enigma

Callum Hudson-Odoi

All gone abit quiet on the contract front. There were rumours he was close to signing a few weeks back but nothing now. 

Many ideas?

The thing is Callum and Frank have probably little to no part to play in the contract talks, it's down to the club and his family reps.

But from what i see of Callum's occasional tweets and what Frank has said on the situation, if it was down to them the deal would of been done by now.

Callum Hudson-Odoi’s new Chelsea contract is now ‘close to being signed off’ 

He will earn over £100,000 a week once his new five-year contract is confirmed.

- Telegraph

Believe it when we see it!

Callum Hudson-Odoi’s new Chelsea contract is now ‘close to being signed off’ 
He will earn over £100,000 a week once his new five-year contract is confirmed.
- Telegraph

Believe it when we see it!

48 hours 3 months ago

There's no point in him signing as he'll get more at the end of the season. The correct thing to do is to hold his playing time this season to ransom, the club should have told Lampard to speak about Willian and Pedro as important players to put him in a more difficult position. 

Got to say I'm concerned about his future with us, could have signed the extension weeks ago if he keen. Assume he's fit and not getting picked regularly for whatever reasons, he may just play the wait and see game until the next window, and offers will be raining in for him. I reckon we should let Willian go in the next few days, that will free up the spot in the team and convince CHO he's an important player.

3 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

I reckon we should let Willian go in the next few days, that will free up the spot in the team and convince CHO he's an important player.

Not a very good negotiation tactic though.

4 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Got to say I'm concerned about his future with us, could have signed the extension weeks ago if he keen. Assume he's fit and not getting picked regularly for whatever reasons, he may just play the wait and see game until the next window, and offers will be raining in for him. I reckon we should let Willian go in the next few days, that will free up the spot in the team and convince CHO he's an important player.

All of this is a weird post. 

He's not fit. It's not a conspiracy, he had a pretty serious injury and it's remarkable he's even close to being in the team (and all signs point to post international break). 

Also, if he doesn't want to be here, then I'd rather keep willian than try and convince CHO anymore. He needs to earn his spot now, we've given him every assurance he deserves and a wage offer that's ridiculously high. 

If any of this is down to CHO, I'd be very worried and personally if he does leave next summer, it's for the best. 

I can't see the dynamic to this negotiation.

Why hasn't he signed? Maybe it's the club wanting to see how his recovery goes. I know there was talk of BM and him getting a fantastic offer from them but this could just as easily have been a negotiating manoeuvre from his agent. Chelsea knew when this offer came in they didn't have to sell. They could sit it out and if they knew he really wanted to stay it was a forlorn negotiating ploy. Maybe they have called his agents bluff. Certainly the dynamic of the negotiation changed when the injury occurred, after all who wants to buy a player with a notoriously difficult injury. The risk changed at that point and BM looked elsewhere.

Maybe the club have played a blinder here. Maybe Callum is looking at things differently now. After the weekend he must be looking on thinking that Tammy and Mason have jumped in front of him. He must be able to see that Frank is putting young players in the team. He must see that with the CL games fast approaching he has a genuine chance to play at the highest level very soon and with a club he knows very well. Did you see the look in that kids face in the earlier post when Eto looked at him? Is he really going to walk away from the biggest opportunity in his career? The opportunities to play were rumoured to be his sticking point but with those worries gone and Chelsea being in a position to pay him a top wage I don't see why he hasn't signed.

Just maybe the situation has changed and it's now the club holding the trump card.

If Callum has 180k a week offer from Bayern I don't blame him. I just don't think he has. If we'd give him a ridiculous deal it will shuffle our entire squad salaries to a new position. CHO has done very little so far for our first team but he looks so good already.

Hope his representation has sense and they work a nice deal for both parties.

Sometimes I wonder if these people know what is best for them. Making 5% more on top of a massive salary. Does it make a difference...?

1 hour ago, evissy said:

If we'd give him a ridiculous deal it will shuffle our entire squad salaries to a new position. 

Every player has to play to a certain standard, or show potential of reaching that standard. Players that don't ,wont be able to negotiate a higher improved contract, because they'll be gone, like Drinkwater and others.

Callum like a few other youngsters have shown a little potential, and its at this time when you need to grasp them before their worth inflates. Look at Mason Mount, his worth probably added 50% just after a few games this season, thankfully we have him nailed down for the next 5 years.

5 hours ago, axman2526 said:

No fresh rumours around him either leaving tomorrow or signing a new deal. I reckon he will hold out for a free transfer to Bayern now.

Where would he player at Bayern though? Muller & their player of the season Gnabry are on the bench.

So an announcement on the extension wasn't waiting for the right "PR" time...…….

And so much for timing it to coincide with the official release of the third shirt...…….

It looks increasingly as if he wants to leave.  And if that's the case, I wouldn't play him before the January window opens.  I would make sure he's fully re-habbed, I would make sure he does not re-injure the achilles or suffer a new injury, and I would sell him to Bayern for as much money as we can get.  

If being paid £100,000 a week for your boyhood club where you see proof that young players are being trusted more than ever and succeeding isn't enough of an incentive to sign, then he simply does not want to be a Chelsea player.

Or maybe, the deal is close and will be confirmed in 48 hours...…..

5 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

So an announcement on the extension wasn't waiting for the right "PR" time...…….

And so much for timing it to coincide with the official release of the third shirt...…….

It looks increasingly as if he wants to leave.  And if that's the case, I wouldn't play him before the January window opens.  I would make sure he's fully re-habbed, I would make sure he does not re-injure the achilles or suffer a new injury, and I would sell him to Bayern for as much money as we can get.  

If being paid £100,000 a week for your boyhood club where you see proof that young players are being trusted more than ever and succeeding isn't enough of an incentive to sign, then he simply does not want to be a Chelsea player.

Or maybe, the deal is close and will be confirmed in 48 hours...…..

A good sign will be whether he gets a lot of playing time once he returns from injury. I doubt he would be prioritized over other first team options if he has made it clear that he wants to leave. 

I think with CHO the club are hedging their best.  He's posting pics of himself training, and others with him at his barbers as I've pointed out before; so, he's playing the social media aspect quite coyly.  The Club, on the other hand, are probably waiting to see how his rehab goes.  The last think they want to do is retain him on a bumper contract, and then he doesn't regain full fitness and lingers around just collecting a paycheck.

Also, CHO, in my mind, has yet to do anything that signifies he deserves more of a contract than what RLC is on.  He has talent, that's for sure, but I fear we may be hyping him up too much to soon.  If he insists on leaving, or insists on money that he isn't justified for.  Let him go.  Just stick in a buy back clause.

8 hours ago, mad_mac said:

I think with CHO the club are hedging their best.  He's posting pics of himself training, and others with him at his barbers as I've pointed out before; so, he's playing the social media aspect quite coyly.  The Club, on the other hand, are probably waiting to see how his rehab goes.  The last think they want to do is retain him on a bumper contract, and then he doesn't regain full fitness and lingers around just collecting a paycheck.

Also, CHO, in my mind, has yet to do anything that signifies he deserves more of a contract than what RLC is on.  He has talent, that's for sure, but I fear we may be hyping him up too much to soon.  If he insists on leaving, or insists on money that he isn't justified for.  Let him go.  Just stick in a buy back clause.

Can’t insert a buy-back clause if he is free in the summer, he can agree a move to any club in Jan and we receive some compensation.

Can’t see him going to Bayern as they have moved on, and more likely to move for Sane.