enigma

Callum Hudson-Odoi

On 12/09/2019 at 12:57, bisright1 said:

Look, I'd love CHO to be the next big thing, stay with the club for 10 years ,lead us back into the elite. But I also have a concern he isn't going to be that person and haven't seen the actual evidence he will be.

Your data says that when he played against Dynamo Kiev, he scored goals. That doesn't mean he can deliver week in week out. It just means he could play well in those games against Europa League opposition. It doesnt mean he's on track to deliver a Goal or assist every 67 minutes in the premier league. That's what I mean by "bad data".

My advice would be to stop obsessing over a kid who is chasing a big wage before he's even scored in the Premier League. If he turns out to be world class, he will probably be angling for a move every window. So I am pretty ambivalent about him. If he left next summer I wouldn't be too upset.

Hudson Odoi the big difference maker 2 games in a row including a UCL match, have you still “not seen evidence” that he’ll be a top player? Clown

1 minute ago, RJBOfficial said:

Hudson Odoi the big difference maker 2 games in a row including a UCL match, have you still “not seen evidence” that he’ll be a top player? Clown

Are you really quoting something I wrote before he signed a contract?

9 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Are you really quoting something I wrote before he signed a contract?

I see it same way you do, quite a few people on here get fairly upset if you point it out though. Credit where it’s due though looked good tonight and did brilliant for the goal, thought he just over hit the cross but he was looking for Willian’s run was a great tackle and ball.

3 hours ago, Argo said:

When did that happen?

this past week.  It was a story that Chelsea weren't going to extend his contract, not an actual statement by the club.

Yes....he is invincible. Just back from injury and already he's made a huge impact.

Franks a man for youth clearly...lets see CHO starting at saints

11 hours ago, Liam said:

Was about to write that word for word with the addition that he is 18 years old. I could not be more excited to watch this young man develop. 

You always did get excited watching young men "develop".

The way he just shrugged off the Lille full back like it was nothing. Love how he put the defender on his backside before picking out Willian

21 hours ago, I Am Gay 4 Diegod said:

I see it same way you do, quite a few people on here get fairly upset if you point it out though. Credit where it’s due though looked good tonight and did brilliant for the goal, thought he just over hit the cross but he was looking for Willian’s run was a great tackle and ball.

But did he celebrate the goal in an acceptable manner? That’s the biting question on everyone’s mind!

I think the truly remarkable thing about Hudson-Odoi is that, even at 18(!), he already looks like a complete player. As if he's strolled in off the production line ready-made for the starting XI. When was the last time we ever saw that? JT maybe?

None of the classic criticisms of young wingers (particularly English ones) apply to him. He's not 'raw', his decision-making isn't iffy, he doesn't need to 'fill out a bit', his defensive work rate is decent. In short, he's not what you would expect from a player of his position and age, he's not just a big bundle of natural talent who might become a player if he applies himself: he's already a player. It's scary to think how good he might become if the willingness to improve is there. I think Frank is right, all the constituent parts of a player with world-class potential are there.

did he say .. no need to move "YET"..  i dont know maybe i am reading too much but the lad needs to be smarter with what he says.. but he is on a 5 year contract so that yet is a fair bit away i assume..

5 hours ago, Jangz said:

did he say .. no need to move "YET"..  i dont know maybe i am reading too much but the lad needs to be smarter with what he says.. but he is on a 5 year contract so that yet is a fair bit away i assume..

He always struck me as the type whose ambition goes beyond just playing for Chelsea, unlike our other youngsters who seem to be living the dream at the moment. Him submitting a transfer request last season was something that never sat right with me. It's understandable being frustrated when you feel you're ready and not getting play time but to seriously consider leaving your boyhood club halfway through your first season is not something I'd want to be remembered by.

There's nothing wrong with having ambition, I guess, as long as you go about it in a respectful manner. Hazard is a good example of how to do it properly and someone like Courtois is the opposite of it.

17 minutes ago, abramovich said:

He always struck me as the type whose ambition goes beyond just playing for Chelsea, unlike our other youngsters who seem to be living the dream at the moment. Him submitting a transfer request last season was something that never sat right with me. It's understandable being frustrated when you feel you're ready and not getting play time but to seriously consider leaving your boyhood club halfway through your first season is not something I'd want to be remembered by.

There's nothing wrong with having ambition, I guess, as long as you go about it in a respectful manner. Hazard is a good example of how to do it properly and someone like Courtois is the opposite of it.

There was an article today on footy365 by Robert Green saying under Sarri it was embarrassing as CHO was unbelievable in training yet wouldn't be picked.

Now when he can see other British players in the first teams with other top clubs and with arguably less talent I can understand why he would seek a move.

15 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

There was an article today on footy365 by Robert Green saying under Sarri it was embarrassing as CHO was unbelievable in training yet wouldn't be picked.

Picked 24 times

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

Yes but only after he was about to leave after handing in his transfer request...

He was picked before that too. He just continued to be picked after.

Edited by Stim

4 hours ago, abramovich said:

I'm not even convinced he was really planning on moving this early, he was for me using his strong cards to get more game time and a better wage.

And if he is more of a Beckham than a Scholes/Giggs (so to speak) then who are we to begrudge him? Had he not been good enough we would have shafted him on the loan conveyor belt indefinitely before eventually throwing him out to fend for himself, loyalty is a two way street.

Anyway there's no guarantee he will go abroad in the end but there's no harm in keeping an open mind (for example I've always toyed with the idea of going to live and work abroad but not yet made the plunge and I may never do). All the old guard bar Terry mulled the idea of moving at some point before deciding to settle here until their twilight years, Callum may do the same we just don't know but what I do know is there's no need to get so worked up over something that if it ever happens won't be for at least 6 years from now.