Callum Hudson-Odoi

34 minutes ago, CFCholland said:

I'm not going to have this discussion here. I just want to make clear that I don't deny that racism exists, and that I obviously condemn it.

It's not that I don't understand the issue that is at hand here. But it isn't beneficial for anything to claim racism when it's just not there. You see people(and I'm not saying you in this case) are almost 'searching' for something to be racist, when sometimes (and hopefully more often than not) it just isn't there.

Yep we have been seraching for racism for 400 years, you know I was searching for racism when I was 15 coming from a friends house after a champions league match on a Wednesday eveing where I had a police car drive onto the pavement infornt of me and three officers came out and told me " There was a robbery in the area today and you fit the description of the accomplice" I got searched by all three.
15 years old, been at college during the day came out home and went to my friends house watched football and going home to sleep.
So yeah we as black people have been searching for racism for 400 years.

9 minutes ago, Brutos said:

Yep we have been seraching for racism for 400 years, you know I was searching for racism when I was 15 coming from a friends house after a champions league match on a Wednesday eveing where I had a police car drive onto the pavement infornt of me and three officers came out and told me " There was a robbery in the area today and you fit the description of the accomplice" I got searched by all three.
15 years old, been at college during the day came out home and went to my friends house watched football and going home to sleep.

So funny when some white dude tells you you're not a victim of racism, it's just a matter of political correctness gone mad, you know, and by the way, where is your sense of humour...

Well this is why I said I wasn't going to get into this here. You're not reading what I'm saying.

I've also been searched by the police twice. Once in the US coming from a friend's house and once in the Netherlands. I'm not sure what that adds to the debate.

Anyway, I'm sorry you have to deal with racism. Like I've said before, I'm not denying its existence. This is my final post on the matter. I don't want this to end up with two Chelsea supporters on here who dislike each other. Much less two human beings who do.

6 hours ago, bisright1 said:

On race, I found it interesting when someone said "how often do you call a black player 'intelligent' and how often do you say they are 'strong'". That made me think.

Ok I’m going to say something controversial but I believe it to be correct more than willing to have my mind changed. 

While I agree there is racism and young rich black men are targeted by the media because they don’t fit what the media’s reader base want which is a “good lad” bring English helps that image. 

Now the controversy: what if generally not always but generally white players are more intelligent?

Now before anyone flips think about this, if I said black players generally run faster and are more athletic and powerful who would complain? No one because it’s true. 

So if we agree some races have superior physical attributes or let’s say different physical attributes and they do that’s a fact why is it a problem to say maybe white guys generally make better play makers because genetically the speed they process information on a situation with multiple outcomes and respond to it might be quicker generally than a black guys, who conversely generally has faster reactions because his brain to muscle response is quicker than the white guys? 

Now I’m no fool I know why it’s offensive the stupid black man narrative that was pushed on them for years, and I’m in no way let me be clear suggesting that, there are plenty of phenomenally intelligent black men and dumb as you like white men, I get why the offence is taken.

But what if we look outside of PC not to discard that but just to look at facts and say maybe there is something to the fact that at the highest level genetic advantages in races will give one the edge?

Even in the black race, how many East African top sprinters do you have and how many of west African decent marathon runners? None but flip that question? Because generally west Africans are thicker and more powerful and adapt to short distance running and East Africans are slighter but hardy and adapt to marathon running. 

I’ve always observed this and it’s clearly observable but it’s a discussion people are scared to have. Can we not be totally not racist and I’m not I’m mixed btw, but discuss facts on human genetics without getting offended? 

If I have offended anyone I apologise it’s not the intent, I just find it an Interesting subject and I think there is validity to it. 

6 minutes ago, SFL82 said:

Ok I’m going to say something controversial but I believe it to be correct more than willing to have my mind changed. 

While I agree there is racism and young rich black men are targeted by the media because they don’t fit what the media’s reader base want which is a “good lad” bring English helps that image. 

Now the controversy: what if generally not always but generally white players are more intelligent?

Now before anyone flips think about this, if I said black players generally run faster and are more athletic and powerful who would complain? No one because it’s true. 

So if we agree some races have superior physical attributes or let’s say different physical attributes and they do that’s a fact why is it a problem to say maybe white guys generally make better play makers because genetically the speed they process information on a situation with multiple outcomes and respond to it might be quicker generally than a black guys, who conversely generally has faster reactions because his brain to muscle response is quicker than the white guys? 

Now I’m no fool I know why it’s offensive the stupid black man narrative that was pushed on them for years, and I’m in no way let me be clear suggesting that, there are plenty of phenomenally intelligent black men and dumb as you like white men, I get why the offence is taken.

But what if we look outside of PC not to discard that but just to look at facts and say maybe there is something to the fact that at the highest level genetic advantages in races will give one the edge?

Even in the black race, how many East African top sprinters do you have and how many of west African decent marathon runners? None but flip that question? Because generally west Africans are thicker and more powerful and adapt to short distance running and East Africans are slighter but hardy and adapt to marathon running. 

I’ve always observed this and it’s clearly observable but it’s a discussion people are scared to have. Can we not be totally not racist and I’m not I’m mixed btw, but discuss facts on human genetics without getting offended? 

If I have offended anyone I apologise it’s not the intent, I just find it an Interesting subject and I think there is validity to it. 

Were all mixed races, some more mixed than others, but all mixed.

13 minutes ago, SFL82 said:

If I have offended anyone I apologise it’s not the intent, I just find it an Interesting subject and I think there is validity to it

Whilst there are reasons why some black men are better sprinters that are physiological, I believe east Africans tend to be better because they run at altitude all their lives. Might be wrong. 

However I'm yet to hear of any study that says white people process information faster. 

Why is what i said an example of racism? 

Coaching? How many English coaches subconciously play young white children in playmaker roles and black children in fast wide roles? 

Players like Sancho and TAA generate a lot of assists. They have to know what they are doing with the ball. They have to process information. 

John Barnes was as smart as they come with the ball, but we remember him as being skillful, fast strong. Did that reporting have a lasting effect on how young black players viewed their role in the game? 

Just food for thought. We are all racist. Advice is to be mindful of it. 

Edited by bisright1
1 hour ago, Brutos said:

1 hour ago, Valerie said:

So funny when some white dude tells you you're not a victim of racism, it's just a matter of political correctness gone mad, you know, and by the way, where is your sense of humour...

Neither of you are actually reading what people are posting. Not one person has said there isn't racism, and  not one person has said black people have been searching for racism for 400 years. Please actually read and understand what's being said if you're going to reply.

I'm a white guy I've had much worse than being searched done to me by the police. I've was stopped several times by police for matching the description when I was younger. I was also chucked in prison for a crime I didn't commit. It finally got thrown out of court. The police made several mistakes when recording evidence and didn't include evidence that supported my case. This only was found out the day of the trial. I lost my job and was made homeless because of it. Being searched isn't too bad in comparison. 

So I'm not sure what your story of being searched actually proves. 

Again, I repeat, I know racism happens.

5 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Whilst there are reasons why some black men are better sprinters that are physiological, I believe east Africans tend to be better because they run at altitude all their lives. Might be wrong. 

However I'm yet to hear of any study that says white people process information faster. 

Why is what i said an example of racism? 

Coaching? How many English coaches subconciously play young white children in playmaker roles and black children in fast wide roles? 

Players like Sancho and TAA generate a lot of assists. They have to know what they are doing with the ball. They have to process information. 

John Barnes was as smart as they come with the ball, but we remember him as being skillful, fast strong. Did that reporting have a lasting effect on how young black players viewed their role in the game? 

Just food for thought. We are all racist. Advice is to be mindful of it. 

That’s a good point, about the coaching, it’s a fact that black players are very under represented in playmaker rolls but is that because they are coached like that or just not as good? 

I suppose if you’re fast or strong even if the coach doesn’t go with that you would yourself tend to lean on your strengths. 

It’s like on the other side of the coin little guys are always better scrappers because they have had to be you either go with a strength or compensate for a weakness. 

In fact there’s lots of things it’s assumed black boys won’t excel at if day car racing would be one then look at Lewis Hamilton. 

I think what you said is quite pivotal, people are put in roles. Maybe big strong black boys will be told to or naturally play to their physical strength and not explore that part of the game and maybe guys like Frank or Scholes who are physically nothing special at all have to start using their brains more to excel because they don’t have the physical side.

3 hours ago, Patch said:

Bit of a random reply. It's nothing to do with empathy or walking in others shoes, it's to do with accusing a writer of racism without any evidence.

It's out of order.

There you go about the evidence again.

Can I try and explain how your comments rub me the wrong way?

Racism has parallels with sexism: both are about the way a person or a group of persons are treated or thought of because of their bodies. I have not experienced racism, but I have experienced sexism. Suppose I perceive something (a remark or treatment) as sexist. Not all women would mind it as I do, but others do. And it's the same the other way around, what other women think is sexist, I wouldn't mind as much. But we'd all acknowledge that the act or remark is generally sexist. We don't deny it's sexist, or tell the other they're at fault for feeling it's sexist. The person at fault is the one who is responsible for the act or remark. And we certainly will not accept a man to tell us we're wrong to feel discriminated against. How can someone who isn't a woman presume to tell a woman something isn't sexist when she and other women clearly do feel it is? They don't have experienced this sexism once, but again and again and again. Sexism influences education, health care, housing, jobs, day-to-day interaction in society, and the media. Adult women are called 'girls', adult men are not called 'boys'. In interviews women are asked how they combine their jobs and their families, men don't get asked that. There are comments about how a woman dresses, nothing about the appearance of a man.This is all pervasive, and it's so common, most people don't even notice, and when somebody does remark on it, it's waved away as overly sensitive, it's downplayed. Or denied, then followed by the complaint they're unfairly accused of being sexist because someone dares to point out something uncomfortable.

Racism works in a similar way. And you want 'evidence' of racism. You think without such proof people are wrong to flag something (for instance media articles) as racist. Open your eyes for context, for history, listen to other people's awful experiences without yelling how one thing happened to you too so how can it be racist! 

This is not a CSI episode where they look at tangible stuff under a microscope. As Brutos said, Ask, Listen, and Learn. 

Edited by Valerie
16 minutes ago, Valerie said:

There you go about the evidence again.

Can I try and explain how your comments rub me the wrong way?

Racism has parallels with sexism: both are about the way a person or a group of persons are treated or thought of because of their bodies. I have not experienced racism, but I have experienced sexism. Suppose I perceive something (a remark or treatment) as sexist. Not all women would mind it as I do, but others do. And it's the same the other way around, what other women think is sexist, I wouldn't mind as much. But we'd all acknowledge that the act or remark is generally sexist. We don't deny it's sexist, or tell the other they're at fault for feeling it's sexist. The person at fault is the one who is responsible for the act or remark. And we certainly will not accept a man to tell us we're wrong to feel discriminated against. How can someone who isn't a woman presume to tell a woman something isn't sexist when she and other women clearly do feel it is? They don't have experienced this once, but again and again and again. Sexism influences education, health care, housing, jobs, day-to-day interaction in society, and the media. Mature women are called 'girls', mature men are not called 'boys'. In interviews women are asked how they combine their jobs and their families, men don't get asked that. There are comments about how a woman dresses, nothing about the appearance of a man.This is all pervasive, and it's so common, most people don't even notice, and when somebody does remark on it, it's waved away as overly sensitive, it's downplayed. Or denied, then followed by the complaint they're unfairly accused of being sexist because someone dares to point out something uncomfortable.

Racism works in a similar way. And you want 'evidence' of racism. You think without such proof people are wrong to flag something (for instance media articles) as racist. Open your eyes for context, for history, listen to other people's awful experiences without yelling how one thing happened to you too so how can it be racist! 

This is not a CSI episode where they look at tangible stuff under a microscope. As Brutos said, Ask, Listen, and Learn. 

So you think it's acceptable to just randomly accuse someone of racism where there's nothing to suggest there was any racism? You can't just randomly decide people are racist.

Can you see how that would rub me up the wrong way.

Just because there is racism doesn't mean we have to accept every time someone calls racism and there's no proof at all.

Let's go back to Brutos. He got searched as a kid, says it's racism and they did it because he's black. Why should I believe that to be the case when the same thing (and much worse)  has happened to me? It wouldn't make any sense to. Just because he assumed it's because he is black doesn't make it true.

Just because there is racism in this country doesn't mean everything bad that happens to a black person is due to racism, or we have to believe every case, or accuse people in specific cases without good reason. 

Again, I know there is racism, we don't need proof for that, but if you're going to accuse people of racism there better be a reason for it. People struggle to be able to talk about racism in a sensible way, as shown here.

Edited by Patch
3 minutes ago, Patch said:

So you think it's acceptable to just randomly accuse someone of racism where there's nothing to suggest there was any racism?

Can you see how that would rub me up the wrong way.

Just because there is racism doesn't mean we have to accept every time someone calls racism and there's no proof at all.

Let's go back to Brutos. He got searched as a kid, says it's racism and they did it because he's black. Why should I believe that to be the case when the same thing (and much worse)  has happened to me? It wouldn't make any sense to. Just because he assumed it's because he is black doesn't make it true.

Just because there is racism in this country doesn't mean everything bad that happens to a black person is due to racism, or we have to believe every case, or accuse people in specific cases without good reason. 

Again, I know there is racism, we don't need proof for that, but if you're going to accuse people of racism there better be a reason for it. People struggle to be able to talk a racism in a sensible way, as shown here.

I disagree anybody has randomly accused of being racist, or that people have not discussed it in a sensible way. On the whole posts in this thread have been very sensible. And you cling to Brutos' story as example why not everything that happens to a person of colour is due to racism, on the sole argument that it has happened to you as well and much worse too. I'm sorry this has happened to Brutos, and I'm sorry it has happened to you. But telling your story is a classic diversion, it's 'what about-ism'. What happened to Brutos happens to many black men, it's practically par for the course. Because of race it's exactly why it happened to him, and to thousands of black men. It's not for nothing the expression "driving while black" has been coined. You say there needs to be a reason to accuse people of racism. There is. Their behaviour and their talk are systematically experienced as racist by people of colour. Not once, but again and again, their entire lives. And then they have to explain their feelings, because some people don't believe them. Racism brings nothing but misery.

9 hours ago, bisright1 said:

The story of footballer spends millions and he isn't worth it, plays particularly well if that footballer is black. It also plays well if he is scouse. It's a class thing and unconscious racism. The general English public think black people are working class, poor and so it is "surprising" to see someone have an expensive house. The papers treat scousers in a similar way which is why Wayne Rooney got a lot of similar attention. People don't think of scousers or black people being rich or successful. That's my opinion on it. Hopefully we start to see that unconscious view change.

I think CHO can't complain about race or unfair treatment in this instance - and he hasn't. 

On race, I found it interesting when someone said "how often do you call a black player 'intelligent' and how often do you say they are 'strong'". That made me think.

Scousers deserve it for being scousers though.

28 minutes ago, Valerie said:

I disagree anybody has randomly accused of being racist, or that people have not discussed it in a sensible way. On the whole posts in this thread have been very sensible. And you cling to Brutos' story as example why not everything that happens to a person of colour is due to racism, on the sole argument that it has happened to you as well and much worse too. I'm sorry this has happened to Brutos, and I'm sorry it has happened to you. But telling your story is a classic diversion, it's 'what about-ism'. What happened to Brutos happens to many black men, it's practically par for the course. Because of race it's exactly why it happened to him, and to thousands of black men. It's not for nothing the expression "driving while black" has been coined. You say there needs to be a reason to accuse people of racism. There is. Their behaviour and their talk are systematically experienced as racist by people of colour. Not once, but again and again, their entire lives. And then they have to explain their feelings, because some people don't believe them. Racism brings nothing but misery.

People in this thread where accusing that person of writing that article of being a racist and you just decided that the policemen who searched Brutos did it because of race.

I certainly don't think you have discussed it in a sensible way. You've been very childish at times.

(the bolded bit) You don't know that and you can't make that claim. You're just randomly deciding to believe it happened because of race and randomly accuse the policemen involved of being racists (something you just said no one has done). That's unacceptable. Has it occurred to you that police make mistakes or just follow up on information? Of that they were just doing their job?

The same thing and worse happened to me several times and that's not racism. A lesser thing happens to Brutos and it is. If what happened to me had happened to Brutos, you both would claim that it was because black. There's no logic to what you're saying. Brutos didn't go through anything bad anyway. He was just searched, that's it. 

It's very dumb to just assume things without knowing the facts just because it happens often elsewhere.

Edited by Patch
6 hours ago, Patch said:

Beckham was getting criticised by the press not living the lifestyle of a footballer as he started dating a pop star six to eight months after making his debut. His lifestyle was questioned very early on in his career.  They were writing negative articles about him very early on.

Giggs was very high profile when he broke through and there was a lot of talk in the papers about how much money he was earning. I actually think it was worse back then as the press and managers had the opinion that young players should wait until they earn big money.

Anyway, let's not ruin this thread with non Hudson Odoi stuff. Anyone can PM if they want to continue discussing this.

Oh I didn't know that he was being depicted as someone not living the lifestyle of a football player, I always thought that it was pretty obvious that he's a celebrity even outside of football...Thanks for clarifying.

Again you try to reason racism away. The fact that your nasty experience happened to you doesn' t automatically preclude racism in Brutos' experience. You use false logic. He told us what the police said: he fit the description. He 's black. Were you arrested because of your skin colour? What are the chances of it happening to you again? I'd say fairly minimal. What are the chances of it happening again to Brutos? Fairly substantial, because there is a history of racial profiling by the police.

And why are articles racist? Because millions of black people would flag it as racist. Something isn't not racist because a white bloke like you says it isn't. It's gow it's perceived in the context of so much more, that's what counts. Nothing childish about that.

Edited by Valerie

19 minutes ago, Valerie said:

Again you try to reason racism away. The fact that your nasty experience happened to you doesn' t automatically preclude racism in Brutos' experience. You use false logic. He told us what the police said: he fit the description. He 's black. Were you arrested because of your skin colour? What are the chances of it happening to you again? I'd say fairly minimal. What are the chances of it happening again to Brutos? Fairly substantial, because there is a history of racial profiling by the police.

And why are articles racist? Because millions of black people would flag it as racist. Something isn't not racist because a white bloke like you says it isn't. It's gow it's perceived in the context of so much more, that's what counts. Nothing childish about that.

You're not reading the posts. It's the second time  you've done this. Please actually read the posts before replying.

You would know the answer if you had bothered reading my post. It's happened several times to me and I was also told I fit the description. That's a common thing police say when investigating a crime. I've also wrongly been put in jail for a crime I didn't commit partly because of police mistakes, so it seems you're wrong that the chances of it happening to me again are minimal. I've had far more bad luck than Bruto's has with being treated badly by the police. 

I never said that what happened to me precludes racism in Bruto's experience. Where are you getting that idea from? I am saying you can't just automatically assume that it was racism when exactly the same thing also happens to white men. Description doesn't just mean skin colour!  I never said it's impossible it happened because of race, but the fact it happened to a black man doesn't automatically mean it was racial. I'm not reasoning racism away. I just don't randomly accuse people of being racism without good reason.

Being black or white doesn't make someones opinion more worthy. It's not how it's perceived that counts, it's the intention and the facts that count. Being white doesn't make my opinion any less. 

Edited by Patch
8 hours ago, Patch said:

You're not reading the posts. It's the second time  you've done this. Please actually read the posts before replying.

You would know the answer if you had bothered reading my post. It's happened several times to me and I was also told I fit the description. That's a common thing police say when investigating a crime. I've also wrongly been put in jail for a crime I didn't commit partly because of police mistakes, so it seems you're wrong that the chances of it happening to me again are minimal. I've had far more bad luck than Bruto's has with being treated badly by the police. 

I never said that what happened to me precludes racism in Bruto's experience. Where are you getting that idea from? I am saying you can't just automatically assume that it was racism when exactly the same thing also happens to white men. Description doesn't just mean skin colour!  I never said it's impossible it happened because of race, but the fact it happened to a black man doesn't automatically mean it was racial. I'm not reasoning racism away. I just don't randomly accuse people of being racism without good reason.

Being black or white doesn't make someones opinion more worthy. It's not how it's perceived that counts, it's the intention and the facts that count. Being white doesn't make my opinion any less. 

Oh, I read your posts. And I read self pity if not white anger. And I see that you acknowledge the existence of racism (without condemning it btw), but only as a general concept. When it actually happens to individuals, you deny it's a racial incident.  You, as a white person, tell people of colour that their perception doesn't count, because someone didn't mean to be racist. 

You're so laughable, it's pathetic. I'm done with you, don't expect any more replies crom me on your blinkered posts. That's what you want, isn't it, live in your own aggrieved little bubble.

13 hours ago, Scott said:

Come on Callum!!

That reel brings back so much memories. Much appreciated. So many quality goals from there to enjoy. That individual solo run against WBA U18 in the 7-0 rout in the FAYC.  That hattrick against Sunderland in the U23 game. 2 of those goas as showing in the clips were absolutely fantastic. The double he scored at the Bridge in the FAYC game against Birmingham U18 was fantastic too. The free kick and the goal from 5:17 was outstanding. Thanks a lot!

4 hours ago, Valerie said:

Oh, I read your posts. And I read self pity if not white anger. And I see that you acknowledge the existence of racism (without condemning it btw), but only as a general concept. When it actually happens to individuals, you deny it's a racial incident.  You, as a white person, tell people of colour that their perception doesn't count, because someone didn't mean to be racist. 

You're so laughable, it's pathetic. I'm done with you, don't expect any more replies crom me on your blinkered posts. That's what you want, isn't it, live in your own aggrieved little bubble.

There's no anger from me. You're making things up again. You also clearly didn't read the posts.

This is what I'm talking about people not being able to have a sensible discussion about racism. You're getting too emotional and can't debate anyone with a different opinion to yours without bringing my race into it (white anger 🤣) and being childish.

I treat everyone the same no matter what the race. You're the one who changes his opinion based on what someone's race is. You're the one who says some races opinions matters less than others. People like you are part of the problem. Stop seeing people's race and judge each incident on it's own merit and each person the same, no matter what race they are. 

I deny a incident is racist when you and Bruto's have no idea if it was a racist incident.  Something bad (not that it was even bad) happening to a black guy doesn't automatically make it racist. It's childish and an unintelligent way of thinking. Yes perception doesn't count. Just thinking something is racist doesn't mean it is. Intention and facts are what count, not how it is perceived. What if the police were just doing their jobs and following up on the information they had and there was no racist intent but Bruto's thought it was racism, would it still be a racist incident? Of course not.

Edited by Patch