Callum Hudson-Odoi

Glad it's finally sorted!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Funny how we've waited for years and years for just one youth player to breakthru, now come the second half of the season we could have 4 or 5 in a starting 11. Great to see the hard work and big investment paying off.

Edited by Dixons

7 minutes ago, Dixons said:

Glad it's finally sorted!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Funny how we've waited for years and years for just one youth player to breakthru, now come the second half of the season we could have 4 or 5 in a starting 11. Great to see the hard work and big investment paying off.

It's makes sense that it's now we are truly starting to reap the rewards as these guys would have been recruited around or just after the time of Roman overhauling the academy structure.

For £100k a week, he’s going to have to deliver and back his big time Charlie attitude up. It’s fantastic news given our current transfer ban but I can help but feel we will be left with him winding down his contract. The club need to manage him right. 

Regardless of money/wages, Absolutely fantastic news, another English player signed up, we have clearly lacked a proper English identity over the last few years,

First and foremost we are an English club and with CHO, RLC, Mount, James, Abraham in and around the squad I am really positive going forward,

win lose or draw I'm excited about watching these guys grow together.

KTBFFH.

Yeah I'll be honest, I haven't seen anything to suggest he's worth this contract. 100 or 180. 

He forced his way into the first team, then did nothing. Despite the rosiest of tinted specs, he didn't show anyone he was the next big thing. 

We might regret it. But to be fair, I don't really care how much we pay someone. Rather we overpaid than underpaid. I still reckon he will be playing for everton or Southampton when he's 25.

But...I hope I'm wrong and I will back him all season. 

Edited by bisright1

I don’t even want to think about the money because the sums being quoted are beyond ridiculous. It’s up to the club how much they want to spend - I really hope the £100k figure is correct and not the £180k that sky have mentioned though.

Regarding Hudson-Odoi, I’m absolutely delighted that he’s signed on because he is undoubtably one the best talents in world football. What other players in world football have achieved what he has at 17/18? He was the star man in one of the best youth academies in the world over the past few years. An academy that has dominated in the UK and abroad. He was a key member of the England u17’s World Cup winning team. And he’s also broken into and started for the England national team. He was one of the best players on the pitch on his England start. 

Whether he reaches his potential remains to be seen, but he’s most certainly one of the most exciting talents in world football. He’s only 18, I can’t believe he’s already getting a bit of critism for some of his performances on here. Give it 3-4 years and I predict that we’ll have a worldie of a player on our hands.

Edited by DannyVblue

180,000/week x 52 weeks per year (I assume they are paid year round?  or is it just during the season?) = 9.36 million/year.  So if we think he is getting a 5 year deal, he'll cost us 46.8 million total in wages, slightly more than what we bought Kovacic for.  It's really not that much money relatively speaking, considering we aren't buying anyone else this year and the inflation of the market.

4 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

180,000/week x 52 weeks per year (I assume they are paid year round?  or is it just during the season?) = 9.36 million/year.  So if we think he is getting a 5 year deal, he'll cost us 46.8 million total in wages, slightly more than what we bought Kovacic for.  It's really not that much money relatively speaking, considering we aren't buying anyone else this year and the inflation of the market.

Until he does a Michael Owen and knackers his hamstrings up in the first few weeks.

In all seriousness the chance we take with young, rapid but slightly under developed kids is that they can become injury prone and never get to fulfill their potential. If the wages are correct there could be an underlying pressure either from the player to play as much as possible to prove his worth or from the club to get value for money. Over use and over extension injuries can get in the psyche of youngsters as well.

If he signs then I’m happy.

The wages don’t bother me TBH as we don’t have any say in it, and whether anyone is worth it or not is dependent on their  performances.

If he thinks that’s what he’s worth then he’ll have to prove it.

So at least we’ll have someone who will be trying their hardest to justify their wages.

That’s the most important thing to me.

PS only Sky are saying 180k, everyone else thinks it’s closer to 100k.

Edited by 2211

1 hour ago, Boston Blue said:

Those Sky Sources are at it again...…….

Rumour has it he’ll have signed within the next 48 hours...

1 hour ago, tmarmsi said:

Regardless of money/wages, Absolutely fantastic news, another English player signed up, we have clearly lacked a proper English identity over the last few years,

First and foremost we are an English club and with CHO, RLC, Mount, James, Abraham in and around the squad I am really positive going forward,

win lose or draw I'm excited about watching these guys grow together.

KTBFFH.

You forgot our English management team.