Callum Hudson-Odoi

1 hour ago, Brutos said:

As stated in my humble opinion this will come down to his mentality to become great, and if he thinks I have a big contract and CHO is set for life, I can cruise I have nothing to prove he will not get better. But if he has the mentality of I want to be the BEST at CFC and Europe, then he will get to a very high level.

Agreed. There's no doubts about his raw talents, however what is his ultimate goals/desires? Is he inspired to win Balon d'or? Is he inspired to win EPL/CL trophies?

With Pulisic's emergence, and the arrivals of Werner and Ziyech; playing times will be very hard to come by. And if the club decides to give Willian a 2/3 year contract, and he keeps performing the ways he had been this season; then CHO got lots of work to do to get in the starting line up. 

27 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

Agreed. There's no doubts about his raw talents, however what is his ultimate goals/desires? Is he inspired to win Balon d'or? Is he inspired to win EPL/CL trophies?

With Pulisic's emergence, and the arrivals of Werner and Ziyech; playing times will be very hard to come by. And if the club decides to give Willian a 2/3 year contract, and he keeps performing the ways he had been this season; then CHO got lots of work to do to get in the starting line up. 

It doesn't seem that Willian will get a new deal so having 3 wingers and not 4 will guarantee that CHO will get his chance next season, we do play 38 games in PL and since we plan to keep the top 4 spot then we'll also have CL and FA,League Cup...CHO was starting games ahead of Pulisic for a short time period as well, he will get his chance next season but like you say it's going to be hard for him to enter the starting lineup.

What is important for him in this stage is to avoid further injuries, it has been IMO his biggest problem so far in his career, he has shown that he isn't afraid of taking on player, next season he'll be 20 years old.

NamnlösC.png

7 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

It doesn't seem that Willian will get a new deal so having 3 wingers and not 4 will guarantee that CHO will get his chance next season, we do play 38 games in PL and since we plan to keep the top 4 spot then we'll also have CL and FA,League Cup...CHO was starting games ahead of Pulisic for a short time period as well, he will get his chance next season but like you say it's going to be hard for him to enter the starting lineup.

What is important for him in this stage is to avoid further injuries, it has been IMO his biggest problem so far in his career, he has shown that he isn't afraid of taking on player, next season he'll be 20 years old.

NamnlösC.png

That's quite a bit of injuries in a single season.

Very similar to Pulisic's injuries situation during his last season for Dortmund. He was unavailable for about 1/3 of the season due to injuries.

21 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

That's quite a bit of injuries in a single season.

Very similar to Pulisic's injuries situation during his last season for Dortmund. He was unavailable for about 1/3 of the season due to injuries.

Yea, I think people pointed out here that he actually looked different when he came back from one of his bigger injuries, when he was at full health and form he was really running at players with no fear but after injury he was looking even more timid than RLC is looking now. Had he not been so unlucky he would have progressed faster by now.

So great to see him back for what has been a testing year. Honestly wondering though if he’d benefit from a year on loan. Perhaps we need to hold onto his quality, but my preference would be resign Willian for a couple of years and rotate with Pulisic and Ziyech. I think that leaves us light for a 4th choice winger with Pedro gone, but something doesn’t seem quite right with his approach right now. I recall him being much more direct. 

4 hours ago, PhilH930 said:

So great to see him back for what has been a testing year. Honestly wondering though if he’d benefit from a year on loan. Perhaps we need to hold onto his quality, but my preference would be resign Willian for a couple of years and rotate with Pulisic and Ziyech. I think that leaves us light for a 4th choice winger with Pedro gone, but something doesn’t seem quite right with his approach right now. I recall him being much more direct. 

Nope.. the only other guy bar Pulisic that is willing to run at the fullback constantly. The pace of the game changed & has always changed whenever he comes on because he drives at the defence.

Won’t be loaning him out, & might be in the minority not at the expense of Willian.

He did look good last night. Needs to show he can do it consistently and do it from starting games too, rather than coming on in the last 15 minutes and having a nice cameo. Not sure whether I would be starting him next game, but if Willian is off his game then he can certainly be introduced earlier

I really want to see him play more than Willian. He has some end product and Willian probably won't be here next year. 

Maybe not in the games we have left this year but he should have started against Norwich imo. 

18 hours ago, PhilH930 said:

100% agree! Willian is just simply a better player. I think a lot of people on here are massively under estimating the contribution Willian has made to the team, the lad has still got it and i would far sooner see him in the mix than CHO! Send Callum out on loan, perhaps that will give him the boot up the arse needed to become a legitimate top player capable of competing with the likes of Pulisic, Ziyech, Werner etc.

Edited by Jackbuchanan
2 minutes ago, Argo said:

If you add all round package then possibly but in terms of final 3rd decision making no way!

He has weaknesses, but yeah he's a good player. Great ball control, has a good shot, good defensive contribution, workrate, stamina, acceleration, speed, pens, free kicks. His corners are infuriating though 🙄

Hudson Odoi is still raw, and the injury really stunted his growth, shame! So Willian is the better option for next year, whether thats logistically possible is another matter.

6 hours ago, rtwelch said:

If CHO played the same number of minutes as Willian next season I would hedge a bet you would see more goals and assists from CHO and he would be integrated into the team better. It’s a no brainier who to have here next season for me.

At what cost though? Or in other words, where will we be without Willian's defensive contribution?

Edited by the special one
8 hours ago, Jackbuchanan said:

100% agree! Willian is just simply a better player. I think a lot of people on here are massively under estimating the contribution Willian has made to the team, the lad has still got it and i would far sooner see him in the mix than CHO! Send Callum out on loan, perhaps that will give him the boot up the arse needed to become a legitimate top player capable of competing with the likes of Pulisic, Ziyech, Werner etc.

Boot up the arse? He’s recovering from a horrendous injury that’s kept him out for the best part of a year.

Pulisic has 2 years on him.

Werner - 5 years.

Ziyech - 9 years.

In regards to resigning Willian. Under no circumstances should the club be doing that. He’s ever had end product in his entire time with us and if we’re looking to play attacking football then we need that. Willian has been a great servant to the club and a good player in other aspects of his game.

But the time is definitely right, let him go and bring in Benrahma. 

That leaves us Pulisic, Ziyech, CHO, Benrahma on the wings with Mount/Timo able to cover in emergencies. Willian has made it clear he’s not the type to accept not being a starter under Conte.

Also, if I have to watch another 3 years of him taking our corners I might poke my eyes out.

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

He’s ever had end product in his entire time with us   career

There you go, fixed that for you.  That would be because that isn't the player that he is, that we bought, that every manager has used in that position, that Brazil consider to be acceptable for their squad and that Barcelona were reputed to want to but last season.

Horses for courses, mate.  Willian fulfils a role, but not as an out and out goal scorer.  Never has and never will.  But playing out from the back against a hard press from a team of donkeys who run around a lot, I can't think of anyone I would rather see running with the ball or receiving the ball in a tight situation.

Oh, and just because a lot of us repeat it over and over, doesn't make it true that his corners always hit the first man.  That's just lazy and slack comments.  You can't blame Willian if the rest of the team prove unable to get on the end of corners, the defenders are more committed, or, as the other night, our main corner targets proved they couldn't hit a banjo with a cow's arse from a free header..

Edited by yorkleyblue
12 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

There you go, fixed that for you.  That would be because that isn't the player that he is, that we bought, that every manager has used in that position, that Brazil consider to be acceptable for their squad and that Barcelona were reputed to want to but last season.

Horses for courses, mate.  Willian fulfils a role, but not as an out and out goal scorer.  Never has and never will.  But playing out from the back against a hard press from a team of donkeys who run around a lot, I can't think of anyone I would rather see running with the ball or receiving the ball in a tight situation.

Oh, and just because a lot of us repeat it over and over, doesn't make it true that his corners always hit the first man.  That's just lazy and slack comments.  You can't blame Willian if the rest of the team prove unable to get on the end of corners, the defenders are more committed, or, as the other night, our main corner targets proved they couldn't hit a banjo with a cow's arse from a free header..

I agree he has a role and I’ve said that above, but in my opinion - it’s time to move on from him. Giving him a 3 year contract on his wages with his attitude when he’s on the bench will be a mistake. Are you disagreeing with that based on the behaviour we’ve seen in the past?

In terms of players running with the ball or having it in tight spaces - I would entirely prefer if Pulisic was the one running with the ball/receiving it in tight spaces. 

Yorkley, you’re kidding me on if you think the comments on his corner taking is lazy and untrue. Almost everyone can see how poor he is at corner taking, which is odd because he’s a great free kick taker. He very very often hits the first man or over hits them. I even have mates of rival teams who watch us who have passed comment on it!

As I say, I like him as a squad player and he definitely has a place in the squad but he won’t be happy with that and not for 3 years. Been a very good player for us but the times come for us to part amicably IMO. I wouldn’t like Frank to start reducing his playing time and for Willian to go Conte season 2 on us again. That’s not going to help the dressing room or the relationship with fans/the club.

Next season is a huge one for him! Well past his injury so no excuses. He produced a lovely moment the other night when  he ran at defenders then laid off a nice ball which nearly ended in what would have been a brilliantly worked goal. That is what we need to see a lot more of - confidence and no hesitation to run at defenders rather than too often looking to make a safe pass.  If he produces enough of those runs, adds enough goals and assists, he'll make it at Chelsea. If he doesn't, he'll eventually be moved on. 

Edited by Dixon

45 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

Oh, and just because a lot of us repeat it over and over, doesn't make it true that his corners always hit the first man.  That's just lazy and slack comments. 

That's true, his corners flew over everybody's heads a few times recently and landed behind the goalline :tongue:

Anyway, despite all that, I hope he stays for the next season. With all the kids and the newbies his experience will be needed, and he delivers (most of the time).

56 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Yorkley, you’re kidding me on if you think the comments on his corner taking is lazy and untrue. Almost everyone can see how poor he is at corner taking, which is odd because he’s a great free kick taker. He very very often hits the first man or over hits them.

I just think that is a simplistic view of the subject.  Just because a defender clears it, it doesn't count as "hit the first man".  By definition there are always more defenders than attackers in the penalty area for a corner, so the odds are always in favour of the defence.  He does overhit them form time to time, I grant you, but then why is there never anyone attacking that area at the far post?

I agree that his corners aren't prime beckham level, but I don't think he is any more inconsistent in corners than anyone else.  My ideal corner taker would be Reece.  That boy has a wicked cross on him.

Was it 2 or 3 free headers from Willian corners that Rudiger or Zouma couldn't manage to get on target the other night?

34 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

I just think that is a simplistic view of the subject.  Just because a defender clears it, it doesn't count as "hit the first man".  By definition there are always more defenders than attackers in the penalty area for a corner, so the odds are always in favour of the defence.  He does overhit them form time to time, I grant you, but then why is there never anyone attacking that area at the far post?

I agree that his corners aren't prime beckham level, but I don't think he is any more inconsistent in corners than anyone else.  My ideal corner taker would be Reece.  That boy has a wicked cross on him.

Was it 2 or 3 free headers from Willian corners that Rudiger or Zouma couldn't manage to get on target the other night?

Totally but a lot of the time he does actually hit the first man who’s standing at the front of the 6 yard box which isn’t really acceptable at this level in my opinion. 

I totally agree mate, I don’t like the way we attack the ball either and you won’t see me disagreeing with you about that but at least if you put it in that area between the penalty spot & 6 yard box you have a chance. Whether it’s a player making a mistake to have the ball drop to us or at least giving out attacking players (in the corner sense) a chance to win it - like the other night, I thought they were much better. 

I actually thought it was 3/4 and like I say he was much better with it against Norwich but a one off isn’t enough. I will concede that even when he does put them on the money, whoever connects with it inevitably make a hash of it ala Rudiger and Zouma who you would expect to do much better with those type of chances.

I'm not convinced CHO has a good future here, recently he has come on as a sub and not done that much yet has not lost the ball either.

Think we will keep him to Xmas  yet if nothing of substance materialises I think it is likely he will become part of the loan army.