri doesn't see all our wingers every day in training and has no clue to as the pecking order of our wingers by quality? Or do you agree we would be lessening our chances of finishing in the top four by playing Hudson-Odoi above the others?

No I do not agree that we have less chance of achieving top four if CHO plays. 

4 hours ago, charierre said:

Couldn't give a flying f**k tbh. Young players need to play and learn from mistakes. All players make them at some time or other.

Sure, and I bet you’d have nothing to say if those mistakes cost us top 4 or dumped us out of a major cup, right? Yes youngsters need to be able to make mistakes, but that’s why managers don’t drop them in at the deep end in important games. For one thing it would be devastating to their confidence to screw up majorly in a huge game.