enigma

Callum Hudson-Odoi

16 minutes ago, ekimozturk said:

Much better today. Still would like him to take on defenders more. 

His deliveries were poor but he did have good control of the ball, I feel like he could've taken on players and got into the box to create better chances or even score himself. Hopefully this lifted his confidence and he'll kick on from here.

3 hours ago, ekimozturk said:

Much better today. Still would like him to take on defenders more. 

Was better today but for me, he still needs to add some urgency and aggression to his play. 

Edited by just

He plays with his head up, has strength, balance and pace. All things that can't be coached. What he lacks he can learn. We should give him time.
I sort of agree which goes against my position of not being convinced he is worth persevering with.

I agree he has pace but he doesn't use it anything like enough. If I'm a full back I'm not scared to face Odoi. It's like he is trying to be Pedro at 32 rather than Pedro at 18.

Take players on. Put them on the back foot and do it quickly before the defence is settled. Embrace being a kid and he will do so much better.

And...look like you give a sh*t! I don't mean Martin O Neill bouncing on your haunches on the sideline! I mean chasing the ball down if you lose it. I mean realising you have a role to support your full back. He doesn't do these things and needs to start doing them.

12 minutes ago, loz said:

Take players on. Put them on the back foot and do it quickly before the defence is settled. Embrace being a kid and he will do so much better.

That's all about confidence. It's clearly been lacking but there were good signs today. If he can start to play instinctively and release those shackles he'll be a different player.

One thing that worries me about him, there's a video doing the rounds, maybe someone can post it. It's taken by an Arsenal fan at the opposite end of the pitch when we score our winner. Mount, Willian and Tammy have busted a gut to get down the other end of the pitch and produce a goal. Callum is lagging somewhat behind. When the goal goes in the whole team raise their arms and sprint towards Tammy, every single player except Callum, who barely moves or celebrates.

I know some will say it's just his personality but I like to see a bit more passion. Mount, Tammy, Tomori, James, these guys clearly care. It means the world to them, playing for Chelsea, you can see that. Even Lamptey today, he's the only player in that video who's not in the picture when we score, as he's on the right flank, but he sprints and is one of the first to jump on top of Tammy.

Callum looks a little bit indifferent to it all.

Gotta agree with both you, there's something off with the way he is on the pitch, there's a lack of urgency that's hard to understand. I don't think it's a lack of effort as such, or a lack of caring, indifference is a very good way of putting it.

1 hour ago, loz said:

It's like he is trying to be Pedro at 32 rather than Pedro at 18.

He’s trying to be Hazard - standing players up then trying to beat them with a bit of skill and trickery. Always cutting inside rather than going down the wing (which he’s always tended to do from the left). 

He was a lot better today mind, got a good reception from the crowd and immediately came on and played a lovely ball across the pitch. Hopefully all the problems are confidence based and he can have a few more good cameos to get it up. 

A note about his attitude, Lamps said he started the last game on merit after working hard and impressing in training which is good to hear. 

57 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

That's all about confidence. It's clearly been lacking but there were good signs today. If he can start to play instinctively and release those shackles he'll be a different player.

One thing that worries me about him, there's a video doing the rounds, maybe someone can post it. It's taken by an Arsenal fan at the opposite end of the pitch when we score our winner. Mount, Willian and Tammy have busted a gut to get down the other end of the pitch and produce a goal. Callum is lagging somewhat behind. When the goal goes in the whole team raise their arms and sprint towards Tammy, every single player except Callum, who barely moves or celebrates.

I know some will say it's just his personality but I like to see a bit more passion. Mount, Tammy, Tomori, James, these guys clearly care. It means the world to them, playing for Chelsea, you can see that. Even Lamptey today, he's the only player in that video who's not in the picture when we score, as he's on the right flank, but he sprints and is one of the first to jump on top of Tammy.

Callum looks a little bit indifferent to it all.

He celebrated pretty hard at the final whistle.

I've been harsh on him but today I actually saw some good stuff.  I do wish he would take on defenders more (much like Hazard and now Pulisic does) but he might not be up for that.  With his injury, he might be better suited in a Messiesque role in the middle of the field behind the striker, as opposed to an out and out winger.

If his injury has had such a big impact on his confidence, speed etc at 18 (and the recovery was fairly speedy) I dread to think what will happen to RLC! Not sure if he’ll ever be the same player again 😞

10 hours ago, GhostOfDembaBa said:

The spring in his step is missing. Look at the video I posted above. It's a different player. Lightning quick, agile, hungry, fearless, confident. 

I can’t understand how you would lose that speed and agility if his achilles tendon is heeled. There’s got to be a psychological reason for such a big change

1 hour ago, Bluesince66 said:

I've mentioned it before,come next season we will see a world class player back to his best.

He hasn't done anything to date to be labeled a world class player, so he can't go back to what he hasn't been yet.

As for lack of confidence people mention here, I'm not sure how not chasing the ball after losing it or looking indifferent are connected to it. Seems more like he's got an attitude problem.

Having said, he did look better in the last couple of games, hopefully he'll continue to improve.

18 hours ago, loz said:

I sort of agree which goes against my position of not being convinced he is worth persevering with.

I agree he has pace but he doesn't use it anything like enough. If I'm a full back I'm not scared to face Odoi. It's like he is trying to be Pedro at 32 rather than Pedro at 18.

And...look like you give a sh*t! I don't mean Martin O Neill bouncing on your haunches on the sideline! I mean chasing the ball down if you lose it. I mean realising you have a role to support your full back. He doesn't do these things and needs to start doing them.

The bit about trying to be Pedro at 18 made me realize how 18yr old Pedro would've massively improved our attack!

We need a player that don't have to always stand a player up and play their way in. We need a player that can see space, run to it and score. If CHO can add that to his game, he'd be 10x more effective than Hazard.

I wasn't expecting much from him this season after the serious injury. Hopefully he can make some progress and rebuild his confidence. Then really make an impact next season. His performance yesterday was very encouraging and perhaps the best we have seen from him since Newcastle at home. Hopefully his next appearance will show further improvement.

1 hour ago, forbzy said:

I wasn't expecting much from him this season after the serious injury. 

I'm with you. I didn't expect him to be even in full training until January. He's so much farther ahead now than what I was expecting...

3 hours ago, Deino said:

The bit about trying to be Pedro at 18 made me realize how 18yr old Pedro would've massively improved our attack!

We need a player that don't have to always stand a player up and play their way in. We need a player that can see space, run to it and score. If CHO can add that to his game, he'd be 10x more effective than Hazard.

LMAO