Callum Hudson-Odoi

enigma
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Still early in the year. Some of the hyperventilating about him not playing is misplaced.

Let's not forget Pulisic barely played the first two months of last season. 

Mount featured last night because Liverpool have the best attacking fullbacks in world football and he is the best player without the ball in the team.

CHO will play in the League Cup and he'll get 90 mins to make his case on all fronts. 

2 hours ago, ducavis said:

Fingers crossed a permanent move. With 2 weeks to go in this transfer window you do wonder if Tammy might run into the same issue.  Long term there might be questions about squad management.

You want him sold? 

4 minutes ago, Sindre said:

You want him sold? 

Personally I don't care but I can see why someone would. If we are trying to offload him though then may as well get a big fee now so we can buy a replacement. Him going on loan will be us saying good bye to him at some stage. 

There's something clearly not right with the kid. 

For me I think he is a long way off, and it’s not just that, I get he had the injury but I don’t see the drive and determination in his play. 

Granted some players have a lazier style to look at doesn’t mean they aren’t dedicated but frank has said about his training and to be fair it comes across on the pitch always half arsed.

I could be wrong but I was all for giving him the chance but I think he thinks he is better than what he is and doesn’t need to work as hard 

2 hours ago, Sindre said:

You want him sold? 

Absolutely not! Makes zero sense loaning him out & buying a “Benrahma” for example. What happens next season then? It’s the same with Ampadu; I don’t see a long term plan/clear path into the squad. Makes sense just sell them now if the management has no plan/ manager doesn’t believe in them.

Personally I rate him highly, and find the whole situation very bizarre. One of the reasons clubs are moving away from the older managers & going for ex pros is because of a fresher approach, and they are not stuck in their ways. One aspect of that is knowing with young players you can’t use a blanket approach. Some young players need to be cuddled/ need an arm around them to get the best out of them.

24 minutes ago, SFL82 said:

For me I think he is a long way off, and it’s not just that, I get he had the injury but I don’t see the drive and determination in his play. 

Granted some players have a lazier style to look at doesn’t mean they aren’t dedicated but frank has said about his training and to be fair it comes across on the pitch always half arsed.

I could be wrong but I was all for giving him the chance but I think he thinks he is better than what he is and doesn’t need to work as hard 

How don’t you see the drive & determination in his play? And are you using the 10-15mins here and there? 
Everytime he has come on, I have never see him sulk, he is always eager to run at players. You can’t expect any more out of him, what I do see is he knows no matter what happens in that brief cameo he isn’t going to start.

27 minutes ago, ducavis said:

what I do see is he knows no matter what happens in that brief cameo he isn’t going to start.

That surely is the exact point though isnt it... If he went out and grabbed a game by the horns in whatever cameo he is given he forces his way into the plans, its what countless other youth players have done over the years. 

Well... I think he's very talented. I'm not a gaffer, I don't see him in training, I don't manage him, but then again by that logic what would be the point in having a sodding opinion or any say? But I'll get to the point... I think letting him go would be a massive mistake, and in my opinion playing Mount over him on the wing has to be seen as an insult from his perspective. 

I'm really not sure where to go from here, I know Pulisic was weened in after some time but there's no reason for why Callum shouldn't be starting games now. Pulisic and Ziyech are injured, how on earth is he still not starting games? If he isn't starting games now, then is he ever going to be in Franks favour here? I think it's fairly obvious to say he's not that highly rated by the gaffer, which I find strange because I think it's obvious he has a lot of talent. Far more talent than Mount does on the wing that's for sure. 

I think he should've started the last two games, he'll probably play tomorrow, if he doesn't that's pretty worrying for sure. Yes, I know... Two games in and it might look like I'm jumping to conclusions but don't miss the point. Right now is the perfect time for him to be playing games, and he isn't, when Pulisic and Ziyech are fit, what chances does he have? 

Edited by Slojo

He'll get plenty of opportunities over the course of the season. The fact that he hasn't started in the first two matches doesn't mean a lot to me, considering the man starting ahead of him is our record new signing, and at this point in the season there hasn't been much need for rotation. Lampard has been pretty good at picking players on merit, and if Havertz continues to be anonymous (or gets moved into the centre, which according to everybody on the internet is his best position), and CHO continues to work hard in training and be patient, then he'll get his chance to shine in the league. I also suspect that maybe, with James starting at full back, Lampard doesn't feel the need to have another natural wide-player playing in front of him, since James can pretty much do the wingers job anyway.

4 hours ago, ducavis said:

How don’t you see the drive & determination in his play? And are you using the 10-15mins here and there? 
Everytime he has come on, I have never see him sulk, he is always eager to run at players. You can’t expect any more out of him, what I do see is he knows no matter what happens in that brief cameo he isn’t going to start.

He has has starts as well and he has had moments, I didn’t say he sulks but he isn’t doing what Pulisic for example, who sat on the bench for 2 month does when he comes on, He drives at players and changes the game.

If you have a dynamic winger you want him to impact games he hasn’t effected the games in the way you would want especially on 130k a week they have been luke warm performances. 

You negotiate the big contracts you have to play your way into the team and make the difference, if he was impressing the manager in training he would not be on the bench, we have in frank a manager who plays you no matter age or status if you show him you’re ready. 

I’m not saying give up on him or sell him but I think a loan would be ideal if he isn’t happy to sit on the bench which seems to be the case, he needs a bit more power in his runs and a bit more aggression to his game, his talent is clear, and a loan may give him that. 

Edited by SFL82

I really hope Callum stays. I think he is really good and just needs quite a lot more minutes playing time. The club will be way short of genuine wingers if he leaves. Pulisic will be lucky to be fit for half the season based on the past few years and that just leaves Zyech unless Werner plays wide with Tammy in the middle.

It is so frustrating. On the other hand I don't mind if Rudigier and or Christenson go.

8 hours ago, Slojo said:

Well... I think he's very talented. I'm not a gaffer, I don't see him in training, I don't manage him, but then again by that logic what would be the point in having a sodding opinion or any say? But I'll get to the point... I think letting him go would be a massive mistake, and in my opinion playing Mount over him on the wing has to be seen as an insult from his perspective. 

I'm really not sure where to go from here, I know Pulisic was weened in after some time but there's no reason for why Callum shouldn't be starting games now. Pulisic and Ziyech are injured, how on earth is he still not starting games? If he isn't starting games now, then is he ever going to be in Franks favour here? I think it's fairly obvious to say he's not that highly rated by the gaffer, which I find strange because I think it's obvious he has a lot of talent. Far more talent than Mount does on the wing that's for sure. 

I think he should've started the last two games, he'll probably play tomorrow, if he doesn't that's pretty worrying for sure. Yes, I know... Two games in and it might look like I'm jumping to conclusions but don't miss the point. Right now is the perfect time for him to be playing games, and he isn't, when Pulisic and Ziyech are fit, what chances does he have? 

I was just about to write exactly the same thing, if Ziyech and Pulsic are out injured and your only getting 10mins from 2 league games then surely CHO is thinking to himself wtf. Specially 2 games in which we wasn't great going forward and created very little, Havertz done next to nothing and Mount runs alot. I would take CHO over Mount on the wing in any match.

5 hours ago, Brutos said:

Lampard doesn't rate him he prefers workhorses like mount. He will he either sold or loaned out.

What I'm getting from Lampard's remark is that CHO isn't putting in 100% at training. It's not the same as being a workhorse, I think. That evokes an image of a plodding talentless water carrier, but CHO - or Mount for that matter - isn't that :smile:

Putting your head down and give your all, use your talent, be better than someone else, that's what is needed to start a match. 

I wonder whether this alleged bid has been on the cards for a little while, which might explain why Hudson-Odoi has been used so sparingly. I would have been inclined to start him in both of the first two games, and having not done so, he should certainly start against Barnsley. I also found this online (npg = non-penalty goals, league only I think):

EijT_cRXkAQBj6D?format=png&name=small